Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Cadillac CTS-V Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Cadillac CTS-V Cruise Control

This is a one year only computer engine setup with this being DBW and an LS6. Has anyone ever got there cruise control to work with this donor setup?
A little history. I'm pretty much done with a 32 Ford Roadster with the LS6 and 6 speed from an 05 CTS-V. The CTS-V was rolled on a test drive and has less than 100 miles on it. The caddy was started and driven into the garage when it was gutted and now that I am on the tail end of the build, it will run and drive. The computer was reprogrammed by Street and Performance (to remove emissions), the harness was built by them, but I have later found out it is just a Corvette harness and has some errors in for the Caddy computer. I've tracked down all the wires to the PIN out according to the GM service manual. I have also found out there were some errors in the printing of this and I do not have access to GM updates. (One example is the Pin-outs for the TAC to Pedal short harness. The book shows an A-A, B-B, ect. but in actuality it was not). I have used the factory switch from the Caddy wheel, relay setups and Dakota Digital handles using multiple diagrams and variants I have found on here and other swap based sites. I am going to drive the car for a while but am coming back to this in the winter.

My questions...has anyone using this computer ever gotten cruise to work.
Are there any known incorrect PIN-outs compared to the service manual?

I have been told I need and told I do not need, the 2 circuit brake light switch hooked up. Right now I am just using the feed from the tail lights, normally open side. One person has said the other normally closed side is only used in automatic cars... any thoughts?

I have the factory clutch switch hooked up. What terminals should I be using and to what terminals on my computer or TAC box?

At this point, I am ready to give up, but would love any feed back or discussions that anyone help me with. I can also provide more details on what I have done. Thanks Josh
Old 09-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Default Bump

Anyone?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Without knowing exactly what you've done, it's hard to say, but I have the wiring diagrams and it looks like you might need a signal from the EBCM, or a way to generate that signal. What do you have the 'extended brake travel' wire hooked to? Do you have access to any kind of scanner that would show cruise data? Also, do you have LED taillights? On the older systems the cruise wouldn't work unless there was enough resistance in the brake light circuit during start up for the cruise to see a ground through them.

Last edited by ls1nova71; 09-25-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Cruise and brake schematics in case you need them.
Attached Thumbnails 2005 Cadillac CTS-V Cruise Control-7.gif   2005 Cadillac CTS-V Cruise Control-5.gif  
Old 09-29-2013, 02:51 PM
Teching In

The EBCM is not present in the harness that I got from Street and Performance. They built the harness for cruise inputs for On/Off, Set/Coast, Resume/Accel. I'm not sure about and extended travel brake switch. I am using a Corvette unit that has 2 circuits built into it. One is an open circuit that closes when the pedal is pressed activating the taillights. This circuit is also tied into the cruise brake light wire. I have regular 1157 bulbs, no LEDs. The brake light wire I am using runs to my TAC box. There is a second wire from their harness, but upon tracking it down it went to a dead pin and was supposedly only used for automatics according to Street and Performance's employees. Your charts are a little different from mine and I know the factory service manual was printed with at least one error concerning the PIN outs from the TAC box to the accelerator pedal. The GM book used the same as a corvette when it is not. Street and Performance built a new cable to go between the 2 and got me up and running, but they can not figure out the cruise over the phone and several states away so taking the car there is not an option. I have a basic scanner, it does not show cruise or anything like that. I have been trying to figure out if I pay a shop to help me or buy a good scanner, but this is the only car I would use it on, so right now it don't seem like a good investment.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Veteran

I just realized you're from Canton Illinois, I know exactly where that is since I have some friends that moved here from there about 25 years ago or so, small world.

Anyway, what are you currently using for switches for the cruise? Have you made certain that they are getting power? Also, I would hook up the wire that is supposed to go to the normally closed set of switches in the brake switch, you may need that circuit hooked up for it to function. There is a lot of safety overkill built into factory cruise control systems and that circuit not being hooked up may be causing it not to work. Also, do you know if they flashed a Corvette tune into the PCM? If so, you may need corvette schematics. This is my guess as to what they would have done since you say the harness was a modified vette...
Old 09-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Teching In

the first switch I was trying to make work was the Cadillac factory switch from the steering wheel. I took the whole unit and relays and wired it in, adding power from my Painless fuse box. The only thing different was I eliminated the barrel that the wires passed through when they went through the column. After multiple variations with this, the most I would ever get was the light on the switch to light up when I hit the on button. Street and Performance gave me a diagram for a Dakota Digital handle using relays as well and I found a similar one someone did using the truck engine and computer. I tried the Dakota Digital HND-3 handle and relays to compensate for this being a normally open/closed situation. No luck there either. The computer is still 05 CTS-V. There is some differences in the DBW throttle body that require this to be kept Cadillac, or if I do switch, then I need a new throttle body, which is more money and I'm at the point where I do not want to throw money at it with out knowing definitively I can get it going. I know it is just cruise control, but I hate to give up...
Old 09-29-2013, 04:46 PM
TECH Veteran

I hear you on not wanting to give up the cruise, I use mine all the time! Have you tried just 'hotwiring' it temporarily? Just hook a hot wire directly to the on/off wire, then touching the set/coast to the same hot once driving to see if it works that way? Maybe your problem is in the relays not being wired just right? Just a thought.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:03 PM

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum, but in need of the same information. I am helping my father with an '03 Mazda Miata. We too are using an '05 CTS-V, only our harness was provided by Hotwire. As for the pedal wiring diagram mistake, I had to figure that one out on my own. The car is now on the road, but the cruise is the last electrical function (and therefore my issue) to overcome. I have supplied the PCM with CCP voltage, though all my information says the wire is in C2 spot 35 as opposed to the C1 spot 35 I have seen online. I intend to apply voltage on the EBPP input though currently I just have the input to the TAC from the stoplight. Thanks for the help everyone!

