Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS swap to a Toyota FJ

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS swap to a Toyota FJ

I am doing the initial leg work, as the title says, I am will be working toward a LS to 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser.
I am looking for the rough area of 450/450 hp/torque and a 4L-xx transmission and a transfer case that will get me about 4 to 1 Atlas2, maybe?
I do know there will be many challenges.
The first concern will be the length of the drive train. I am trying to keep the fuel system intact, except for changing pump/ delivery.
It also need to meet emissions, which means I will need to swap in a 07 up motor/pcm and run cats.

We have looked at the engine bay and everything looks doable. There will be some gusseting, frame strengthening, tie overs, etc and I will probably need hugger headers, or custom.

Phase 2 will be the rear dif, but for now we will do drive shafts and get it on the road .

Thi project will take me some months to do the research and acquire the correct components, before I start hacking the old motor out.

I wanted to start this thread to bounce ideas off and hear from the pro's

I have a few main reasons to do this, but ultimately it's because I want to do it.

I could buy a new truck, but I am happy with what I have, just not the power .

I know this will cost me lots of $$$, but so would a new truck.

Here is the subject
Old 08-27-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

looks like a sweet truck as is , good luck with the build.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:27 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is going to be sweet. I had a Trail Teams FJ, and the only thing I disliked about it was how underpowered it was.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Launching!

Looks to be an interesting swap. I would look at some of the other Toyota swaps with the GR engine for ideas
Old 08-27-2012, 02:11 PM

Great idea . I will be scouring other swaps to see if I can get any pointers
thanks
Old 08-27-2012, 02:15 PM

Here is a link to my build thread on the FJ Cruiser forum.
it will show how my mods have evolved throughout the years, Trial error and more money spent. after all of that, I actually have a pretty good idea of how to go about doing upgrades, without doing them more than once.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...other-gal.html
Old 08-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Restricted User

Subscribed!! Nice FJ to start with.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Why not take the whole drivetrain - engine, trans, xfer case, axles/shafts - out of a TB SS, Silverado SS, Escalade, Yukon Denali, or other 4wd/AWD truck and go from there? Seems like the driveshaft is easy (cut to length) and the only real challenge would be the location of the front shafts to ensure you have acceptable angles once you make the length correct. Am I way off on this?
Old 08-28-2012, 12:59 PM

I have considered that , but I want to retain some of the systems, not being affected by the motor swap.
Specifically the abs- a-trac system . Plus the dif would have to be altered for track width .
Some of the replacement differentials, actually are direct bolt on. Then all I need is the drive shafts.
The transfer case is the wild card. It probably would be a pretty easy swap, just to do the transfer case, that goes the donor but, the length, orientation and gear ratio, are factors, I will be looking at.
I know the atlas can be clocked, to raise the transfer case, above the frame rails . This I one improvement, over stock, that is a must do, for better break over. The clocking yields 3+ inches, on break over.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Away man! Love the project. I LOVE my FJ and only occasionally wish for more power. But I have always thought that once Its worn out...I wanna build an ls powered SAS'd off road truck. I will be watching this thread. Wish you all the best!

Quick Reply: LS swap to a Toyota FJ