Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessory brackets help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Accessory brackets help

iv been snooping around this site for a long time now. i seem to be more confused than when i first started. i have a lq4 with a ls3 intake and its going int to a 63 nova wagon with stock front clip with stock ps rack. i plan to run the ps and alt. iv been looking for a set of f-body Accessory's. but cant seem to find anything. i came across this kit from pace http://paceperformance.com/i-6485404...6-engines.html
would this kit fit my application? id like to keep everything low and out of the way as passable. let me know what you think.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though it states not for iron blocks I believe it will still bolt up, the iron block does not have the boss for the bolt just below the idler pulley. You may have to drill/tap the top right alternator bracket boss too but not a big deal. The biggest issue you may have is clearance near the steering box. Not sure what belt offset the CTS-V uses, i'm thinking Corvette(LS3). If that is an issue then you could go with the Corvette bracket but then that pushes the alternator out past the head which is what you say you don't want.

Used LS1 accessory drives are getting a little on the pricey side for used parts and the CTS-V kit looks like a great alternative. You could space the brackets out for use with an LS1 waterpump but the CTS-V alternator has an integral rear support so an adapter would have to be made especially when using it with an iron block. You need the additional support with the iron block since you lose the one bracket mounting point mentioned above. I'm going to be doing some research on this to see if it can be used with the truck offset too.

If you are not planning on A/C you may have a few other options. Here's a link to something I have made up but there are others who make similiar brackets.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/17273023-post5.html

And this is another on ebay that looks really nice which can be used with LS1 waterpump, p/s pump & bracket and alternator bracket with idler pulley. I am not affiliated in anyway with the following link.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-Alternator-Relocation-Bracket-Kit-/160718363509?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item256b8f9b75&vxp=mtr

Last edited by fox12303; 04-03-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fox12303
Even though it states not for iron blocks I believe it will still bolt up, the iron block does not have the boss for the bolt just below the idler pulley. You may have to drill/tap the top right alternator bracket boss too but not a big deal. The biggest issue you may have is clearance near the steering box. Not sure what belt offset the CTS-V uses, i'm thinking Corvette(LS3). If that is an issue then you could go with the Corvette bracket but then that pushes the alternator out past the head which is what you say you don't want.

Used LS1 accessory drives are getting a little on the pricey side for used parts and the CTS-V kit looks like a great alternative. You could space the brackets out for use with an LS1 waterpump but the CTS-V alternator has an integral rear support so an adapter would have to be made especially when using it with an iron block. You need the additional support with the iron block since you lose the one bracket mounting point mentioned above. I'm going to be doing some research on this to see if it can be used with the truck offset too.

If you are not planning on A/C you may have a few other options. Here's a link to something I have made up but there are others who make similiar brackets.

And this is another on ebay that looks really nice which can be used with LS1 waterpump, p/s pump & bracket and alternator bracket with idler pulley. I am not affiliated in anyway with the following link.
LS1 Alternator Relocation Bracket Kit | eBay
thanks for the reply fox.
im thinking that im going to hunt around for fbody acc. i dont want to have to deal with making stuff work. i want something thats proven to work. and looks good.
as for the fbody acc. do i have to use the fbody ballancer as well? since im not using the ac. do i need to find a fbody set up that has no ac. or it doesnt matter. and i can just not use the ac pump and bracket?
Old 04-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

i just got off the phone with scoggin dickey. they recommended that i use the holley brackets http://www.holley.com/20-135.asp that it would be allot cheaper and a direct bolt on. i priced everything i need from them. for the ps alt brackets, new water pump and balancer for $400. what do you guys think about the price. has anyone used this kit before.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by duggravs
iv been snooping around this site for a long time now. i seem to be more confused than when i first started. i have a lq4 with a ls3 intake and its going int to a 63 nova wagon with stock front clip with stock ps rack. i plan to run the ps and alt. iv been looking for a set of f-body Accessory's. but cant seem to find anything. i came across this kit from pace http://paceperformance.com/i-6485404...6-engines.html
would this kit fit my application? id like to keep everything low and out of the way as passable. let me know what you think.
LS3 intake will not work on a lq4, it has the large ports, not cathedral.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Here's a shortcut to the Holley bracket thread. The brackets are nice and fitup is good but it cantilevers the accessory outboard, it doesn't keep them tucked. It would eliminate any steering box issues though.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...c-bracket.html

Here's my LS1 hybrid drive with an SD7 compressor.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...ccessory-d.jpg

And I believe sparkwirez06 is correct about the LS3 intake. You should look for an LS2 intake. There are alot of newer take offs for sale and aftermarket has cable throttlebodies.

