Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need alternator or power steering delete pulley for y-body belt spacing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need alternator or power steering delete pulley for y-body belt spacing.

Had the car at VIR this weekend and got belt slip bad enough to stretch and snap the belt; worked fine on the dyno. Need to add a pulley to the driver's side of the water pump for more belt wrap. Anyone make a kit on y-body belt spacing?

This didn't work... ended up cranking the tensioner tighter than it's supposed to be and keeping the rpms under 6000 for the rest of the weekend. No more slippage after that, but want to correct it so it's a non-issue.

Something like this.... but for y-body spacing and w/o the need for an extra PS/alternator bracket.

~Brian
Old 07-22-2013, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

What hole does this idler bolt to? Is it just a spare block hole with a machined spacer?

Old 07-22-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

You don't run an alternator? Looks like you could just run an electric water pump and not worry about any belts at all.

The bottom pic in your first post looks like the Dirty Dingo relocation kit used when switching from a truck intake to car to clear the lower throttle body.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alternator is driven off the pinion on the rear end. Don't want an EWP for road racing. They don't flow as much as a traditional mechanical pump.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

post up a direct pic of yours please . the side angle is not letting me look at it best .
Old 07-22-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have a clear direct picture. Been restoring the car for 13 months and after this past weekend it went back to my father in NC. He'll be ironing out the kinks while I get back to my car.

It's a stock LS1 with the only accessory being a water pump.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that pic helped a lot .

possible to get longer bolts and make a simple plate with some small spacer to mount a ribbed pulley off the driverside water pump 3 bolts .

this would get you more wrap on the h20 pump and still be good on the crank .

is that a mechanical tensioner or auto matic like stock ?

serp belts tend to like auto tensioners I have noticed over a fixed tension unit. take a stock vehicle and rev it quick and watch the belt / tensioner go crazy and back to normal . fixed tensioner cant keep up with that .
Old 07-22-2013, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

On a road course the fixed tensioners work better. With rapid on/off throttle transitions the stock ones can pull inward and let the belt jump.

Quick Reply: Need alternator or power steering delete pulley for y-body belt spacing.