Randy
Old 09-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

I know from my Cobalt time that some of the GM PCM's look for both clutch switches to cycle a certain number of times before you will be able to engage cruise (the upper and lower switches need to be triggered in sequence). I haven't specifically looked at this car's setup yet but if it's not seeing the clutch up and clutch down triggers it may not allow cruise to engage.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:18 PM
TECH Veteran

I wouldn't hook 12v to the EBPP wire, as it's a 5v reference signal. You could try using a resistor to knock it down to 5v. To the original poster, you might want to try putting 5v on that wire too to simulate that switch being hooked up. (C1-62).
Old 09-29-2013, 07:52 PM

Thank you for the heads up on the EBBP wire Ls1nova71. The simplified schematic in the FSM shows a discrete wire from the EBCM to the PCM as well as a separate brake position sensor feeding the EBCM, but it didn't show the discrete as a 5v ref.

Randy
Old 10-02-2013, 04:46 PM

After seeing repeated references to the CPP input on C1, I went back and double checked my references. Sure enough, the CPP discrete is on C1 cavity 35. So I corrected my mistake. While I was in the FSM, I did some more reading. What I found was that the EBCM sends not only a Class 2 message to the PCM prior to cruise engagement, but that when brakes are applied there is a high voltage input. So while I wouldn't want 12V applied to engage the cruise control, it might be necessary for full functionality. Ultimately, what I suspect (but haven't confirmed just yet) is that for use in another vehicle other than a CTS-V, the PCM required a reflash and disablement of the CAN bus. By doing that, I, and the OP may not be able to use the PCM for CC. All is not lost however. As I mentioned, my project is actually my father's car. He did some research and found that Rostra Precision Controls makes some aftermarket CC's for DBW vehicles. When he called them, they directed him to Brandon Distributing. I spoke with Mr. Brandon for a while and I believe his system will work. If I understand the system correctly, it simulates APP inputs to allow CC. My father ordered a system and it should be hear near the end of the week. Hopefully I will be able to report on it's function by this time next week.
I know this option isn't as simple as using the functionality originally programmed into the PCM. However it may offer a solution.

Randy
Old 10-02-2013, 05:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by noss1z28
The EBCM is not present in the harness that I got from Street and Performance. They built the harness for cruise inputs for On/Off, Set/Coast, Resume/Accel. I'm not sure about and extended travel brake switch. I am using a Corvette unit that has 2 circuits built into it. One is an open circuit that closes when the pedal is pressed activating the taillights. This circuit is also tied into the cruise brake light wire. I have regular 1157 bulbs, no LEDs. The brake light wire I am using runs to my TAC box. There is a second wire from their harness, but upon tracking it down it went to a dead pin and was supposedly only used for automatics according to Street and Performance's employees. Your charts are a little different from mine and I know the factory service manual was printed with at least one error concerning the PIN outs from the TAC box to the accelerator pedal. The GM book used the same as a corvette when it is not. Street and Performance built a new cable to go between the 2 and got me up and running, but they can not figure out the cruise over the phone and several states away so taking the car there is not an option. I have a basic scanner, it does not show cruise or anything like that. I have been trying to figure out if I pay a shop to help me or buy a good scanner, but this is the only car I would use it on, so right now it don't seem like a good investment.
If you're using the same side of the brake switch that works the brake lights, that's incorrect. You have to use the side of the switch that is normally closed and loses contack when the brake pedal is pushed.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
If you're using the same side of the brake switch that works the brake lights, that's incorrect. You have to use the side of the switch that is normally closed and loses contack when the brake pedal is pushed.
I tried using both sides of the switch when the normally closed side did not work. It does not work with it hooked up to either side of the switch.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Pin # 6 is missing in the tac module diagram (2nd) in post #4.

Any updates on this thread?
Old 03-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure if it helps but these are the correct pinouts for the cts-v pedal.

http://www.mstewart.net/miata/wiring/index.htm

this is basically the same setup adapted to a sbc discusses cruise control

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....le-to-DBW-swap

Last edited by monzaaddict; 03-24-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrenchinrandy
After seeing repeated references to the CPP input on C1, I went back and double checked my references. Sure enough, the CPP discrete is on C1 cavity 35. So I corrected my mistake. While I was in the FSM, I did some more reading. What I found was that the EBCM sends not only a Class 2 message to the PCM prior to cruise engagement, but that when brakes are applied there is a high voltage input. So while I wouldn't want 12V applied to engage the cruise control, it might be necessary for full functionality. Ultimately, what I suspect (but haven't confirmed just yet) is that for use in another vehicle other than a CTS-V, the PCM required a reflash and disablement of the CAN bus. By doing that, I, and the OP may not be able to use the PCM for CC. All is not lost however. As I mentioned, my project is actually my father's car. He did some research and found that Rostra Precision Controls makes some aftermarket CC's for DBW vehicles. When he called them, they directed him to Brandon Distributing. I spoke with Mr. Brandon for a while and I believe his system will work. If I understand the system correctly, it simulates APP inputs to allow CC. My father ordered a system and it should be hear near the end of the week. Hopefully I will be able to report on it's function by this time next week.
I know this option isn't as simple as using the functionality originally programmed into the PCM. However it may offer a solution.

Randy
Any update on this Randy?
Old 05-08-2014, 07:42 AM
Teching In

hi all, did either of you 2005 cts-v owners get the cruise to work properly?
Old 07-08-2015, 05:57 PM
Teching In

updates?

Quick Reply: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V Cruise Control