Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fox body ignition and chevy starter ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fox body ignition and chevy starter ideas

Whats the simplest, easiest way i could do the ignition on the foxbody to the chevy starter? any simple easy was of doing it? without splicing wires? any recommendations? and how did you all go about your ignition to stater wiring for a foxbody lsx swap? Thanks in advance
Old 02-01-2014, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

i ran my normal ford solenoid mounted in the fender well. I put the big wire to the starter on the same side of solenoid as the battery cable (big post). Then i put the trigger wire for the gm solenoid on the other (big post) by its self. . and use the factory wire from the ignition switch to trigger the ford solenoid. We used to do this on the foxbodies all the time when putting a 94-95 starter on a 302. the 94-95 starter has the solenoid on the starter too.. I kept the factory ford to keep all my electrical connections that tie together on it.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

bump for more suggestions
Old 02-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onequiklx
i ran my normal ford solenoid mounted in the fender well. I put the big wire to the starter on the same side of solenoid as the battery cable (big post). Then i put the trigger wire for the gm solenoid on the other (big post) by its self. . and use the factory wire from the ignition switch to trigger the ford solenoid. We used to do this on the foxbodies all the time when putting a 94-95 starter on a 302. the 94-95 starter has the solenoid on the starter too.. I kept the factory ford to keep all my electrical connections that tie together on it.
This is how I did it too. Simple no splicing needed I was even able to use the foxbody starter wires. (4cyl)

I originally had the ford solenoid in series with the Chevy one and had slow cranking issues. Now the ford solenoid simply triggers the Chevy one on the starter
Old 02-01-2014, 11:10 PM
9 Second Club

quick and easy way is to keep everything the exact same way as the factory ford starter is. On the GM starter just run a small jumper wire from the big post to the small post. so when you hit the key it gives the gm solenoid power to both posts. i did it that way on my SBC mustang and it works great. i just had to make a small 2" 16 gauge jumper wire.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

I think this is the way high torque mini starters general are wired to.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:22 AM
On The Tree

V8sten I have tried that way before had had prob with starter staying running for a few seconds after letting off the switch.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:45 AM
9 Second Club

when you let off the switch it kills all of the power to the starter. you may have had a bad ford solenoid at that time
Old 02-02-2014, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my ls1 starter is the same as a fox mini starter. Big wire to constant side of fox solenoid, small wire to start side. Same as fox
Old 09-02-2015, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by v8sten
quick and easy way is to keep everything the exact same way as the factory ford starter is. On the GM starter just run a small jumper wire from the big post to the small post. so when you hit the key it gives the gm solenoid power to both posts. i did it that way on my SBC mustang and it works great. i just had to make a small 2" 16 gauge jumper wire.
So basically what you're saying here is run a wire from the + side of the battery to the L side of the ford starter solenoid which also has wires powering the headlights, alternator etc? Then run a large wire from the R side of the ford starter solenoid to the large post on the GM starter to give it power, and have a jumper wire connect the large + side of the gm starter to the tiny post on the gm starter? What do I do with the tiny red/blue ignition wire that runs to the top of the factory ford starter solenoid? Just leave it in place?
Old 09-05-2015, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

V8sten I have tried that way before had had prob with starter staying running for a few seconds after letting off the switch.
Thats because the engine is turning the starter, the starter creates electricity and keeps the stater solenoid engaged. You can eliminate it by running a 16ga wire from the Ford solenoid small post to the GM solenoid post. Or, remove all of the Ford stuff and go directly to the GM solenoid.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

I've played with GM and Ford cars and I like the way Ford does the starter wiring. ON a GM car there is a lead going from the battery to the starter and it is always hot. The way Ford does it, the long lead to the starter is only hot when the engine is being started.

On my 67 Cougar I kept the Ford starter solenoid and jumped the LS starter solenoid as others have suggested. Works like a charm.

Andrew

Quick Reply: Fox body ignition and chevy starter ideas