Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My winter project. (Rebuild after fire)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My winter project. (Rebuild after fire)

I posted this up on Ls1truck. I figured I'd post it here to. My white truck burnt to the ground on June 2nd of this year from the driveshaft breaking and putting a big hole in the fuel tank. I was hospitalized for 2 days for severe 2nd burns up my arms and legs. Now I bought another truck and tryin to get it built over the winter with some changes and have it ready for Ls fest next year. Now for the pictures!

Ill post more as I go!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Nice man. Good to see you get back to it and on your feet. Looking good
Old 11-25-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow. Sorry to hear that, glad you were able to get away. Even more glad you are bouncing back.

What year are the trucks? The white one was pretty sharp.

Why did you use the old hood and fender? I understand the grille, bumper and lights but I would have passed on the other bits.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Launching!

I remember that truck.. Glad you are ok and back at it, I will be watching your build....
Old 11-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

The hood and grille r junk but it makes it interesting. Bumper is still good, fender is still nice and straight, the red one had damage. Next winter when I do paint and body it'll get a new hood and gmc grille and it'll all b painted red with the same stripes the white one had

And the white one was a 92, red one is a 97
Old 11-25-2012, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Glad you made it to build another man....that fire is some scary ****!
Old 11-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Here's a picture of my gas tank from the white truck
Old 11-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Please install some kind of drive-shaft safety loop.My step-son broke the rear u-joint in my 96 and we got lucky that it didn't puncture the tank.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where was the tank at? That is super scary!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

I already have a driveshaft loop for it, and a fuel cell that will be in the box far away from the driveshaft. It was the factory fuel tank in the factory location in the white truck.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Well i got some more work done on the truck. I shaved the factory truck intake, ordered a new fuel rail kit, and the holley coil covers. the intake, rails, and coil covers are just setting on it right now for looks. i bought a new DD and it needed some work so ive been playing with that lately. The truck leaves to PGI metal works in town here after christmas to the back half of the frame boxed, 5" C-notches, 4 link finished up and welded, cross member made for the coil overs, cross member made for the transmission, and box cut out in the center and a tunnel welded in. while its out ill get my wiring harness done and ready to go in.

One of my buddies found this picture on his old phone, crazy memories now.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:19 AM
11 Second Club

Holy fire Batman!!!! Good to see that you are making a good comeback.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

Wow, you are lucky you made it out with the minimal injuries you did. Speaking of which, hope you;re healing up. Nice progress by the way.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Wow! You really are lucky you got out of there when you did, could have been worse. I know all too well how hopeless you feel watching your car burn. Years ago I had an engine fire in my Nova, and I thought it was going to burn to the ground, but luckily it happened just as I pulled into my girlfriend's driveway so I managed to get her dad to come out with a fire extinguisher and put it out, but I always think, if it had happened a few minutes earlier it would have been on the side of the road and there would have been nothing I could have done but watch it burn. I always carry a fire extinguisher in my cars now. Good luck with the build, looks like you're off to a good start.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car fires burn really hot.
This reminds me, I need to go by a Halon extinguisher for my car, right now.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

I had a fire extinguisher right behind my seat. I jumped out of the truck and saw some smoke rolling up between the box and cab, when i went for my fire extinguisher all the fuel that leaked out onto the road ignited in a big ball of fire and I fell backwards into the ditch. I didnt realize how bad my burns were till about 5 minutes later then it was the worst pain ive ever experienced in my life. It is pretty depressing watching your pride and joy project vehicle burn to the ground in a matter of minutes. But thank god i had good insurance on the truck and they really took good care of me and now im rebuilding bigger and better. Thanks for all the comments!
Old 12-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

I worked a little on my truck tonight. The front end wasn't sitting where I wanted it to. So I pulled a chip foose and cut a coil out of the front springs. Didn't change much but lowered it a couple inches. Hopefully Ill have all new front suspension in the spring but until then this will work. It sits level and really clean now.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is amazing. Glad to see you are enjoying your second chance at life.

Don't think a fire extinguisher would have done anything but get you killed by that inferno.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. I'm hoping tonight to get the garage cleaned up again. Then hopefully get the front bumper bolted back on and then start swapping injectors and stuff off the stock intake onto my shaved intake with my new rails.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

I played with the truck tonight a little bit. I put the front bumper on but it needs a lot of adjustment. Its sits so low! And I started swapping stuff off my stock intake onto my shaved intake with the new professional products fuel rails. And of coarse none of it fit so I need to make some brackets.

Quick Reply: My winter project. (Rebuild after fire)