Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some 5.3 vortec info and help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some 5.3 vortec info and help!

hi guys, im new to the site and somewhat new to all the info on the 5.3 motors. im currently buliding an 83 c-10 project, porterbuilt crossmember whole front end air bag suspention, rack and pinion steering, 2x4 steel frame rails, new ls solid motor mounts and much more, i picked up a 2004 5.3 vortec and 4l60e tranny and wiring out of a truck and started the build on it. im new to all the ls, ls1, lq, lm andall these numbers, whats the first number started and what would my 5.3 be considered? might sound dumb but im not gonna lie im new to it, . ive been reasearching the performance and, i want to make my 5.3 put out some hp but not break my wallet, im thinking cam, port and polish the 862 casting heads, (are the 4.8 heads the same or better?) want to put a cam, and new intake maybe 92mm new valves and hardened push rods. all that will be running off the motor will be an altenator, will go electric with everyting else. im looking for around the 460hp mark. wasting my time? or better with the 6.0? its just a weekend truck that i would like to play with and if i want to travel and hr or 2 away not even think twice and go. what do yall think? any input would be appreciated! thanks!

also wondering what valve springs would be best with a new cam?
Old 12-27-2012, 08:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your 5.3 is an lm7. With the right cam 460 at the crank should not be a problem. Match the valve springs to the cam.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5.3 engines came with these codes depending on year and what they came in. LM7/L59/LM4/L33, the L33/LM4 are aluminum block 5.3. To be honest if you want 460rwhp I would get a 6.0. It would be much easier and would require less modification to get there. As far as valve springs I would get whatever comes with whatever cam package you decide to buy. Since you’re new to ls motors I think buying a cam package that includes pushrods, cam, and valve springs would be your best bet. Give one of the sponsors on here a call and they can set you up with anything you need and can answer any questions you have about what cam you should buy etc.

Last edited by 2000PewterT/A; 12-27-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Just keep in mind that a 4xx horsepower build will require some trans mods to get that thing to hold up with the weight of the truck and a descent size stall will be a must. This will especially hold true if you will up those shift rpms. Good luck to you and you have chosen the correct line of motor, fo sho.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's a link to a great place to send your heads to for port work......
http://www.totalengineairflow.com/
They can also spec you a cam to meet your power goals and then put the
appropriate valvesprings on the heads to eliminate your guesswork...
Old 12-27-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check thunder racing or Texas Speed for cam kits.a ls6 intake is good up to 450hp.it would be cheaper to do a 6.0.you will spend some money,count on it.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Teching In

thanks guys, all the info is helping out tremendosly! i guess yall just made up my mind, i still have the rest of the truck to build and finish so i might take the 5.3 and do the match the cam spring, and intale, push rods and a port job to the heads maybe get my hands on a 4l80 tranny and call it good for now. looking at the long run i may drive this a year or 2 while i find a good aluminum 6.0 to buld then i can take my time and build it right and then when the time comes my truck will accept that engine no prob and i can hook someone up with the 5.3.

what differs from the aluminum blocks to the steel blocks other than the obvious weight?

and when building the 6.0 to make a good street engine, how far would yall say to take it? replacing from bottom up, bearings, rods pistons, ect.? or leave the bottom just freshen up and do cam, heads, intake, springs rods and all that?

dont want to do it and wish i did more but not looking to dragg it. just street weekend and burn some other trucks playing around!

