Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 swap

i bought a 2004 5.3 and 4le60 trans yesterday, has the whole harness, no ecu, or pedal or mass air, I've already ordered the pedal, been looking into getting a ecu, and mass air sensor and air box. I'm looking for advice....looking for companies to send my harness and ecu (once i get it) to get chopped up and tuned, and any other advice as to stuff i might need, and was wondering if i can use my transfer case...i have a np208 or if i could buy a adapter and use a stock one from a 2004 chevy? this is my first swap and trying to make it as painless as possible

i should mention that this is going into a 84 k10
Old 03-01-2014, 09:03 PM
Launching!

I understand that the front drive shaft is on the opposite side for the 04 truck from the NP208.

I think Novak has an adapter to go from the 4l60e to the NP208, not sure tho.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a truck mass air flow sensor if you still need one. PM me
Old 03-02-2014, 08:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can use the 208 case with the correct transmission adapter that can be found on ebay as long as the case uses 6 bolts to bolt to the adapter. You might even find one that's a 5 bolt if that's what the case has. You will also need a VSS. Dakota Digital has one that is 8 pulse and is pass through. Meaning it also has the speedometer cable connection. A 241 transfer case is a better case but they are harder to find with the passenger side drop. I hit the jackpot and found one on ebay for $75. I am gathering parts to put a 5.3/60E in an 85 K5 blazer so I have been researching all of this.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
You can use the 208 case with the correct transmission adapter that can be found on ebay as long as the case uses 6 bolts to bolt to the adapter. You might even find one that's a 5 bolt if that's what the case has. You will also need a VSS. Dakota Digital has one that is 8 pulse and is pass through. Meaning it also has the speedometer cable connection. A 241 transfer case is a better case but they are harder to find with the passenger side drop. I hit the jackpot and found one on ebay for $75. I am gathering parts to put a 5.3/60E in an 85 K5 blazer so I have been researching all of this.
can't i just use my speedo cable that goes to the transfer case?
Old 03-03-2014, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dman1982
can't i just use my speedo cable that goes to the transfer case?
The ECM needs to know the vehicle is moving or it will do strange things (like stall) randomly on deceleration.

A friend just did a K5 Blazer with an 2007 5.3 swap and it looks factory under the hood. The customer he did it for wanted to keep the original transmission so he needed to make a kick down for the drive by wire.

It was the first drive by wire vehicle I've been in that wasn't an electronic transmission or wasn't a manual transmission. Really strange, but the customer was happy.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:38 PM
TECH Junkie

dman,, you're also going to need a TAC module to go with the pedal. Did you get that with the motor? You HAVE to have the VSS or the transmission won't know when to shift. There are other problems associated with not running one, but that will be your main problem.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Default vss

dman,, you're also going to need a TAC module to go with the pedal. Did you get that with the motor? You HAVE to have the VSS or the transmission won't know when to shift. There are other problems associated with not running one, but that will be your main problem.
i bought a adapter from advanced adapters, and they sent me a 40 pulse vss with the kit, it goes between my trans and transfer case...i had to buy a pedal and tac and ecu...the guy i bought the motor from sold all these before i got there, but i did buy them all from a 2004 truck/van
Old 03-06-2014, 08:02 AM
Teching In

my biggest concern is the linkage and fuel delivery....ive been looking all over these forums and don't see a whole lot about it...im a dumb jarhead that just got out and 'aint smart yet" haha...i think I'm making these issues harder than they have to be
Old 03-06-2014, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Back to your harness, there are a few sponsors here that can mod
your harnees most also sell Ecm's and MAF's and also flash EMC's. PSI, BP and Spantect
are a few all with many happy costomers. I'm sure there are a few
more sponsors here that can do it also. I'll be ordering a harness,
EMC and MAF in a week or two. After reading posts here about the nightmares
of people using guys they found on CL or somewere, for peace of
mind I'm going with one of the sponsors here that has great feedback
from there costomers.( just my .02 )
Old 03-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nofun
your harnees most also sell Ecm's and MAF's and also flash EMC's. PSI, BP and Spantect
hey thanks, i already sent my harness off to a guy from another forum i go on, he's done a bunch of harness for the members over there, and I'm going to be sending my ecu off to lt1tech, I've heard a bunch of good stuff about them and quick turn around...i wouldn't use someone off CL to do such a thing lol even tho thats where i found my motor and tranny
Old 03-06-2014, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nofun
i also have a very similar pic of my son doing the same thing to my truck...classic
Old 03-07-2014, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dman1982
my biggest concern is the linkage and fuel delivery....ive been looking all over these forums and don't see a whole lot about it...im a dumb jarhead that just got out and 'aint smart yet" haha...i think I'm making these issues harder than they have to be
The fuel issue is easy. Get a gas tank for an 87 Truck as they were injected. Also get the gauge sending unit for injection and then pick out a good intank fuel pump from Summit. I have all the part numbers if you need them. That's the setup I have sitting in my garage right now, waiting on me to start the swap. You can use the vette filter/regulator setup if your fuel rail is a one line type.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Teching In

The fuel issue is easy. Get a gas tank for an 87 Truck as they were injected. Also get the gauge sending unit for injection and then pick out a good intank fuel pump from Summit. I have all the part numbers if you need them. That's the setup I have sitting in my garage right now, waiting on me to start the swap. You can use the vette filter/regulator setup if your fuel rail is a one line type.
i got the sending unit, i should have the filter tomorrow or so, now I'm confused on what use for the fittings...looking for ease of use and trying to be somewhat cost effective (i see that these an fittings are pretty expensive) but I'm pretty much a giant newbie to a lot of this stuff and trying to make it easy on myself...ive been looking for fuel delivery for dummies but don't think its out yet
Old 03-15-2014, 08:31 AM
Teching In

i ordered a fuel line repair kit from the tool warehouse and hoping to put the fuel lines in here after i get my axles done, and motor in, still waiting on my harness and pcm so i can do that

Quick Reply: 5.3 swap