Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Porsche 996 C4S, LS3 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So does the water pump spin when the ignition is on?
Or do you have it set at a specific low temp so it comes on when the engine is running?

Glad to hear you have some miles on it.

Any impressions?

Doug
Old 11-19-2014, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DW SD
So does the water pump spin when the ignition is on?
Or do you have it set at a specific low temp so it comes on when the engine is running?

Glad to hear you have some miles on it.

Any impressions?

Doug
Comes on when water temp gets to ? Not sure if I can control what that temp is by accessing the GM tune map, when I buy some tuning software and learn how to tune these LS motors.

Impressions, yep, this thing is fast, but could use an over drive. I'm at 2200rpm around 60mph and 1st to 2nd shift is at 50ft. I'm still babying it till it gets about 500mi, then it'll probably scare the crap out of me, Oh! the FUN.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

I guess you won't have heat until it gets up to temp and I wonder if you get hot spots in the head or block without any water flow, prior to the pump going on? I wonder if it'd be better to run the pump off of an ignition switched relay. That's be more like the mechanical water pump. (forgive unsolicited advice).

Yes, you can program the temp at which it comes up with the SW, but I think the low point is relatively high (maybe 185F).

Long time PCA (Porsche Club of America) member here, too. If your geography offers it, I suggest taking their performance driving school. You'll have an absolute blast. I've done about 25 Driver Ed events. Best time you can have with your clothes on ... in my opinion.
They have a great 2 1/2 - day class here in San Diego, PCA offered twice a year or so.

Congrats, again! Really love these projects.

I'm thinking one day of a Cayman or Boxster or 911 (probably 996, maybe if 5 years out a 997)
Doug
Old 11-20-2014, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a few more quick questions, my car came with out an engine so I did not have a engine wiring harness. So, I picked one up on Ebay for cheap. Did you use a Porsche engine harness to hook up your Tack, Water Temp, Oil Pressure, AC Comp wire, ect? My plan was to figure out the items on the Porsche engine harness that I need to retain, and then cut the harness down to those few plugs and wires. That way I can just plug right into the master plugs in the engine compartment and not have to chase wiring into the car, it should be clean and appear to be stock.

The other problem that I have is that I did not pull the engine, so I have no idea. Which fuel line in the feed line and which is the return, or which is the vacuum line. Also I have no idea which PS line is the pressure and which is the return. I have seen diagrams on several build threads on the cooling system, so I feel I have a good handle on that. I ordered a Bentley Publishing Service Manual and hope that will help me wrap my head around some of these issues. But figured maybe you could share that info also?

Thanks,
Clyde
Old 11-21-2014, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 4LUX
a few more quick questions, my car came with out an engine so I did not have a engine wiring harness. So, I picked one up on Ebay for cheap. Did you use a Porsche engine harness to hook up your Tack, Water Temp, Oil Pressure, AC Comp wire, ect? My plan was to figure out the items on the Porsche engine harness that I need to retain, and then cut the harness down to those few plugs and wires. That way I can just plug right into the master plugs in the engine compartment and not have to chase wiring into the car, it should be clean and appear to be stock.

The other problem that I have is that I did not pull the engine, so I have no idea. Which fuel line in the feed line and which is the return, or which is the vacuum line. Also I have no idea which PS line is the pressure and which is the return. I have seen diagrams on several build threads on the cooling system, so I feel I have a good handle on that. I ordered a Bentley Publishing Service Manual and hope that will help me wrap my head around some of these issues. But figured maybe you could share that info also?

Thanks,
Clyde
Tach, you just T the Porsche ECU wire to the GM ECU Crank sensor wire.

Water Temp, use both GM and Porsche sensors, GM in the Passenger head, Porsche in the drivers head with the Porsche ECU wire after you drill out hole as per my instructions found in my previous posts.

Oil Pressure, Use both GM and Porsche sending units and ECU wires as per this thread.

AC compressor use Porsche wires.

Also keep the eng bay temp sensors and wires, the spoiler control wires, the oil level and temp sensor and wires, eng bay cooling fan wires. These I'm still going to figure out how to use or fool the Porsche ECU with.

Master plugs I removed, too many wires in them You won't need and the wires that come off the Porsche ECU that you will use I just spliced and ran with the GM wires through the Firewall.

Might want to consider cutting an access panel like I did, this has already helped when my oil pressure senders where leaking and its so much easier with the wiring.

Power steering, pull all the lines out and trash, the car steers fine without it (muscles) or use the MR2 electric pump.

Bentley manual is a MUST, wiring diagrams great. Fuel lines, depends on year model whether or not you have a return and a smog pump tank vent line.

Hope that helps, you need to start a build and post some pictures, Have fun.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess you won't have heat until it gets up to temp and I wonder if you get hot spots in the head or block without any water flow, prior to the pump going on? I wonder if it'd be better to run the pump off of an ignition switched relay. That's be more like the mechanical water pump. (forgive unsolicited advice).

Yes, you can program the temp at which it comes up with the SW, but I think the low point is relatively high (maybe 185F).

Long time PCA (Porsche Club of America) member here, too. If your geography offers it, I suggest taking their performance driving school. You'll have an absolute blast. I've done about 25 Driver Ed events. Best time you can have with your clothes on ... in my opinion.
They have a great 2 1/2 - day class here in San Diego, PCA offered twice a year or so.

Congrats, again! Really love these projects.