again thanks for the input its deff helping me out! its nice to have this site and help of knowledgeable people!
Old 12-27-2012, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing different from the iron to aluminum is weight really. If you find a low miles lq4/9 or whatever you plan to use, there would really be no reason to touch the bottom end. I would do a moderatley sized cam low 230s with a ls6 intake, and a set of good heads milled to bump up your compression a little. You'd have to do springs, pushrods and lifters are good too while you're in there. Get a good size stall and you should be good to go. Good luck and welcome to the site.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will definately need a 80e I think you could be better off with a LQ9 and it will be more cheaper to build the block to that HP. Are you planning boosting?
Old 12-28-2012, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Trucks are not the best at hooking up the rear tires, so you might want rethink you hp goals. Cam hp increases will only be in the upper range anyway.
I went with an LQ9 that's at 400 hp with just tune and exhaust. Plan was for 500hp with cam, L92 heads, intake in the future. But the LQ9 alone will already overdrive my stock wheel/tire package.
If cost/milage is a factor, use the 5.3, maybe with a cam and be done. If you want more hp, just go with a 6.0 LQ4 or LQ9. You'll be closer to your goal and may not need heads, etc. They'll have a lot more low end torque which you'll want in a truck. And the cost of head/cam/etc upgrades is the same with a 5.3 or 6.0.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Teching In

thanks for the info! ive seen people post the l92 heads, are they pretty good flowing heads for the job or better to use others?
im hooked in this and dont plan on stopping any time soon!
Old 12-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Teching In

that answers my questions pretty good! i think i will roll the 5.3 now and when i get my hands on a lq 4 or lq9 i will put my hard work into that cause like you said on my truck i think i will much rather the hp rather than top end! and when i get my hands on that 6.0 will it match the stand alone harmess for the 5.3 or will i have to get a new harness for the 6.0? it would be easy to just swap the 5.3 to the 6.0 when the time comes casue right now im building my truck tranny tunnel and all that to clear the tranny and fit around the 5.3, will there be any extreme changes in physical size of anything?
thanks again for the info guys!!
Old 12-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Teching In

i havent put any thought into boosting but i know once my truck is done and there s really no more extreme work to be done i might want to play around with some boost! if i remember right the 6.0 is the one to boost right?
Old 12-29-2012, 06:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scothron3
that answers my questions pretty good! i think i will roll the 5.3 now and when i get my hands on a lq 4 or lq9 i will put my hard work into that cause like you said on my truck i think i will much rather the hp rather than top end! and when i get my hands on that 6.0 will it match the stand alone harmess for the 5.3 or will i have to get a new harness for the 6.0? it would be easy to just swap the 5.3 to the 6.0 when the time comes casue right now im building my truck tranny tunnel and all that to clear the tranny and fit around the 5.3, will there be any extreme changes in physical size of anything?
thanks again for the info guys!!
Regarding the harness, they are going to be similar depending on year. Keep in mind that the injectors are different between flex fuel and non-flex fuel engines and DBW vs. DBC.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 12-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by psiconversion
Regarding the harness, they are going to be similar depending on year. Keep in mind that the injectors are different between flex fuel and non-flex fuel engines and DBW vs. DBC.

Jon
PSI
thanks i will keep that in mind. and what would be the easiest way to do my swap dbw or dbc , trying to do all that i can myself and want to go with the most user friendy method. thanks again!
Old 12-31-2012, 07:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

If your motor came with DBW, keep it. I hope you got the pedal and TAC with it.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

I put a 5.3 in a 1992 chevy pickup 2wd.I also put a cam in it.If i knew what i know now i would have went with a 6.0.The 6.0 will have the torque that you will never be able to get out of the 5.3.Trust me you will want the torque of the 6.0 in your truck.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gagliano7
I put a 5.3 in a 1992 chevy pickup 2wd.I also put a cam in it.If i knew what i know now i would have went with a 6.0.The 6.0 will have the torque that you will never be able to get out of the 5.3.Trust me you will want the torque of the 6.0 in your truck.

im thinking that too! im already 3/4 of the way into the swap so i think i will continue with the 5.3 and use it all for mock up and to start driving and when i get my hands on the 6.0 then put some serious tlc into that motor and thenit will be just as simple as a pull out and put in. and im sure one of my buddies would love to get there hands on the 5.3 thats comming out haha. yeha i dont think i can go wrong with the 6.0!
thanks again for all the imput, i appreciate the site and the informatble people!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have the dbw components (ie tac module, tac harness and pedal ) I say keep it. If you don't just get a truck or camaro Dbc throttle body. Harness is easy, just get the one for your application.

Jon
PSI

Quick Reply: need some 5.3 vortec info and help!