Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range (PRNDL) switch on 4l60e for conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range (PRNDL) switch on 4l60e for conversion

Desperate and need some help please. I have a 2000 Camaro LS-1 engine and 4l60e trans installing in my nova s/w. The wiring harness is a Painless 60608 which includes the car and Fuel/Trans management harness. It has a large square connector for an external range selector on the trans. The trans does not have the switch and would entail I think a shift shaft replacement as it is longer to accommodate the switch. Painless says it must be used to work properly. Does this trans have an internal selector since it had the switch on the floor shifter in the car. Can the PCM be flashed to ignore it or does to have to do with the shifting as well as starting and bu lights. Thanks in advance. I have spent hours reading and studying but cannot get a definate answer.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many wires are on the harness / connector.. ? might be able to just wire it up to your Nova Column switch..?

I am using a OEM converted harness on my Nova. .I am just wiring it up to the Column shifter Switch, it is a bit off since my Nova was a 2 speed trans, I am going to try and find a TH350 / 3speed switch to see if that helpe the alignement as the N is a bit off, so if not, I will just start it up in Park everytime then..

Edit

What are you using for a shifter ?.. that might help on what to do..

I just looked up the manual for that harness.. it is only showing the Purple wire to the starter.. the switch is also a Reverse light switch.. might not have to worry about that, if you backup light are working as is with the current shifter.

you might be able to wire up a few options. using the Nova switch and maybe some relays if needed. you might put a relay between the purple wires and use the Nova switch to active the relay.

But let us know what the rest of your set up is ...

Last edited by bczee; 10-24-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have reworked several harness and deleted that switch connector. You do not have to have it for the motor/tranny to work correctly.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

According to LT1swap.com you can program the PCM to accept a single wire park switch input.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Thanks to all for the info.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:23 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I`m guessing you have a f-body 4l60e. That switch is used on the trucks and IIRC maybe the vettes too in order to tell the pcm and the instrument cluster what gear the shift lever is in. It can be programmed out, the best way is to flash the PCM to accept the f-body style single wire P/N input where the wire gets a ground signal in park and neutral. You don`t really want to completely eliminate that switch as then the PCM does not know if the engine is in gear or freespinning in neutral/park. The PCM uses different timing, fueling, airflow, etc tables depending on if the car is in a gear or park/neutral. Therefore if you eliminate the switch completely you may have problems with stalling or even lost power/fuel econ depending on how the PCM is tuned. There are a decent amount of people who have eliminated it without issue, but why risk it when you can easily switch over to a single wire P/N switch setup fairly easily.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:17 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. It's the switch that is missing from the trans. You are suggesting to tape up the plug then use a neutral safety switch on my floor shifter and flash the pcm?
Old 10-25-2012, 09:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmac5
Thanks for the info. It's the switch that is missing from the trans. You are suggesting to tape up the plug then use a neutral safety switch on my floor shifter and flash the pcm?
You need to put a wire in the C1 #34 location on the PCM plug if there isn't already one there, then hook it to a switch that is grounded in park and neutral. Then have the PNP switch part of the tune set to F body specs.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
You need to put a wire in the C1 #34 location on the PCM plug if there isn't already one there, then hook it to a switch that is grounded in park and neutral. Then have the PNP switch part of the tune set to F body specs.
Thank You very much. The build can continue- just the info I was looking for.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Originally Posted by G-Body
the best way is to flash the PCM to accept the f-body style single wire P/N input where the wire gets a ground signal in park and neutral.
Originally Posted by jmespe1
According to LT1swap.com you can program the PCM to accept a single wire park switch input.
I'm bumping up an older thread, found it in a search and relavent to my question

Trying to hook up a P/N switch using a spare safety neutral switch mounted in the horseshoe shifter of my 71 camaro. I'm going to ground one side and have already ran wires to Pins 32 and 34 on the blue connector.

I ran a wire to pin 32 just in case I need it since it was a pain to get to and run, I was reading online about tying these two wires together

https://forum.efilive.com/showthread...or-Switch-(PNP)

I have a 2004 PCM with the express Van tune, and once I have the switch wired and adjusted to show ground in Park and Neutral is this the only setting I need to mess with in HPtuners and set it to "PN Only" ??

Thanks in advance

Name:  2016-03-30%2007.24.18_zpsvdsvxpna.jpg
Views: 4809
Size:  1.21 MB
Old 03-30-2016, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

thats the one I used, no issues here.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply, do you think I can ignore PIN 32 and just use PIN 34? And set the setting to "PN Only" and be good?

Or is PIN 32 a PCM ground output? I noticed it was black / white stripe on the Pin out diagram...thats usually a ground according to the other wires of that color
Old 03-30-2016, 09:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

You just need pin #34 if you are setting it up like an F body with the single wire park/neutral switch. You can remove the rest.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

cool thanks
Old 03-31-2016, 10:36 AM
Teching In

I found a Ron Francis switch NS600 that was made for this situation when I originally posted years ago. Don't know if they still produce it but worked great. Even the bu lights are working. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Range (PRNDL) switch on 4l60e for conversion