Sponsored by:

86 Monte SS. 5.3, Single turbo, Megasquirt II. Lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cprmn14
Getting close!
Are you using the truck accessorys or did you purchase f-body acc.?

Merry Christmas
Right now I am planning on the truck accessories. The alternator looks like it will fit under the hood. I will have to cut off the alternator idler pulley. I think I can make it work though. Pics will follow!

Originally Posted by YungSteph
I read thru this twice and excellent job. I'll be following this thread close because I'm going to use a gbody for my build. I might have missed it but how are you going to control the 4l80e while using the ms2? The engine looks great
Right now I am not sure what controller I will use for the 4L80E. I am going to get it fired and moving around the yard with the 200R4. I am thinking of using the MegaShift but I don't know yet. Aftermarket trans controllers are expensive.

Originally Posted by rotor vs. piston
When you use velcro ties you'll learn to hate wax string

Can't wait to see some numbers!
You must be involved with civilian aviation. The military is about 20 years behind the civilian world when it comes to aerospace technology haha! For till those of us still in the military what are velcro ties?

Originally Posted by sq_creations
The build is looking awesome. Is the turbo kit next?
The next step is gonna be getting this thing fired! And that is not far off now.

I am so close to lighting this beast off I can almost taste it! I had a horrible time getting the 24 tooth reluctor wheel getting its signal to the MegaSquirt. It took 6 days of messing with it to get it straightened out. But finally I got it working!!! By the way, these truck coils make a HOT spark! No I didn't get zapped, but watching those arcs across the plugs while I cranked the engine was quite impressive. My MegaSquirt II will definitely control both fuel and spark on this swap. I am pretty happy with that.

Here is the MSII and relay board mounted on the drivers floor, drivers seat has obviously been removed in this pic. The wiring on the left is temporary and will be removed and replaced with heavier gauge wire and neatened up considerably before she hits the road.

Name:  MSunderseat.jpg
Views: 2070
Size:  114.9 KB

Under the hood things have come a long ways too. The fuel system is all plumbed in and looks awesome. I have powered up the fuel pump a whole bunch and it works awesome. The Bosch 044 is LOUD, but when the motor is running I doubt I will even be able to hear it. Exhaust manifolds are in place but will be coming back off to be sandblasted and painted with high temp paint before turbo mock up starts.

Name:  fuelsystemplumbed.jpg
Views: 2103
Size:  156.0 KB

Here is a video I made for another forum I am documenting this build on. It explains a little bit about the MegaSquirt system and how it works.

Stay tuned. I am really close to hearing this thing bark!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Default It lives!!!

She is alive! MS2 Controlling both fuel and spark on an LSx with nothing but the 24 tooth reluctor wheel for an ignition reference!

I won't be updating again until mid April. Uncle Sam has seen fit to send me to a tech school for a couple months and I am leaving shortly. But I did at least getting her running. It is obviously running pig rich in the video and it is so loud with open manifolds and in the garage that it just blows the mics away on both cameras. But it IS running at this point. I am pretty pleased.

Keep an eye out this spring for more of this thing!

Enjoy the vid and turn it up!

Old 01-13-2013, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Very nice! I actually just bought a 80 Malibu this past week with plans of basically the same thing. My first step outside of the Mustang world...lol
Old 01-13-2013, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

What type of tuning did you have to do just to start the car at this stage?
thanks for your videos,, im looking into the MS system
Old 01-13-2013, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

did you use a write up to get the ms2 unit running? if so which article and can you post it for those of us that will be running it.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by waybad
What type of tuning did you have to do just to start the car at this stage?
thanks for your videos,, im looking into the MS system
No tuning to speak of to get the car to start. Using the paid for version of Tuner Studio (tuning software designed to work with the MegaSquirt) you can generate a basic fuel table, known as a VE table, to get started. You plug in your engine displacement and expected HP and it will give you a very rough starting table. Beyond that you need to make your own spark map and plug in a few other parameters, known as constants, and you should be able to at least get the engine idling.

Go and read EVERYTHING at www.megamanual.com When you are done read it again, that will give you a really good understanding of what makes the MegaSquirt tick and should help you decide if the MS is for you or not.

Originally Posted by turbonola
did you use a write up to get the ms2 unit running? if so which article and can you post it for those of us that will be running it.