I'm thinking one day of a Cayman or Boxster or 911 (probably 996, maybe if 5 years out a 997)
Doug
Yep, I'm thinking the water pump comes on at around 160 so the motors not getting very hot till it gets pressurized and a very small amount of water circulates through the heater system. I've got a 160 thermostat in it now and will change that to a 195 this weekend after talking to the Renegade guys.

Driving schools, I wish my Budget would allow, I also will be looking into what kind of tracks are in this area, but don't expect to find much close.

looking forward to getting to know the handling as I've been told it's like no other and I will be very cautious till I find my limits.

Thanks for the kind words, Michael
Old 11-21-2014, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

PCA driving school is about $200 (here in San Diego) for the whole weekend. Membership is $42 annually.

Scott at Renegades is the Chief Driving Instructor for the Southwest PCA zone. Ask him about it, if you are interested. Coincidentally, he signed my driver's ed and Time Trial license each year.

Doug
Old 11-23-2014, 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Since this BEAST is now somewhat drivable and I've finalized some of the motor and water pump installs, I figured I'd post some pictures of such, since some of the previous ones have been proven to be not quite right.

Name:  DSCN2884_zpsf6ec430b.jpg
Views: 1670
Size:  304.3 KB

This shows the wiring mess that I still have to finalize, Shorten wires and mount relay and ECU boxes. Also note the finished access panel.

Name:  DSCN2885_zps17b39bad.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  253.4 KB

Note in the lower right is a positive battery post that I installed that I'm not sure was really necessary.

Name:  DSCN2886_zpsb3e18f68.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  291.5 KB

This shows both the GM and the Porsche oil pressure senders being used.

Name:  DSCN2887_zpsed57a8ca.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  291.6 KB

Name:  DSCN2888_zps0984b792.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  293.8 KB
Old 11-23-2014, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Name:  DSCN2892_zps6574818c.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  317.4 KB

This shows the water pump mounted on the passenger side, plenty of room for the shift linkage, the reservoir hose goes to left side (inlet) of the pump. Also note the protected hose below the pump, this goes to the passenger side of the motor water block upper and feeds the heater.

Name:  DSCN2891_zpse2862215.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  276.5 KB

This is the outlet side of the heater and goes to the inlet side of the water pump also. Front of the car is to the right.

Name:  DSCN2897_zpsc81750bb.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  304.1 KB

This shows (blue tape) the fuel tank vent line that used to go to the Porsche remote vacuum pump, not sure what to do with this YET, don't like the idea of fumes escaping under the car at all times.

Name:  DSCN2893_zps031d1f81.jpg
Views: 1337
Size:  302.1 KB

Last edited by Fierofly; 11-23-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

The Porsche enthusiasts are going to be giving you he'll, if you want I'll take the car off your hands so you don't have to deal with the criticism. .??

I'm impressed ...this won't be a cobble job like some of the ones I've seen,looks like a clean build , pretty dam crazy for Your first ls build.
Great job,
Old 11-24-2014, 06:49 AM
Staging Lane

Car is looking great, all the little details at this point are what will really set it apart
Old 11-24-2014, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Really impressive work. Love the use of the riv-nuts around the access panel.
Looks perfect to convert the rear seat / parcel area to a rear-seat-delete, RS - style carpeted flat luggage platform. Have you seen those on some of the early 911s?

Doug
Old 11-24-2014, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Really impressive work. Love the use of the riv-nuts around the access panel.
Looks perfect to convert the rear seat / parcel area to a rear-seat-delete, RS - style carpeted flat luggage platform. Have you seen those on some of the early 911s?

Doug
Thanks much, didn't know about the RS rear seat delete, will have to look at that.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

x2 on the transmission gear ratios!! I'm jealous of the other ls guys spinnin their motors <2k when cruising in 6th @ 80mph!! If i remember correctly mine is spinning about 3500 or close to it at 80.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

I think the 996 / 997 Turbo gearboxes have different final gearing.... more American V8 friendly and for higher top speed.
Those turbo motors are much torquier especially down low.
But those boxes are $10k+
Doug
Old 11-25-2014, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Take a look at this as a sample. I wouldn't want to add a lot of weight, but it might be a good fit for your application.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...at-delete.html
Old 11-27-2014, 01:39 AM
Staging Lane

Take a look at this as a sample. I wouldn't want to add a lot of weight, but it might be a good fit for your application.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...at-delete.html
I think i would leave the seats in. That looks kinda mickey duck.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:49 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://store.speedmaster79.com/p-482...ete-satin.aspx

I'm just going to leave this here. (insert evil laugh)

-Russell
Old 11-27-2014, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rat_rod_russell
http://store.speedmaster79.com/p-482...ete-satin.aspx

I'm just going to leave this here. (insert evil laugh)

-Russell
Nice, but no way it'll fit on this car, I've only got 1/2 clearance above the LS3 intake. I'd have to remove the rear window and cut some sheet metal.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Name:  DSCN2901_zps0315b015.jpg
Views: 1411
Size:  296.5 KB

Almost done, 300mi so far, still need to build a good exhaust, run A/C lines and a few other tid bits.

I'm thinking about buying the Diablo Tuner, anybody had any experience with these? I've done a little research and it seems to work kinda like the Dyna Jet Powervision that I have on my Harley.

So far the things that don't work are

1. Cruise Control
2. Porsche stability Management System
3. Air bags, I think cause I removed seats with battery connected.
4. Water Temp gage every time the Porsche ECU does some sort of self test, I have to disconnect the battery or get a scan tool and reset.

Quick Reply: 2003 Porsche 996 C4S, LS3 Conversion