Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep Jk Rubicon Lq4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Jeep Jk Rubicon Lq4 swap

Hi , this is my first time posting on the forum , although I have been a lurker for quite some time . I am swapping a lq4 and 4l80e into my Jeep JK figure I'd post it on here and that way I can ask any question or concerns that I have . Bought the jeep last year put a 4" lift , 35" tires and bumpers. Needless to say after that its was a turd to drive around with the underpowered 3.8 v6 and got tired of it . I also have a 2000 camaro z28 m6 the previous owner had it tuned and worked on by lingenfelter . Its got the 475hp package , I just put a more aggressive cam in it and picked up about +20 at the wheels , so its got about 415 at the wheels.
So being familiar with LS platform , their ability to make horsepower cheap and I also have a Efi live tuner made it an easy decision for me to go the LS route rather than the Hemi . After researching I came across the kit sold by Motech for gen IV and 6l80e which starts at $5100+, which is not compatible with the stock rubicon NP241OR transfer case and was out of my budget , that went out of the window quick . So I just bought a used Lq4 and 4l80e complete with accessories, ECU and wiring harness out a 2003 2500 silverado HD with 150,xxx miles . Novak also offers engine mounts for ls swap into a JK and tranfer case adapter for the 4l80e to NP241OR as well . Just have to fabricate a cross member mount for the transmission.
So the plan for the engine is to use L92 heads with the LS3 intake . For the throttle body I'll be sticking to the DBW since i got the pedal and TAC module with the powertrain . Will be using a LS3 throttle body with torque rush adapter to make it compatible with gen 3 ecu. New valve springs ,pushrods , lifters and cam , havent decided the specs on the cam yet, oil pump ,timing chain . Will leave the bottom end untouched ,cant afford to rebuild that lol, will just gap the rings for now cuz I am planning to boost it later.
Now for the transmission part I am going to be rebuilding it using Jake's Performance Stage II rebuild kit , will be sticking with the stock converter for now and see how it works out , since I wheel the jeep quite often I don't want a higher stall .
As far as the wiring is concerned I'll be hacking the oem harness and using that . Still have to figure out the fuel , exhaust , cooling system and how to run the accessories. Was thinking of running the stock radiator , I know its not adequate but around here it barely ever gets above 68 F and half the year round stays below 32 F. Use the stock electric fan and use GM ecu to turn the fan on.Suggestions , comments and any sort of advice is most welcome
Here are some pictures of the project , sorry about the shitty qaulity

Last edited by Lsx Rubi; 12-25-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love jeep swaps!

Sub'd
Old 12-25-2013, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

They are a pretty good read,, get you help organized a bit
Old 12-26-2013, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

So I dropped the fuel tank this evening and pulled the pump and the sending unit

Now I was thinking of doing the twin walbro 255lph pumps , like most people do on the f-bodies . I really suck at fuel systems , should I be using the stock outlet or should I hack whole thing drill new AN fittings or something , will definitely have to use thicker gauge wires to power them . Completely clueless anybody got any ideas ??
Old 04-13-2020, 11:43 PM

Default Swap

I had a few questions for you, I recently picked up a lq9 for my 08 Rubi and was just wondering if you ever finished yours, thanks in Advance
Old 04-14-2020, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great question, seems he disappeared while ago,

I'd like to know to, I wanted to do this swap to my 12' but traded it for a JT,
Old 04-14-2020, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

He's still around. He was last here on 4/12. He might stop by here.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

I did finish it , but ended up going N/A route and ditched the turbo used it in another project lol. Never got the Tach to work , bought a Novak tach signal converter but that didn't work either . I am going to mess around with it more to see if I can get it to work . I took the engine and trans out a while ago going to make a few changes and put it back in.
The following 3 users liked this post by Lsx Rubi:
G Atsma (05-02-2020), josh youngs (06-13-2020), Steve68 (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

post up some pics, like to see what it all looks like,
The following users liked this post:
josh youngs (06-13-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lsx Rubi
I did finish it , but ended up going N/A route and ditched the turbo used it in another project lol. Never got the Tach to work , bought a Novak tach signal converter but that didn't work either . I am going to mess around with it more to see if I can get it to work . I took the engine and trans out a while ago going to make a few changes and put it back in.
you wouldn't happen to know or have written copy of how to do the wiring? I just picked up a lq4 and 4l80 to swap in to my jk. I'm nervous about the wiring part of it. Also do you have ac and everything working?

Quick Reply: Jeep Jk Rubicon Lq4 swap