Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 Conquest Build: 5.3, T56

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1988 Conquest Build: 5.3, T56

Wow! I went to LS Fest last weekend with my son Clay as spectators. Best time I’ve ever had at a car event, bar-none!!! There was so much action going on and the quality of the cars is unparalleled.
So here I am inspired, motivated and launching my build now in hopes to have it completed before LS Fest 2014.
I bought this 1988 Chrysler Conquest TSI, Fiji Blue, Black Leather Interior, almost two years ago for $550 and haven’t touched it since. Oh, I should mention that it is rust free. Wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with the car… until this past weekend. It did not have an engine and sold the transmission to a member over at StarQuestClub.com about a year ago. As you may know, these came with a 2.6L turbo and this one had a 5spd.
I’m going with the K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple, Stupid) approach. I’ve had a ton of concepts of what could be achieved and some cool upgrades that I would like to do. However, in order to get this project finished in time and within budget I will need to remain focused and not adapt the “I might as well do this if I’m gonna’ do that” thought process. The overall strategy is to get a base engine and transmission in, get the car road-worthy, work out any kinks and issues and go have fun at LS Fest. Then go to work on upgrading and modifying the different systems (brakes, suspension, paint & body, etc) as time and budget allows.
Engine:
It goes without saying, I guess, but it will get an LS-based engine; just not sure which one yet as budget will ultimately determine what I can afford. All aluminum would be great in terms of weight, but that would raise the budget. Besides, if I later have the desire to install a power adder (supercharger, turbo, twin-turbo) the cast block, from what I understand, will be stronger.
Transmission:
T56. Is there really any other choice? I could go with a 4l60/80, but what’s the fun in that? I’ve always appreciated the sense of control a manual transmission delivers.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank those that have inspired and motivated me to this point (besides LS Fest). My sons Clay and DJ; Both of which are car-nuts too. Clay has a build thread of his ’73 El Camino with a 5.3 on here and DJ has a build thread of his ’78 Celica GT over at Classic-Celica.com. Outside the family, motivation has come from a few other Conquest/LS builders such as Convette (has a build thread on here), Boosted88tsi at StarQuestClub.com, and Matt, whom I believe built the first LS1 Conquest that I know of. Matt is a mechanic that works at a well-known performance shop here in Charlotte, NC. I believe there was another Conquest/LS swap about the same time, but if I recall correctly, it was set up strictly for drag racing. Thanks, all!
Clay’s
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...o-ls-swap.html
DJ’s
http://www.classic-celica.com/module...ewtopic&t=2001
Anyhow… enough rambling, let’s get this build started.
-Dan
Old 09-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Default Before Pics. As of Yesterday

Here it is. Four flat tires and dirty.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Default Interior Pics. Good condition, except the console is not complete.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Default Engine bay pics.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Always loved those cars...Looking forward to the build.

Andrew
Old 09-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Default First pressure washing.

My Son Clay.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Always loved those cars...Looking forward to the build.

Andrew
Thanks, Andrew. They are the quintessential 80's styling inside and out, but I love it just the same.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Default Stuff completed today.

Started today with removing some unnecessary gadgets under the hood:
All AC components
Cruise control components
ABS components
Evap components

Old 09-15-2013, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed
Old 09-15-2013, 05:16 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LS Quest
Best time I’ve ever had at a car event, bar-none!!! There was so much action going on and the quality of the cars is unparalleled.
Indeed. The show was badass. Speaking of badass... that little car is going to scoot! Be careful with the chassis too.... reinforce as nec or it might bend/break etc

Good luck and have fun
Old 09-15-2013, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

I've been waiting for another Conquest build. Should be a fun ride once its done.

I want a set of those wheels for my Z. They look great on anything 80s.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 199 Likes on 99 Posts

I love the look of the Conquest TSI cars... If I could find one with a nice body, I might have to build one.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cam
Indeed. The show was badass. Speaking of badass... that little car is going to scoot! Be careful with the chassis too.... reinforce as nec or it might bend/break etc

Good luck and have fun
Oh yeah, a 6pt cage will definitely be part of my basic build.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by i r teh noobz
I've been waiting for another Conquest build. Should be a fun ride once its done.

I want a set of those wheels for my Z. They look great on anything 80s.
You should check out starquestclub.com as they pop up in the 'For sale' section quite often.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Default Oh yeah... One more thing I should mention:

Yesterday we hooked up a battery, even though there is no engine or transmission, just to see what works and what doesn't work. To our surprise, I believe everything functions! Windows, wipers (front & rear), washers, radio, heater fan, lights (headlights, taillights), seatbelts, etc. The only thing that we could find that didn't work, was the antenna; we could hear the motor, but it would appear the mast is broken off.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Will be following this build closely...

Just finished an LS swap in my BMW, but I miss my old 'quest (red 89 SHP)...thinking I may build one as my next project!

Best of luck to you on your build! Should make for an AWESOME car once finished.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Thanks, TurboSportTSI. My completion date is set for June/July 2014. Time enough to get it done and ready for two events in Sept; LS Fest in Bowling Green, KY and the National StarQuest Meet in Houston, TX.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Default Back on track.

Had to take the Conquest down off the stands last month and move it to do some work on my sons El Camino.

When we put the 5.3 in the El Camino, we kept the oil pan from the truck on the engine. Bad idea, and we new it at the time, but budget didn't allow for a $400 pan at the time. So, he ended up bottoming-out one too many times. We ordered a Holley pan and put it on. While the engine was out, we noticed a crack in the transmission bell housing. So we decided to replace the TH350 with a 700r4. It's all back together and on the road again.

So now it's time to get back on track with the Conquest.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Default Today we...

Removed the carpet

It's in pretty good shape. Pressure washed it (no pics). Looks nearly new now. Just need to vacuum it and take a semi-stiff brush to it and make it look and feel like carpet again.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Default And then we...

Removed the Rear Bumper.

Probably one of the easiest Rear Bumpers in the automotive world to remove. Took about 5 minutes total.

Quick Reply: 1988 Conquest Build: 5.3, T56