Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice before gutting an 04' GMC Yukon Xl with a 5.3L LM7

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice before gutting an 04' GMC Yukon Xl with a 5.3L LM7

New to the site. Have wanted to join for the last few years but finally did. I have a first year 97' C5 Corvette with the LS1. I'm an active member of the Corvette Forum but need some more specific knowledge on these LS engines. So here I am. My C5 is pretty basic. I have a Vararam intake. I recently painted an LS6 intake I bought for it and also bought a Shaner P/P throttlebody. When Pfadt releases their Tri-Y headers for the C5, I'm buying them. I have a tuner so will get tuned at that point. Then start saving for some 243 heads and a good street cam and that will be it for the C5. If I end up with 400+ at the wheels, then I will be cool with the car. It's a 6 speed btw.
So why I'm really here. I have a 1946 International Harvester longbed I'm building. I stripped it down to the bare frame and fabbed in Jaguar front and rear independent suspension. I had a small journal 327 rebuilt and ready to go for it but ended up selling the motor and 700R4 trans I had to a friend of mine. So I have been on the hunt for an LS setup.

I have a buddy I work with at UPS that owns a tow business. He lets me pick off cars before he sells them to the wrecking yards or crushes them. I told him to keep an eye out for any newer GM truck, Tahoe, Suburban, Camaro.... Well, like the tital says he has an 04' Yukon Xl he said I can gut. He's gonna tow it to my house and leave it here until I'm done.
I had hoped to get a 6.0L but this will be fine and after reading the power ratings of the 5.3L with a cam swap, heads ported, and headers.... I'm cool with that!
What I can't find online in my days of searching is any kind of guide on gutting a donor LS car or truck. I'm not too worried about it but want to make sure I take everything I need and anything I can use on my 46'.

My short list of what I will grab.
Motor and trans.
Engine harness and ECU.
Gas pedal and TAC module?
Driveline
fuel tank
Not sure what else but will just take whatever looks usable.
If anyone knows of a thread or something that details a teardown....
Old 07-24-2013, 02:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Most people are more excited to make a build thread on what they're building rather than doing a thread on tearing apart the donor, so you may be out of luck on that. But it does appear you have a prety decent idea of what you need. Like you said, just take anything you think you might need, you can always get rid of unsued parts when you're done. Sounds like a cool project. Got any pics?
Old 07-24-2013, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

I figured that the LS swap has become so popular and common that someone would have done a walk through of sorts on how to efficiently strip the goodies out of a donor.
Especially being so many are pulled in wrecking yards. Knowing what tools and such will be needed could sure save some headaches while wrenching in a salvage yard.
I have a couple build threads. I just added them to my signiture. Both threads contain the same photos of the progress yet both are a little different as members make different comments and give different info. Either will give you a great look at the build though. Here's a front view of my truck with the bags deflated and the Jag suspension bottomed out. Love the look!

Old 07-24-2013, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Disassembly or tear down is already documented.. just look at a Factory Service Manual (FSM).. I am sure if you look some more you might find some articals, youtube vid's and write ups on removal of the engine or parts..

BC
Old 07-24-2013, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

I sure havn't found anything online.

As far as the gutting of the Yukon, it will be at my house so not too worried. I'll have time to document it myself. For the swap, anything special I will need that I didn't mention?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

add to the list..
Fans if they are there
fuse box
Relays
Radiator if it will fit ?
anything on the AC ?
But I think you are going to have a lot of custom parts..

love the project truck !.. will be following..

BC
Old 07-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Fuel filler neck and cap and maybe even the sheet metal around the cap with the door in case it will blend into your IH.

Vapor canister.

Coolant overflow tank.

Trans and oil coolers and lines

Wiper motor, linkage and posts if you plan on running any on the IH. That way you can have intermittent wipers!

Seat belts? Seats?

Pedal assy and mounting brackets, brake MC?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Just got verification of mileage on the donor Yukon. 48K miles!!! Very good news.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:56 AM
Teching In

Cruise control module and cable.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dang!
nice truck.
get as much wiring as possible. Extra can be used to rewire or make standalone harness. of course all fuse blocks.
get dash
get lights and their wiring
brake light switch
Old 07-26-2013, 01:14 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm thinking now I will take anything I can unbolt and take out. Leave it an empty shell. Might just get a Rebel or EZ wiring harness custom made for my truck as far as what I want in it. I'm gonna yank the Yukon one out anyway.

Quick Reply: Advice before gutting an 04' GMC Yukon Xl with a 5.3L LM7