Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air intake help 67 A-body

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Cold air intake help 67 A-body

Hey Guys having a hard time seeing the finish line. Original plan was to put airfilter under the drivers fender but due to lack of room between fan and fead it requires going over the top of the powersteering resevoir. Would like something easy and cheap, I know, I know you can't have both easy and cheap. I guess if I had to, I could just put it over by the battery but not enough room to get past battery into fender. Plan to use 4" to match card style MAF.

Thinking about some type of corvette engine style covers that have "Wildcat LS2" instead the standard Vet script
Please show me some pictures
Getting very excided to run this thing down the road.
Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails Cold air intake help 67 A-body-dscf2141.jpg   Cold air intake help 67 A-body-dscf2140.jpg   Cold air intake help 67 A-body-dscf2139.jpg  
Old 05-05-2013, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there a problem with running it over the PS Reservoir ?.. I have mine running over. It is just a bit of a pain to check the fluid.. but how offen do you really have to check it.

Is it hood clearence that is the issue ? If so.. you could try to use some alum, plastic or rubber Tubing and flatten it into a oval..

Here is my CAI, The last section of the tubing is compressed into an oval shape.

BC
Old 05-05-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

No problem with running it over p/s res just trying to figure out how to get it over and llok good. looks like you use two 90's, are they plastic or rubber? I was looking at something like spectre 97495, painted black??? Just haven't see one installed and not how it will fit, would love a one tube that would run all the way without a bunch of splices
Attached Thumbnails Cold air intake help 67 A-body-97495_3.jpg  
Old 05-05-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yon might look into the Air-Raid U-Build it system. you can assmeble it. .sand it down and paint it to look like one peice. I bit costly.. but has everything you might need to create a CAI tube.

BC
Old 05-05-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

That is exactly why I bought a dual pass radiator. The return radiator hose is on the passenger side leaving room for the CAI tubing. Just posting his information for others who are researching CAI's. You could relocate your battery to the trunk and that would leave room for the airfilter.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea if my outlet was on the pax side, but with VVT the best water pump has output on drivers side. Was thinking about pro-charger down the line,but funds are limited and the girl needs a lot of other mods first. Anyone else run it over the top of the PS.
Air raid at $300 for a do it your self seems high, but I did see some really nice installs, like the fact they can be smothed out and painted.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

The muscle pan is about 6 1/2" deep, the F-Body is about 5" deep.. and site just about even with the bottom of the Crossmember.. (normally).. so. depending on how you mount your engine.. could be anyware from 1" to 2" below the Crossmember.

On my Chevelle, I ran the CTS-V pan, it hung 1" below the Crossmember.. I bottomed it so many time, I finally cracked it and has to remove it during this past Winter. I had bottomed out an dips, drive way and speed bump.. just wasn't worth the hassle.. IMHO .. .get a pan that works..!..

BC
Old 05-11-2013, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

So this is what it turned out like, Spectre 97495 off the TB mated to Spectre 97990 then a 8131 fliter. Looking for commits on the position of the MAF, will this work? Should I look at the spectre 9705 MAF adapter between the two pipes instead ? I will have to pay someone to weld fitting on or just purchase the 9705. I may install another 90 and push filter futher under the fender if I need cooler air, what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Cold air intake help 67 A-body-dscf2147.jpg   Cold air intake help 67 A-body-dscf2149.jpg  
Old 05-11-2013, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Just my .02 cents, but it doesn't look very good, it stands out too much. On my 66 GTO I spent about $250.00 on tubing and couplers and filter and ran mine to the driver side and it ended up looking kinda like yours.

