Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone used traction control on their Gen IV swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone used traction control on their Gen IV swap?

I will be at 3000 pounds and over 500rwhp with my LS3 swap into my Z32 300zx so I will definitely need traction control. I am trying to look for an affordable option, I have only found really expensive setups. Does anyone have experience with a traction control setup on their Gen IV setup? Please post what you have.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No experience with traction control but the few times I've looked around the systems were fairly expensive. With decent suspension and good tires, traction may not be as bad as you'd think.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:20 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is if it gets cold, rainy, or you're on a bumpy road. And you can't always predict the weather when you go out for a drive.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by sonnymarton
I will be at 3000 pounds and over 500rwhp with my LS3 swap into my Z32 300zx so I will definitely need traction control. I am trying to look for an affordable option, I have only found really expensive setups. Does anyone have experience with a traction control setup on their Gen IV setup? Please post what you have.
So let me get this straight, you're building a car with 500 horse power, and you want to add something to it so it can cut your timing back so it doesn't make as much power? That makes about as much sense as marring a super model and getting her a breast reduction. Traction control was invented for the mass moron public that can't control a 100 hp Hyundai, so like MX6.0 said, spend the money you were going to spend on a TC system and have your suspension set up properly and it probably won't be as much of an issue as you think.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
So let me get this straight, you're building a car with 500 horse power, and you want to add something to it so it can cut your timing back so it doesn't make as much power? That makes about as much sense as marring a super model and getting her a breast reduction. Traction control was invented for the mass moron public that can't control a 100 hp Hyundai, so like MX6.0 said, spend the money you were going to spend on a TC system and have your suspension set up properly and it probably won't be as much of an issue as you think.

I am curious to know if you think the traction control on the new Stingray is a waste? They have shown for the most part, the car is faster with it on, than off.

Some people are building these swaps for daily drivers, and sometimes traction control is not a bad idea. A good rear suspension will aid with most of it like you said, but not everyone who builds a swap, is a top fuel dragster driver with reactions faster than a ninja.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 891 Posts

I believe the Holley Dominator ECU has some sort of traction control strategy.

Andrew
Old 03-03-2014, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Traction control has a place in performance driving. You simply can't feel at the seat of your pants what a computer can see on differences in wheel speed and accelerometers. 500hp is useless if it doesn't get to the road - at slow speeds, you will almost always be traction limited.

Now that said, the actual implementation and tuning of traction control has a huge impact on the usefulness in this (or any) application. For a production car where traction control is used as a safety feature, killing power for an extended period of time is perfectly acceptable, but not so if you're trying to maximize your ET. I do not know how exactly all the traction control features are integrated on the new 'vette or other performance cars, but if you plan to use the OEM flavor, you will probably need several control modules, speed sensors at each wheel, ABS, etc carried over to your 300Z
Old 03-03-2014, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For traction control you will need to setup either a 3 channel or 4 channel setup. That means 2 speed sensors on the front and 1 or two on the rear. The cars use 4 sensors and the trucks use 3. This is also typically tied into the antilock brakes. If you have both the systems then you need to wire it into the PCM. You may be able to eliminate the antilock brake portion to only control the motor but you cannot eliminate the sensors. If you don't have sensors or cannot figure a way to put them on you are done.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by rpturbo
I am curious to know if you think the traction control on the new Stingray is a waste? They have shown for the most part, the car is faster with it on, than off.

Some people are building these swaps for daily drivers, and sometimes traction control is not a bad idea. A good rear suspension will aid with most of it like you said, but not everyone who builds a swap, is a top fuel dragster driver with reactions faster than a ninja.
Your point is valid, but GM spends millions of dollars perfecting these systems, so the likleyhood of getting a retrofitted system to work as flawlessly as one on a new Vette is going to be tough at best. Also, sure there are people building daily drivers on here, but for the most part, they are not 500hp cars, and if you could get people to honestly answer the question of ''is it an actual daily driver'' on those cars, most peoples answer would be "I'll drive it a lot" but not actually in a true daily driver scenario.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My car is going to be close to the same HP to weight by mid-summer, and my plan is simply to seek out better tires. Of course everyone's impression of "better" is different, but is still a way cheaper and probably less frustrating approach than retrofitting TC. I would guess that good tires would get you 90 percent of the way to the goal you're envisioning with TC. It make take a couple sets - dedicated summer tires, and good all-seasons. Maybe winter tires if you're into playing in the snow.

Quick Reply: Has anyone used traction control on their Gen IV swap?