Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help deciding what color Speedhut Gauges!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

Default Need help deciding what color Speedhut Gauges!!

Ok, guys I know that I want to buy Speedhut gauges and I am having trouble selecting a color. I plan on putting Carbon fiber 3M wrap on an original woodgrain bezel(for strength of hanging gauges), and in the process smoothing out some of the extras such as turning signals. I will be eventually changing my interior over from stock to Resto-mod/pro-touring style with new seats, door panels, power locks and windows, and other cool things like that. Possibly even a custom center console with Navigation. I want my gauges to reflect a modern european feel, that the outside has, but currently I have stock interior. I want my gauges to set a tone for the rest of the interior. Here are my selections for colors in the order that I really like on top, going down.

Not sure what it is about this tangerine color, but I think it will look killer with a mostly black interior with the carbon fiber as a background.

The problem with the sliver, is that it looks great during the day, but only has a green glow at night...

Also, throwing Red faced into the mix.

And this is the standard black gauges. I know they will look good as many people have them. But my problem with them, is that everyone has them. I just want something different. I personally don't like the way that the white faced gauges look in these cars. No offense to anyone.

If anyone is good a photoshop and wants to take a crack at showing me what it would look like with carbon fiber wrap and any of these gauges let me know!

Here is a decent picture of my interior.

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited by ryeguy2006a; 11-14-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

[img width=800 height=545]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m215/ryeguy2006a/TangerineGaugeinTransambezelCrude.jpg[/img]

Here is my crudely photoshopped version of what I am thinking. I think it will looks really good.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-14-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I say red and do some red accent's in the interior when you do your resto/mod..

oh and I fixed your link
Old 11-14-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I like the colors but they look dated and cartoony quickly. Another option is to get the black ones and get silver or maybe colored bezels, that's what I did so it would match the silver trim on the rest of the dash and seats. Yellow is cool but I have a feeling it would just get old once the novelty wore off.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ryan, I vote for the white..then the black. Do you plan on putting a bird or trans am decals on?

Like i said in a PM, my only complaint with the autometer gauges is that they are LEDs, and don't dim. I don't drive my car that much at night....so it's not a big issue.

Leon
Old 11-15-2012, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Black with silver bezels,seen it here on the site,,,search speedhut
Old 11-15-2012, 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

Definitely the black face. Bezel color is up to you. I have black autometers with a chrome bezel and love them.

Kinda wish I looked into the speed huts when I was buying gauges because I like the integrated lights they offer (turn signals, high beams etc.)
Old 11-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

I have the silver and love them! They're the best part of my interior. I agree that the black and silver ones are a little more timeless and that the colored ones will not make you as happy down the road.

And don't worry about needing strength to mount these gauges; they are ridiculously light. Also be prepared for hitting up ebay for some adapters for the oil and water sensors to fit into an LS engine.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with the stock brushed metal dash for a long time until one day when I was doing a mock up of my gauges (VDO black face, by the way). The sun was low on the horizon and behind me. The reflection off the dash gave me sun spots for a few seconds - not something you want to happen while driving. Sooo... I took the dash plate apart, and painted the main surface matte black. I re-assembled the dash with the chrome accent. The VDO gauges are nice, but the speedo with the turn/bright/hazard indicators does not come in a size that completely fills the hole on a 2nd gen. This was corrected by a trip to the dollar bill store, where I bought a nickel finished cookie pan. I chopped a couple donuts out of it, and attached them to the back side of the dash plate. The result is an interesting ring effect around the two big gauges.

My car has a manual choke carb, which is connected to the handle where the cigarette lighter used to be. The big square LED gauge measures Fuel/Air ratio. one day, I'll get something that matches the rest of them, but this does the trick for now.

Anyway, this is what gauges would look like with a matte black dash. have fun with Photoshop.
Attached Thumbnails Need help deciding what color Speedhut Gauges!!-dscn1358.jpg  
Old 11-16-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Altitude 65
I have the silver and love them! They're the best part of my interior. I agree that the black and silver ones are a little more timeless and that the colored ones will not make you as happy down the road.

And don't worry about needing strength to mount these gauges; they are ridiculously light. Also be prepared for hitting up ebay for some adapters for the oil and water sensors to fit into an LS engine.
Any pictures? I would love to see them especially if they are in a 70-81 Trans Am/ Firebird.

Quick Reply: Need help deciding what color Speedhut Gauges!!