I went back to my original filter set up which has a filter/maf combo right at the throttle body, I was wondering how much the cai is worth in power and if it is even noticeable on a stock engine. I have noticed the Mast Motors are putting out a lot of power and if you notice they use their in house harness and ecu and their motors come with a filter/maf combo directly mounted to the throttle body as well.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody use the AirRaid cold air enclosure 100-261 they have for the Chevelle? Use it with the u-build it tubing and it would make for a OE looking setup, but you'd end up spending $300 like mentioned earlier.
Attached Thumbnails Cold air intake help 67 A-body-airraid-100-261-installed.jpg  
Old 05-11-2013, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

To the original poster. Can you close your hood with that setup?
Old 05-11-2013, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree, even painted black with black coulpers its going to stick out. The old buick had a starwars type aircleaner that looks cool, but with standard hood I dont think it would fit well. Not sure but direction say this stlye MAF is to be at least 10 from TB. Motor is an LY6 with LS3 VVT cam/intake/injectors. Last thing i tunned was a Carter AFB with a vacum gauge so this is way over my head.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
To the original poster. Can you close your hood with that setup?
Yes the hood closes, think it may touch the insulation but no real contact.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fox12303
Anybody use the AirRaid cold air enclosure 100-261 they have for the Chevelle? Use it with the u-build it tubing and it would make for a OE looking setup, but you'd end up spending $300 like mentioned earlier.
I like the looks of that, Think I would rather it disapear under the fender so that you could not see the airfilter at all.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Not sure on the maf, mine is a street & performance filter/maf combo and my maf is probably 1-2 inches from the throttle blade, also check out mast Motorsports and look at their maf/filter combo. I am sure the cai has to be worth some power, I just wonder how much and if it is noticeable with the butt dyno.

On my GTO my battery is on the drivers side, and i dont want to relocate my battery to the trunk and on my passenger side I have my ECM and fuse panel and my attempt at a cai interfered with my upper radiator hose, I have a Afco swap radiator and both the inlet and outlet are on the passenger side. I like the look of the cai but I just couldn't get it to my liking on my car, I copied another swap on here by rocketrod on his camaro that was to my liking but his is on the passenger side and I couldn't get it to look good on my driver side install.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Will tha MAF work there? I also read beyond the ten inches from the TB you need to be so far from bends in the ducting. The distance from the bends seems very hard to do.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lizeec
Not sure on the maf, mine is a street & performance filter/maf combo and my maf is probably 1-2 inches from the throttle blade, also check out mast Motorsports and look at their maf/filter combo. I am sure the cai has to be worth some power, I just wonder how much and if it is noticeable with the butt dyno.

On my GTO my battery is on the drivers side, and i dont want to relocate my battery to the trunk and on my passenger side I have my ECM and fuse panel and my attempt at a cai interfered with my upper radiator hose, I have a Afco swap radiator and both the inlet and outlet are on the passenger side. I like the look of the cai but I just couldn't get it to my liking on my car, I copied another swap on here by rocketrod on his camaro that was to my liking but his is on the passenger side and I couldn't get it to look good on my driver side install.
The S&P is small, don't care for the chrome. The Mast motorspors looks better to me. Looks like K&N fliter could not see the MAF and didn't see pricing on the website so I will try to call on Monday.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I'm not thrilled about it either, that is why I was trying to do a cai set up as well, I do know the filter is available in 2-4-6" widths, I have the 4" the other thing I don't like on the street and performance is it has the company name and address on it, I don't like their advertising all over my overpriced filter cover. On the Mast it does look nice and I can only imagine the maf is behind he filter, I don't know where else it could be?

I have read the maf has to be in a straight section of the cai and that you don't want the maf in any of the curved sections. Look up rocketrod on this forum, I liked his setup and he has part numbers and is what I was trying to duplicate but I just couldn't get mine to work on my drivers side filter exit.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look on page 8 , post # 177 of my build you can see how I used a K&N setup on my 67 . different rad but still may work . JOHN
Old 05-12-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by john 67
If you look on page 8 , post # 177 of my build you can see how I used a K&N setup on my 67 . different rad but still may work . JOHN
Your car turned out Great! Even If swap rad, I only have 2 1/4 inches between ps res and fan. Fan is 3 1/4 thick so I dont think I can gain much there. Maybe it time to look at a different res or different location, I guess I will start with this and keep looking for something better. Moving the battery go to pax side might be easier.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake help 67 A-body