Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on this car for a LS or RB swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on this car for a LS or RB swap?

Came across this and want to know what people think. Would either be doing an LS1 or RB25 in it. Goals would be a street monster that traps 130s-140s but can still maybe do an auto x or have some drifting fun every once in a while. Would this be a good starting point for that.
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics and info of car would be nice...
TECH Resident

Fail forgot to add the link lol
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/ctd/3975929017.html
Old 08-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Launching!

I would keep looking lol. Of course I have always hated the Z31. Would prefer an S30 or Z32. But both the Z31 and Z32 are heavy so not ideal for what you are trying to do with it.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SWAGON
I would keep looking lol. Of course I have always hated the Z31. Would prefer an S30 or Z32. But both the Z31 and Z32 are heavy so not ideal for what you are trying to do with it.
I've heard Z32s are extremely hard to work on so not really good for me since this will be a learning process. Aren't Z31s only like 2900 pounds though? Thats not that heavy. A little diet and it could be a good 2600-2700 pounds. Which is easily on par with a 280z and lighter than most cars. Sure beats a 3400lb f-body. An S30 is my ideal car for such a project but they are much more expensive and harder to find. Z32s are also more costly than Z31s. IMO Z31s are really nice looking when done right.

Im looking for feedback on the car itself though regardless of opinion on looks. Does it seem like a good candidate for a swap project?
Old 08-02-2013, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

The LSx swap isn't very hard at all and the RB can be a bolt in if you have money, but the stock VG30 can be pretty potent with a little boost. Weight is in the 3000lb range depending on options. The stock rear suspension isn't much for drag racing, but S13 subframe swaps are becoming very popular. I've also seen a Ford 7.5/8.8 swap (the shock mounts line up).

Check out Z31performance.com. Lots of information there.

My build thread seems to have disappeared from LS1tech. Not sure whats up with that. I have a thread on Z31p, but you may have to register to view it.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Launching!

You can get a 260 or 280 cheaper. You could do either swap in any of them but for any actual track goals, I would want the earlier cars for weight savings. It all depends on personal preference. If you like the Z31 styling best, just go with that.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SWAGON
You can get a 260 or 280 cheaper. You could do either swap in any of them but for any actual track goals, I would want the earlier cars for weight savings. It all depends on personal preference. If you like the Z31 styling best, just go with that.
The Z31 styling is definitely not my favorite. But I don't think they are bad looking cars at all. I love the older Datsuns, but no way in hell I can find an S30 in the condition that that car in the link is in for 1000 bucks let alone 2 or 3k. Just not happening and I've been searching for a couple months already. If you really think I can get one in that price range please show me cause I'm dying for one lol and I've been looking really hard for one with no success.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by i r teh noobz
The LSx swap isn't very hard at all and the RB can be a bolt in if you have money, but the stock VG30 can be pretty potent with a little boost. Weight is in the 3000lb range depending on options. The stock rear suspension isn't much for drag racing, but S13 subframe swaps are becoming very popular. I've also seen a Ford 7.5/8.8 swap (the shock mounts line up).

Check out Z31performance.com. Lots of information there.

My build thread seems to have disappeared from LS1tech. Not sure whats up with that. I have a thread on Z31p, but you may have to register to view it.
Thank you appreciate the good info.
Can you link the thread? Looked around for a bit but couldn't find anything. They don't have a section for motor swaps and stuff.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:13 AM
TECH Resident

http://z31performance.com/showthread...4969-LSx-300ZX

Its in "Member's Rides." I think they added a minimum post requirement to access most of the subforums to weed out the ricers. I can't view it without logging in.

Search here for SATAN's build. He has a 6.0 turbo in an 85. He disappeared from the forums shortly after he got it started though. Wireguy had started a 6.0 build but scrapped it.

The engine fits well. F-body pan, shorty headers, custom mounts. Extra cylinders sit where the exhaust crossover pipe used to go so the engine isn't any farther forward than the VG30. I run a TKO600, but I've seen at least one T56. SATAN had a powerglide. If you have any specific questions, PM me and I'll help if I can.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

http://z31performance.com/showthread...4969-LSx-300ZX

Its in "Member's Rides." I think they added a minimum post requirement to access most of the subforums to weed out the ricers. I can't view it without logging in.

Search here for SATAN's build. He has a 6.0 turbo in an 85. He disappeared from the forums shortly after he got it started though. Wireguy had started a 6.0 build but scrapped it.

The engine fits well. F-body pan, shorty headers, custom mounts. Extra cylinders sit where the exhaust crossover pipe used to go so the engine isn't any farther forward than the VG30. I run a TKO600, but I've seen at least one T56. SATAN had a powerglide. If you have any specific questions, PM me and I'll help if I can.
I PMed you.

I went and saw the car today. Minimal rust, rear suspension is shot. Thats the main issue the car has. Didn't have a chance to drive it but he said the motor and trans were solid, and that the rear suspension was the main issue. Interior wasn't great but wasn't too bad either. Just giving a little more info so people can give me better feedback What other issues besides the suspension should I be looking at on these cars?
Old 08-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a couple z31's, and work on them allot. If you like it I would definatly buy it at that price. rust at the rear suspension crossmember mounting bolts in front of the rear tires, under the battery, and the trunk behind the drivers rear tire are the key areas.
They can be pretty light, we are building on here that is gutted with a decent VG and its around 2600#, makes 450-500whp on a stock motor.
For the rear I would go right ahead and do the S13 subframe swap, its a bitch to get the trailing arm setup to work on these things and can get expensive. Plus good components are hard to get vs S13 you can get any coilover you want.

Aside from that if its in visually good shape their isn't much that breaks on them.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

If the rear is "shot" is probably the subframe bushings. They will clunk hard if you snap the throttle open and closed in gear at low speed. Shocks are probably trashed as well. Easy fixes.

Definitely check for rust under the tool kit, in the spare tire well, in front of the rear subframe (right behind the seats, the T-Tops leak there), battery tray, and the frame rails near the firewall. If its clean there, it should be a solid car and well worth a grand if you don't like it.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Grr
I have had a couple z31's, and work on them allot. If you like it I would definatly buy it at that price. rust at the rear suspension crossmember mounting bolts in front of the rear tires, under the battery, and the trunk behind the drivers rear tire are the key areas.
They can be pretty light, we are building on here that is gutted with a decent VG and its around 2600#, makes 450-500whp on a stock motor.
For the rear I would go right ahead and do the S13 subframe swap, its a bitch to get the trailing arm setup to work on these things and can get expensive. Plus good components are hard to get vs S13 you can get any coilover you want.

Aside from that if its in visually good shape their isn't much that breaks on them.
Thats pretty good. Are mods for a VG any cheaper than an RB or LS motor?

If the rear is "shot" is probably the subframe bushings. They will clunk hard if you snap the throttle open and closed in gear at low speed. Shocks are probably trashed as well. Easy fixes.

Definitely check for rust under the tool kit, in the spare tire well, in front of the rear subframe (right behind the seats, the T-Tops leak there), battery tray, and the frame rails near the firewall. If its clean there, it should be a solid car and well worth a grand if you don't like it.
Thanks, planning to head back sometime during the week so I can check all that out.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/3937232531.html
Found another one. Didn't know these could be had so cheap in decent running condition.

Quick Reply: Opinions on this car for a LS or RB swap?