Sponsored by:

Quetion on Range Switch / Neutral Safety Switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Quetion on Range Switch / Neutral Safety Switch

Hello all,

I am finally having my car wired and the guy doing the wiring isn't sure about what to do about a Range Switch. I have a 4L60e from a 2000 Camaro, mated to a 5.3 from a 2002 Yukon. I also have an aftermarket shifter from B&M, which comes with a Neutral Safety switch of its own.

My question is, do I need a stock Range Switch, or does the Neutral Safety switch that came with the shifter pretty much replace it?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its not really needed. If any thing have him hook up the range selector its use full its the 4 pin connector on the pnp switch.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

great thanks!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:49 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You don`t need it but my theory is that GM put it there for a reason, if they can save $1 a car they will do it so it must have a purpose.

I always try to run the range switch if possible or at the very least convert it to run the f-body style Park/Neutral switch. The LS PCM has 4 main spark timing tables (and what seems like a billion timing correction tables) and depending on if it is in gear or park/neutral it will use different timing tables. If you eliminate the range / neutral switch it won`t be able to switch between the p/n timing tables and may not run as efficiently.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by G-Body
You don`t need it but my theory is that GM put it there for a reason, if they can save $1 a car they will do it so it must have a purpose.

I always try to run the range switch if possible or at the very least convert it to run the f-body style Park/Neutral switch. The LS PCM has 4 main spark timing tables (and what seems like a billion timing correction tables) and depending on if it is in gear or park/neutral it will use different timing tables. If you eliminate the range / neutral switch it won`t be able to switch between the p/n timing tables and may not run as efficiently.
That a very good point. I guess I am now leaning more towards including it.

Anyone else care to weigh in?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

You can't put the range sensor/nuetral safety switch from a truck on a Camaro transmission, the shift shaft is too short. Might be easier to have the PCM programmed like an F body, then you just need one wire that's grounded in park and neutral. Or as G-body suggested on another thread, swap out the shift shaft with the longer truck one.

Quick Reply: Quetion on Range Switch / Neutral Safety Switch