Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Chevelle install please

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with Chevelle install please

I am having some problems fitting a 6.0 LQ9 in my '72 Chevelle. I have the F-body pan which was suppose to have a 1/4" clearance to the back of the frame from other installs I have read about. My pan is touching the back side of the frame. I am using 1" setback (3/8" thick) plates already and was looking at some that could go up to 1.5" back but I don't think they will fit on my block. The 1" setbacks are already touching (what appears to be) a mounting boss of some sort at the top of the plates and just ahead of them. To get more rearward block movement I would need the plates to move forward (be longer).

From other installs it sounded like the F-body pan would clear the steering control arms and with mine the grease zerks hit on the pan. I could see trying some 1/4" shims under the mounts but I don't think that is going to be enough to clear the linkage. Do you get the same result if the shims go under the frame mount or the engine mount.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try moving the Frame Stands.. take them off and either re-drill the holes in the stands or oblong the holes in the crossmember in the direction you need to move them. Then reboot them back down.

I would suggest you bolt the adapter plates, engine mounts and frames stand to the block. Drop it in and then move the engine to where you want. the mark the hole location.
Remove the engine and re-drill the holes as needed and then remount the frame stands.

BC
Old 07-21-2013, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BC is correct! That is the easiest was to make the engine fit. I dropped an ls1 into a 67 chevelle using the same method.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

I think I may be able to get enough clearance to use a 1-1/4" setback plate if I add 3/8" or so of spacers between the adapter plate and the block. This is what I was considering... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stokers-Adjustable-LS-Engine-Brackets-Adapters-for-LS1-LS6-LS7-LS9-5-3-6-0-/111113416693?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19dee02ff5&vxp=mtr#ht_314wt_820
Old 07-22-2013, 02:56 AM
TECH Resident

I just measured my Energy Suspension mounts and found them to be 3/4" shorter than stock chevy mounts. So, if guys are still adding 1/4" to stock mounts with a 3/8" thick adapter plate then that would make me 1" short on height, right?
Old 07-22-2013, 07:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

These did the trick for me. Also cleared up the problem with the tie-rod hitting as you mentioned:

http://dirtydingo.com/store/product_...=1372&CDpath=8
Old 07-22-2013, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are two different Mounts. .the Tall and Narrow vs the Short and Wide.

Using one or the other or using a combination of the mounts can give you different height on the mounts. Which is what I did for my Chevelle. I used the Tall and Narrow mounts, but mod' the short and wide frame stands to get the right height that I wanted.

take a look at page 15
from Energysuspension.

BC
Old 07-22-2013, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

The mounts, brackets and stands come out to the same height when used as a set. This is thoroughly discussed over on Chevelle Tech. I didn't believe it either so I've been down that road only to find out that after the mounts are added they are the same.

Originally Posted by bczee
There are two different Mounts. .the Tall and Narrow vs the Short and Wide.

Using one or the other or using a combination of the mounts can give you different height on the mounts. Which is what I did for my Chevelle. I used the Tall and Narrow mounts, but mod' the short and wide frame stands to get the right height that I wanted.

take a look at page 15
from Energysuspension.

BC

Quick Reply: Help with Chevelle install please