Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 4wd s10.. This is going to take a while

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 04:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 4wd s10.. This is going to take a while

Hey guys.. Finally found my project vehicle... And figured i would start a project thread.. I am hoping to have it running by next spring, so its going to take a while. If it happens faster than that, great, but i am not cutting any corners short of the semi junkyard motor

Truck is an 88 ext cab 4wd s10 with a 2.8. Plan is to put a 5.3 in, with a 76mm turbo at around 12psi, th350, awd through an astro transfer case and front driveline. Tuning and engine management will be done through megasquirt

The 5.3 i have is from an 02 pickup. It was a rollover way back when, and ran upside down, dusting the crank bearings. Awesome thing is, it only has 6000 miles on it. Bad part is it has been sitting for about 9 years.

Getting the engine home in my magnum..

Rollover dusted the crank bearings. Crank kit is on order

Here is the truck.

I need a passenger side glass, two tires for the front, a bed corner, and a good deep cleaning on the paint.. Other than that, it is a super straight body.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:48 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Awd is always cool. I already feel bad for that astro case.

Jon
PSI
Old 02-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Subscribed. Doing a similar swap on my yota truck except it's up in the air. Can't wait to see the progress.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Teching In

I am going to spend a little money getting the 2.8 running long enough to get it home.. I plan on getting it home within a week or so.. Hopefully it will be clean soon after.

Jon, an astro case is 240 bucks. I might be on the hunt for a second one to keep around as a spare if/when it pops lol

Rooster, even a jacked up yota will probably be lighter than this pickup.. Of course i daily drive a 4500 pound station wagon.. I will be happy to have near the same power, and be 800-1000 pounds lighter
Old 02-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Teching In

In hopes of possibly just needing a crank kit, i started pulling the engine down further.. I pulled three other rods apart, and two bearings were spun in the rods... I am planning on finding some stock rods somewhere and replacing them.. Unfortunately this is a press fit wrist pin engine, so i will have those replaced asap...

On a good note.. I did score an awd transfer case from a bravada for 60 bucks!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the engine in the back of the magnum!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Launching!

do you have to reclock the transfer case in that swap?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

r u going to fab up a oil pan or use a h3 pan? also depending on what mounts you use, the motor will sit about a inch higher
Old 02-22-2013, 05:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Stormed_Norm
do you have to reclock the transfer case in that swap?
I shouldnt have to.. On the first generation s10's, the bodies were designed around a larger transfer case for some reason, so it clears everything. The only modification that i can see from syclone/typhoon lsx swaps, is that clearance can be created by lowering the front differential half an inch, and possibly massaging the floor pan for the prop shaft because it is bigger in diameter tHan a 4wd driveshaft

Originally Posted by Cajun ELESS-ONE
r u going to fab up a oil pan or use a h3 pan? also depending on what mounts you use, the motor will sit about a inch higher
Might end up fabbing my own mounts, but i am waiting to see what currentperfomance is producing as far as mounts before that time..

The oil pan will be a modified truck pan.. With the differential lowered, all that needs changed on the pan is it needs a notch to clear the diff
Old 02-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Teching In

I think i found an awd astro case for 60bucks.. Gonna check it out soon...

Also came across an ls3 cam, and springs for 100 bucks.. Guess i will pick that up while im at it.. Budget build is coming together nicely
Old 02-25-2013, 07:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty sweet! That truck looks to be in pretty good shape too, they are getting harder and harder to find in that kind of shape.

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 02-25-2013, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BP Automotive
Pretty sweet! That truck looks to be in pretty good shape too, they are getting harder and harder to find in that kind of shape.
thats very true sir. My first car was a 1992 black s10 ex cab with 112000 miles when i got it. it was very clean for a 1992. paid 850 for it lol
Old 02-27-2013, 05:46 AM
Teching In

This one says it has 246,000 miles on it.. The cab corners need a little more help than i thought, but thats nothing that i am worried about.. It is the straightest first gen i have seen in a long time around here.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Been a while, and have been gathering parts.. I got my megasquirt 2 and harness in, got a transmission, flywheel and adapter plate, crank kit, new rods to replace the ones that spun bearings inside...

Parts needed include:
Turbo
Astro/bravada front differential
Transfer case
Prop shaft
Timing set, oil pump, and misc gaskets
Radiator
Fuel system

As soon as i can get the motor together, i am going to start building the harness..

Quick Reply: 5.3 4wd s10.. This is going to take a while