Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator warning light wont go out

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 08:52 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Alternator warning light wont go out

I finally got my ls2 running . After checking all things I noticed my alternator light stays on. Volt meter at the battery says over 14v. I have the corvette accessories with is what I believe to be a 03-05 alt. It has the 4-pin conn and has the L/B wire only coming out of it. I hooked this to my 67 camaro brown wire . Everything works great but the light wont go out when engine is running. I can just turn the key on an light comes on and then unplug the alt wire and it goes out. Does anybody know if this is how this is going to work or is there something wrong with the alt. Any input would be great.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like the alt is good.
It sounds like there is a little compatibility issue between the new alt/wiring and the old cluster. Wish I could help more but that's all I got.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check pm
Old 01-18-2014, 09:34 AM
Launching!

62 , I got your pm but the diaghrams are to blurry. I can not zoom on them. Also see it is for a 04 truck. My understanding the corvette alt are a little diffrent. I would like to see what you have on the diaghrams if you could post them, maybe would be better to view here.

Also the alternator has the overrun clutch if this helps identify it.

Also the light does not dim at all. It looks to stay at full brightness.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jerrad
It sounds like the alt is good.
It sounds like there is a little compatibility issue between the new alt/wiring and the old cluster. Wish I could help more but that's all I got.
Jerrad, Thank for the reply, The compatibility is what I hope someone has had some experience with this alt. The pcm normally turns on the alt to this pin. What I dont know is if the alt is suppost to convert to a voltage instead of a ground like most do. It appears that it is staying a groung source for the light when running. Also if I can hook up the other wires along with the L/B pin to make it work.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

L/B wire? Forgive my ignorance...what's that mean? Have a pic of the alt connector?

My '00 alt and harness only has a sigle wire coming out of the connector which goes to the pcm. My alt light is not hooked up at the moment, but I bought a voltage sensing module (cheap little thing) from Ron Francis Wiring which hooks to a 12v keyed ignition source and to the factory alt light wiring...it will then illuminate the light if voltage drops below 12v. This is the only way I know of to make the alt light work in these swaps with the voltage controlled my the pcm.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
L/B wire? Forgive my ignorance...what's that mean? Have a pic of the alt connector?

My '00 alt and harness only has a sigle wire coming out of the connector which goes to the pcm. My alt light is not hooked up at the moment, but I bought a voltage sensing module (cheap little thing) from Ron Francis Wiring which hooks to a 12v keyed ignition source and to the factory alt light wiring...it will then illuminate the light if voltage drops below 12v. This is the only way I know of to make the alt light work in these swaps with the voltage controlled my the pcm.
99, The pin on the alt is marked L , and the pin on the connector is marked B . These two meet together when you plug them up. I dont have a picture at this time , but it is the 4-pin type they used up until 05 I think.

I did not know they had a controller like that. This may be a good solution. I will look into it. Thanks
Old 01-18-2014, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by homemade87
Jerrad, Thank for the reply, The compatibility is what I hope someone has had some experience with this alt. The pcm normally turns on the alt to this pin. What I dont know is if the alt is suppost to convert to a voltage instead of a ground like most do. It appears that it is staying a groung source for the light when running. Also if I can hook up the other wires along with the L/B pin to make it work.
Sure wish I could help man, wiring makes me want to crawl up and die unless it's something super simple.
99ssleeper does sound like he might be on the right track.
Sure hope it's a quick and easy fix.

Quick Reply: Alternator warning light wont go out