Last edited by fox12303; 04-04-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry I didn't mention. I have l92 heads with a ls3 intake. The motor is already put together. And ready to be installed. I just need the Accessories
Old 04-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Teching In

LS1 Alternator Relocation Bracket Kit | eBay

Wow, that eBay bracket is hugely expensive!

I'll probably stick with my fab-some-up plan.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

Stupid questions
Where can I get a low alt bracket from?
And would I need to get a fbody ps bracket still or an aftermarket one? I'm assuming that I need ls1 fbody brackets and not lt1 right? Or would both brackets work?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Launching!

If you are going with the Holley setup, the drivers side bracket mounts the p/s pump and the alternator. I think the holley bracket is basically the same as the Corvette bracket. You need the adapter kit from holley for correct LS1 belt alignment. The pricey part of that set is the corvette style p/s pump.

For the LS1 style brackets goto Nook&Tranny for new sets. A complete new LS1 kit is $923 without the waterpump. You can piece it together for much less. The p/s bracket is no longer made but aftermarket from CBM can be purchased. Keep an eye out as used drives sometimes come up for sale.

The low LS1 style alternator bracket can be purchased from gmpartsdirect for $39. You can get the rear support and p/s pulley from them too as well as the hardware to mount the brackets. Buy the CBM P/S mount for $70. Buy you reman alternator and p/s pump with resevoir from rockauto. Tensioner, damper and bolt from rockauto. New GTO style waterpump from amazon, though the Camaro pump is $50 cheaper. And there you have a complete LS1 style accessory drive.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Teching In

The holley brackets will fit vette,camaro,or truck.You have to get the extra kit for offset you are using.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

I found the fbody brackets on another site for pretty cheap. But know I need to know. What kind of water pump do I need? Anything from 98-02 camaro/gto? Or something specific? Samething for the Tensioners and pulleys?
Old 04-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Order all the parts for 2000 Camaro LS1. I like the 2006 GTO waterpump vs the Camaro pump, it's cleaner looking as it does not have the truck waterneck boss but either will work. Just out of curiosity what site are you shopping the brackets?

Offer $120 for this pump on ebay and you should get it. It comes with a new neck and thermostat. Well new take out, NTO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230874504274...84.m1439.l2649
Old 04-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Order all the parts for 2000 Camaro LS1. I like the 2006 GTO waterpump vs the Camaro pump, it's cleaner looking as it does not have the truck waterneck boss but either will work. Just out of curiosity what site are you shopping the brackets?

Offer $120 for this pump on ebay and you should get it. It comes with a new neck and thermostat. Well new take out, NTO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230874504274...84.m1439.l2649
Sweet. Thanks for the info. im going to order my pump today. $130 with life time warranty. I got the ps and bracket and low alt bracket and alt with balanced and Pully from a member on Steve's nova site. I got everything for $200. I think I got a good deal.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Launching!

I had to make my own, as there is nothing for a LSx into a Range Rover!
I wanted the ac compressor in the RR location, so used it and the PS pump, as the PS pump on the RR has a remote tank already and the LSx pump was too close to the steering box for comfort. Took me under a day to figure it out and make it all. The belt is an off the shelf item from a parts store, so no biggie there. Cost was of course stupid cheap as all I needed to buy was a turnbuckle for belt adjustment.
Jut another option for you that will save some coin etc.
I was going to make them out of 3/4" 6061 aluminum that I had laying around, but after mocking them up, decided on 3/8" steel instead. Left some small space to adjust the alternator etc in or out a little if need be when the rig is up and running.
Accessory brackets help-ac-brkt.gif

Accessory brackets help-alt-brasckets.jpg

Accessory brackets help-ac-compressor-front.jpg

Martin
Old 04-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

I want to thank everyone for the help. I test fit the brackets and They fit perfect and look AWSOME!!!!!!!
I'll post some pics tomorrow
Old 04-08-2013, 01:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Just a heads up, but make sure you get the correct thermostat for your water pump. I used a GTO pump and the Camaro thermostat wouldnt fit.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Just a heads up, but make sure you get the correct thermostat for your water pump. I used a GTO pump and the Camaro thermostat wouldnt fit.
He's correct. The LS1 pump uses the integral style thermostat which is part of the waterneck where the GTO pump uses the later seperate thermostat and neck. Just be sure to use the applicable thermostat/neck for the pump you select. The GTO ebay pump above comes with the stat/neck.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

I picked up a camaro pump last night. And I was thinking about using the truck water neck and thermostat. I test fit it last night. And it seemed to fit perfect. Unless you guys know why I shouldnt use the truck thermostat.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Truck thermostat is fine with the Camaro LS1 pump.

Quick Reply: Accessory brackets help