Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have oil pan clearance issues... How many would like a custom pan?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have oil pan clearance issues... How many would like a custom pan?

So I have an Ly6 that came with the truck pan. I am swapping into a 4x4 Kia Sorento.
The truck pan was huge... There was no way it was going to fit. So i got a brand new Ls3 Corvette low clearance pan.
It is also to tall... the front diff and axle are just to high.
So after a lot of searching it "looks" like the best fit is a Ls2 pan. However they are crazy expensive. I also am only assuming it will fit. It seems good per measurements.
I am wondering how many people actually use the front sump pans or have to hack up pans?
I have access to a cnc plasma cutter and have lots of welding toys. I have cut mounts in pieces and then fully welded them for my swap. I could do the same for a pan from aluminum, stainless, steel whatever.
I would us a thick flange material and retain the bracing for the trans.
For the oil lines, the easiest would be a welded connection tube for AN fittings or NPT...

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What part of the pan isn't clearing? There are enough pan options out there that one of them is bound to work. The problem is they go up to about $400.

Lots of people modify F-body pans and truck pans. There are a couple of companies that modify F-body pans for additional clearance. most people hack 3 inches off of the bottom of the truck sump and weld a flat piece of aluminum across the bottom.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure where you are having issues, but if you are talking about a front sump LS2 pan, make sure you get one off a GTO and not a Vette. Vettes usually have a totally different, weird pan. The 2004-2006 GTO pan is the only front sump pan I know of.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HexenLord
What part of the pan isn't clearing? There are enough pan options out there that one of them is bound to work. The problem is they go up to about $400.

Lots of people modify F-body pans and truck pans. There are a couple of companies that modify F-body pans for additional clearance. most people hack 3 inches off of the bottom of the truck sump and weld a flat piece of aluminum across the bottom.
The center of the pan. A few inches in front of the oil drain. The pan that i am using is the shortest wet sump in the GM line. Except for the bat wing Corvette one. I didnt even bother with that... No way it would fit.

I looked at the Ls2 GTO pans because they are Suuuper short in the middle. I THINK that area would clear the diff/tube.

If i built a custom one it would be very shallow from the rear forward basically like the GTO pan but shorter in the rear, angled on the rear side of the drop and either wider at bottom or protrude forwards.
Working with cast aluminum isnt the most fun but i can plasma a steel prototype practically free.
Then fit it up.
I am curious as to what issues others have had and if there was a "dream pan"
Old 03-11-2014, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by superdave84
Not sure where you are having issues, but if you are talking about a front sump LS2 pan, make sure you get one off a GTO and not a Vette. Vettes usually have a totally different, weird pan. The 2004-2006 GTO pan is the only front sump pan I know of.

Yes the Ls2 GTO is the one i am considering. However. They are like 550$
I found one on here for a STEAL but am planning for the worst. Also looking at future. Maybe i can help another out too by making this...
Old 03-11-2014, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

Have you thought about a dry sump? I know its a bit more involved than wet sump but might still be a good option
Old 03-11-2014, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadRabbit
The center of the pan. A few inches in front of the oil drain. The pan that i am using is the shortest wet sump in the GM line. Except for the bat wing Corvette one. I didnt even bother with that... No way it would fit.

I looked at the Ls2 GTO pans because they are Suuuper short in the middle. I THINK that area would clear the diff/tube.

If i built a custom one it would be very shallow from the rear forward basically like the GTO pan but shorter in the rear, angled on the rear side of the drop and either wider at bottom or protrude forwards.
Working with cast aluminum isnt the most fun but i can plasma a steel prototype practically free.
Then fit it up.
I am curious as to what issues others have had and if there was a "dream pan"
Not 100% sure what areas of the pan you are talking. By center of the pan, do you mean the middle of the pan just in front of the rear sump? The GTO LS2 pan isn't really shallow by any means, but has a more shallow rear than the truck pans.

Have you looked through this thread?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-oil-pans.html
Old 03-11-2014, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you looked into the latest Holley Pan. They have revised it for more clearance.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by spacemanspif
Have you thought about a dry sump? I know its a bit more involved than wet sump but might still be a good option
Way above my price range... I did look at it, would be sweet. However, over 1,000$ is outside my scope. If I was building a BMW track beast or something similar I may spend the money but its more of a drive around and occasionally play with a Mustang or something like that lol.

Originally Posted by HexenLord
Not 100% sure what areas of the pan you are talking. By center of the pan, do you mean the middle of the pan just in front of the rear sump? The GTO LS2 pan isn't really shallow by any means, but has a more shallow rear than the truck pans.

Have you looked through this thread?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-oil-pans.html

Good thread!! I received similar info like that from the Improved Racing website (measurements). I knew i should have taken pictures of my issues. Basically I have room to move the engine forwards and backwards for the trans/tunnel clearance. The issue is the location of the steering rack and the axle/dif The rack sits right behind the diff and axle tube. This is at the very rear of the engine under the cylinders that are 2nd from the rear (#5 & #6). This hits most pans but the GTO looks like it would hump right over that area.

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
Have you looked into the latest Holley Pan. They have revised it for more clearance.
I checked it out... However its actually taller then my C6 pan.

Here is a transparency of my pan under the front sump pan. The O represents the axle contact area with the "engine" lowered to allow clearance for the axle and diff.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

modified truck pan on top. Should solve your clearance issues with something similar.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

Thats on the wrong side though...

If you look at my photo the entire rear of the pan has to be low. Right behind the axle is the steering rack. Its not as tall but the C6 pan is barley short enough to clear the rack. The truck pan is 8" deep on the rear side.

If that pan in your picture was turned around backwards (deep side in the front) I would be clear. I have no interference in the front area at all to deal with.
When i test fit the engine I had to take my oil filter off my C6 pan because it was interfering with the rack/diff areas. I would have needed to run remote filter with the C6 pan if i kept it. Thats how tight that area is. lol.
I will take some pics tomorrow. I will stuff the engine down there again and maybe even get some video.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Aknovaman modded front sump GTO pan, he has a build thread on here for his Jaguar.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-jaguar-2.html
Old 03-12-2014, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

^^^^ Winning like Charlie Sheen. Thats perfect!!

How many people use those pans? At the going rate its scary to cut up one of those pans. At 500$!

That's why i was looking into making one from scratch. I could probably sell a full custom made one for a couple hundred bucks...
Old 03-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

gto pans solve all problems lol
Old 03-12-2014, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brandonk
gto pans solve all problems lol
Except financial ones. More expensivr then a Hugh Hefner divorce settlement.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

They average $200.00 used on the classified here, or check the LS2GTO.com website classifieds.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the link... sorry for the late response

Quick Reply: I have oil pan clearance issues... How many would like a custom pan?