for a late model ZR-1 (1994/1995)?

A friend said there are many lsx conversions and they are using
these transmissions for the conversions

Thanks for any input

David
Old 03-07-2014, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Read some discussion on them before, nothing bad was ever said about them. I think the only reason they were discontinued was factory switching to different vendor.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id like to know more about this myself. Or maybe even a NV4500.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Figure out a clutch/release combo that works with the ZF trans and rock it. T56's are common because all the homework is done

NV4500 was a heavy truck trans, with granny gearing. Good for a tow rig, not a performance application
Old 03-08-2014, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huummmm. the OP post looks suspiciously like a guy (first post) that has a pile of new ZFs for sale (aka spam) but perhaps I'm wrong. doesn't matter to me, but I do have some experience with the ZF, so I'll share what little I know.

I have a "blue tag" ZF 6 speed behind an L-98 in my 62 Corvette. The only reason I used the ZF was because it came in a wreaked donor car (90 Vette) I bought just for the engine. I had planned to use my existing T-10, but when I realized the ZF in the 90 was an almost brand new replacement trans, I decided what the heck and swapped it into my 62 also, along with the L-98. not an easy swap, but it turned out to be the best moves I ever made, as it's one of the best driving "toy" cars I've ever owned.
The ZF is a very strong trans on par with the T-56, and it's geared virtually identical in each gear as the T-56 as well, so there's certainly no ratio advantage to using the ZF when building an LSx project. the ZF is also a very fat trans, the bellhousing bolt pattern is SBC and the trans itself won't bolt to an LS bell. they shift like butter, and are strong, but god forbid if you ever do break one, as parts are quite expensive and it's a hard trans to work on, requiring many special tools. they also use a unique "mass energy" flywheel and special clutch. a "standard" flywheel/clutch assy is available, but also expensive.
Like I said, I used the ZF because I essentially got the thing for free, and I love it in my 62 with the L-98, but for an LS swap the T-56 makes a ton more sense.

59BelAir
Old 03-08-2014, 07:01 PM

I have one new ZF-6 transmission with a longer input
shaft (different than the standard ZF) and used with
conversions

I can take pictures and identify myself to anyone
interested.

The transmission was made specifically for the 1994 and
1995 corvette ZR-1's (only 448 made each year)

I can take pictures to identify the part #

This transmission is NOS that includes the longer input
shaft and shifter / boot (unavailable for all standard corvettes)

If I am violating rules, let me know

Thank you

David
Old 03-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Launching!

The ZF6 can be adapted to fit a LS engine, but AFAIK there is only one bell housing to do this. It is a Quicktime RM-6039
I am not sure if it needs the standard input shaft or not, but I will find out soon enough.

The ZF6 used a Dual-Mass flywheel, and that IIRC has has been discontinued for some time. Last I knew the flywheels were over 2k IF you could find a new one.
There are plenty of options for clutches unless you are unable to deal with the extra noise from not using the DMF.

Originally Posted by 59belair
Huummmm. the OP post looks suspiciously like a guy (first post) that has a pile of new ZFs for sale (aka spam) but perhaps I'm wrong. doesn't matter to me, but I do have some experience with the ZF, so I'll share what little I know.

I have a "blue tag" ZF 6 speed behind an L-98 in my 62 Corvette. The only reason I used the ZF was because it came in a wreaked donor car (90 Vette) I bought just for the engine. I had planned to use my existing T-10, but when I realized the ZF in the 90 was an almost brand new replacement trans, I decided what the heck and swapped it into my 62 also, along with the L-98. not an easy swap, but it turned out to be the best moves I ever made, as it's one of the best driving "toy" cars I've ever owned.
The ZF is a very strong trans on par with the T-56, and it's geared virtually identical in each gear as the T-56 as well, so there's certainly no ratio advantage to using the ZF when building an LSx project. the ZF is also a very fat trans, the bellhousing bolt pattern is SBC and the trans itself won't bolt to an LS bell. they shift like butter, and are strong, but god forbid if you ever do break one, as parts are quite expensive and it's a hard trans to work on, requiring many special tools. they also use a unique "mass energy" flywheel and special clutch. a "standard" flywheel/clutch assy is available, but also expensive.
Like I said, I used the ZF because I essentially got the thing for free, and I love it in my 62 with the L-98, but for an LS swap the T-56 makes a ton more sense.

59BelAir
One of the clutch options for a one piece sbc or lt1 is to use a clutch kit, and flywheel from a LT1 f-body. I read that the flywheel needs to be turned to be used here, but IDK.

Last edited by ChevyOwner; 03-08-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a ZF6 behind a 7.3 turbo diesel in my superduty. I'm guessing it's not the transmission being discussed here ;-)

Quick Reply: Question on ZF-6 transmission