Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to swaps

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to swaps

Ok im wanting to do a swap in my 94 T/A.
My issues right now:
1--Ive never done any major engine work before.
2--Ive never done a swap.
3--I dont have the tools for the complete job, but i want to do as much by myself as possible.

My goals:
1--Ordering all new suspension from Stranoparts for christmas.
2--Wanting to do an LQ4 or 9 swap.
3--Wanting between 450-500hp to the wheels.

So far, what i have is a magnaflow cat back, ORY, no cat, handmade CAI, frame ties, Summit racing springs up front. Ive already done a good deal of weight reduction.

I really just need to know every little thing im gonna need for this swap, down to the t. Also, input/advice/pros/cons between the LQ4 and LQ9, since deciding which to go with is my first wall.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:40 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

First question, what transmission do you want to run?

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 09-24-2012, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

I am gonna tell you right now not to do this yet. You are making the right decision to go LS for your goals, but since it sounds like you have no idea even where to begin that this is not something you can tackle right now. My advice would be to start researching, lot of info out there on this setup and to find a local mentor. Someone who has done it before or has enough mechanical knowledge experience to help you make sure you get all the parts needed, and you get it put together right.

Its actually really easy and all your answers are on here, but if you have to start a thread asking for every detail you are not ready.

Start reading: https://www.google.com/search?q=lt1+...w=1600&bih=728

I can help with the first issue though, only difference between Lq4 and lq9 is the 9 has flat top pistons and the 4 are dished. So you will have higher compression on the 9, but you will pay for that little difference. No good way to tell which is which though besides that and the swap itself will be identical for either. To get 450-500 wheel you are going to have to do H/C with some good longtubes as well and I assume you have budgeted for that.

Last edited by jrob56; 09-24-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Benji17
Ok im wanting to do a swap in my 94 T/A.
My issues right now:
1--Ive never done any major engine work before.
2--Ive never done a swap.
3--I dont have the tools for the complete job, but i want to do as much by myself as possible.

I really just need to know every little thing im gonna need for this swap, down to the t.
Swaps are alopt of fun. That being said, they are not for the inexperienced or faint of heart. They is a reason there are more unfinished swap projects for sale than there are clean swapped rigs. I would suggest going forward with you suspension purchase and building up your tool inventory. Nobody has to have an LS- wrench on your car and get some experience before you take on a project of this size.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most of the parts that you need are already in the junk yards or for in the for sale sections.. getting a complete Doner car would be a good Idea if you could afford it.. that way you can see what you need to remove and how it goes back on and have all the parts needed. That is just an option.

The main items to make your life a lot simpler is to get the K-Member from a late 4th Gen and some of the parts that are required to be replaced going from early to late 4th Gen. Get a Factory Service manual. (rack and pinion, frame and engine mounts, etc)

As everyone said, Do a lot of Research by reading and following simular build threads on this and other Forums. Find someone who has completed the swap and talk to them.

Also. the question would by why swap a LSx motore to early 4th gen ?.. the cost of them showing up now adays, you could buy a 4th gen with a LS1 cheap enough to start with. Build your knowledge of the car, engine and trans. Then go forward with a LQ4/9 swap down the road.

Just adding my 2 Cents..

BC
Old 09-24-2012, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool we have the same name,Benji.

Heed these guys advice to hold off on the swap.First thing to do is read and search this forum.Every time you have a question pop into your head,write it down,search here,search google,then ask here if you're unsure or can't find the answer.I have done a lot of swaps over the past 20 years.I searched google for the info I needed and landed here.I am greatful for the people here, that are willing to share their knowledge for the price of keeping the trend going.

My swap is way different than most and I only know of one other.He has his posted here.Thanks to him and the others,my swap will go off without a hitch.I wish the interwebs would have been around when I did my first swap.It was complete trail and error along with getting help from a person than knew some whose brother's cousin's uncle's great grand dad's father did one like that.

In the mean time fill your tool box up with tools.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition to all the info here, there are a couple of books published recently dealing with LS Swaps. I believe this one has gotten good reviews.

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-25-2012, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Default Reply

My favorite is the one that Joe Potak wrote and this is also available at Amazon.com for $18.47. The book is GM LS-Series engines:The Complete Swap Manual. This is by far my favorite. I also have the one written by Jefferson Bryant but I refer to the one by Joe Potak almost daily. EXCELLANT reading. Joe also has another book out. He is also a forum director on LS1tech.com. The book is written on quality paper and has LOADS of pictures and is written with the novice swapper as well as the experienced mechanic in mind. This is the best $18.47 that you can spend.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Ok that didnt come out the way i wanted.
1-I have a T56
2-I understand the basics of what I'm gonna need, such as heads, cam, crank, rack and pinion, and so on. By "every little thing," I meant gaskets, rods, studs, sensors. The little stuff.

This is gonna be a slow, steady build, since im dealing with a baby and Navy stuff.

I'm gonna go with the LQ4.

And not to be a downer, but i dont have anyone around with intimate mechanical knowledge. So machine work, and putting everything back together the RIGHT way is what im gonna need a shop for.

Quick Reply: New to swaps