Well I used this link as a rough guide to get going. http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_LS1.htm

That will get you in the ballpark of running a 24 tooth reluctor wheel LSx with an MS2. But the information there is a bit outdated and it took me a fair amount of tinkering to get this thing to light off. I had to change things around quite a bit to make it work, but as the video shows, it does work!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

So a lot of internal modifications are needed to the ecu to make it run factory coils? Why not go Ms3x?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by superbean
So a lot of internal modifications are needed to the ecu to make it run factory coils? Why not go Ms3x?
Take a look at what it costs to run the MS3.

The base MS3 is $100 more than the MS2. The base MS3 still gives you batch fuel and waste spark, same as the MS2. To step up to individual injector control and individual coil control costs another $199. That brings the total for just the ECU to $577 as compared to $278 for the MS2. I couldn't see any reason to spent that much extra.

While there are a fair number of modifications that must be done to the MS2 to make it work on an LSx it literally is almost free over the cost of the basic MS2 kit. It is simply your time and a few pieces of scrap wire to make jumpers.

I won't say that the extra functionality of the MS3 isn't worth it, it is an AWESOME piece of hardware. But the MS2 is also an awesome piece of hardware and can be had for a lot less. Batch fuel and waste spark has been used, and continues to be used, to make incredible amounts of streetable horsepower.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking of using the Micro squirt in my next build thanks for all the info.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Good luck with the tech school. Hopefully by time you update again I'll have my thread started, I bought 1978 malibu
Old 01-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Launching!

the raw fuel coming out of the manifolds reminds me of my first start-up. lol

Congrats!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TurboMonte
Take a look at what it costs to run the MS3.

The base MS3 is $100 more than the MS2. The base MS3 still gives you batch fuel and waste spark, same as the MS2. To step up to individual injector control and individual coil control costs another $199. That brings the total for just the ECU to $577 as compared to $278 for the MS2. I couldn't see any reason to spent that much extra.

While there are a fair number of modifications that must be done to the MS2 to make it work on an LSx it literally is almost free over the cost of the basic MS2 kit. It is simply your time and a few pieces of scrap wire to make jumpers.

I won't say that the extra functionality of the MS3 isn't worth it, it is an AWESOME piece of hardware. But the MS2 is also an awesome piece of hardware and can be had for a lot less. Batch fuel and waste spark has been used, and continues to be used, to make incredible amounts of streetable horsepower.
That makes a lot of sense, doing stuff on a budget is what hot rodding is all about! I really like this build and I'm excited to see more, being a G body owner as well, it just adds to the fun!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:37 AM
Teching In

Very nice build man! I also have a turbo 5.3 in my 86. its still a work in progress. keep the progress coming.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Nice build!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Launching!

very nice! congrats on the tech school, good luck, cant wait for more updates
Old 04-03-2013, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Very nice build.. Subscribed
Old 04-15-2013, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Finally an update!

This afternoon I did some work on the accessories.

I had swapped out the truck intake with an LS1 intake and was hopeful I could make the truck accessories work. This afternoon I decided to see if I could do it.

First I put the water pump on and the water neck for the radiator hose interfered with the throttle plate. A few whacks with the hammer and I rotated it enough to where it would work fine. But then I had to install the PS pump and alternator bracket.

Name:  PSBracket_zpsce336d6e.jpg
Views: 1890
Size:  161.2 KB

When I tried to install it I found out immediately why folks say it won't work. Because it won't! Big time contact with the TPS sensor.

So I pulled it back off, yanked the idler puller and broke out the mighty sawzall.

Name:  PSBracketbeforetrimming_zps94983584.jpg
Views: 1869
Size:  134.7 KB

A few minutes of surgery later I had something that just might work!

Name:  PSBracketTrimmed_zpsb22588f3.jpg
Views: 1842
Size:  134.4 KB

Dropped it back in place and voila, perfect fit.

Name:  PSBracketInstalled_zps28caddd4.jpg
Views: 1833
Size:  140.1 KB

I put the tensioner pulley on and with the help of blue painters tape figured out a new belt routing scheme. I am not sure if there is enough wrap on the crank pulley or PS pulley but at the very least it will get me going!

Name:  BeltRouting_zps49db79e4.jpg
Views: 2733
Size:  178.1 KB

More to come but I am not too far off from a rip down the street. The next update should have some exhaust building goodness!

Stay tuned!!!!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, that crank wrap is looking questionable.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

I chose MSII for exactly the same reasons, nice build and neat install btw
Old 04-17-2013, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to mount an idler under the alternator. Similar to the first picture in this post.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...-steering.html

Doug

Quick Reply: 86 Monte SS. 5.3, Single turbo, Megasquirt II. Lots of pics