Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flipped forward manifolds and welding cast iron,techniques ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 11:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Flipped forward manifolds and welding cast iron,techniques ?

Which flipped forward and down LS manifolds fit without interference in 70 chevelle?
Cuz my truck manifolds hit frame on pass side and steering on driver side

How and what's the procedure on welding cast to mild? I only have flux mig and stick machines and wanna do it myself. So many have welded mild to cast without pre/post heat but i tried on some scraps and it's "tinging" and cracks.
Suggestions?

Last edited by LT1PWRD; 03-22-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1PWRD
Which flipped LS manifolds fit without interference in 70 chevelle?
Cuz my truck manifolds hit frame on pass side and steering on driver side
Are you flipping them facing up or down?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I flipped mine facing up and the left one hits the nut on the joint at the top of the intermediate shaft. I change the bolt. No problem now.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

Down and forward. Just wanted to see if anyone found an OE down and forward alternative. Do the modded mustang headers fit this way?
Old 03-20-2014, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

I have a pair of tbss manifolds for sale if interested
Old 03-20-2014, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone using LS4 manifolds? The ones on my GP look like they would fit nicely.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:29 AM
10 Second Club

I actually have an LS4 front manifold also,but it hits the frame on the pass side, too tall. Haven't seen what the TBSS ones look like, so I dunno.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

I'm doing the same thing on my car. Flipping the stock truck manifolds forward and up. The passengers side fits fine. But, the drivers side is hitting the steering arm ever so slightly. Not sure what to do about it yet, either see if I can grind a little bit off of the manifold or change the steering shaft. What would you guys recommend?
Old 03-21-2014, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

Do ls3 forward and down fit without hitting?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

I dont believe ANY of the factory manifolds fit down and forward without hitting,you may be able to do some very serious modifications to them and they might fit.I have an LS4 on the passenger side down and forward and a 6.0 manifold modified down and forward on the driver side and it fits pretty good but dont have any pics on my computer to show you,I also dont have factory steering anymore as i went to a front mount manual rack and pinion kit. my setup is being built for twins but not sure if i will run it like this as i have almost no room for the down pipe on driver side cause of steering column and master cylinder so i might put them up and forward to create some room.I did have to grind on the LS4 mani a bit to clear everything on passenger side also and its close to motor mount but it does fit.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CMQuickcoupe
I dont believe ANY of the factory manifolds fit down and forward without hitting,you may be able to do some very serious modifications to them and they might fit.I have an LS4 on the passenger side down and forward and a 6.0 manifold modified down and forward on the driver side and it fits pretty good but dont have any pics on my computer to show you,I also dont have factory steering anymore as i went to a front mount manual rack and pinion kit. my setup is being built for twins but not sure if i will run it like this as i have almost no room for the down pipe on driver side cause of steering column and master cylinder so i might put them up and forward to create some room.I did have to grind on the LS4 mani a bit to clear everything on passenger side also and its close to motor mount but it does fit.
I tried the ls4 the same way and it didnt seem any where near fitting. I thaught about cutting off the lower heat shield mount but it seemed like that wouldnt be enogh. What would i have to do to make it fit? what frame/engine mounts you run/year Chevelle? I have a 5.3 on driver side but it hit steering shaft so i cut it but now i have to weld it or figure something else out. I just wanted to run OE so i wouldnt have to customize this part of the build,especially with welding cast iron....
Old 03-21-2014, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

mines actually a 68 camaro,I figured a chevelle would have alittle more room than i have but maybe not,They actually weld up pretty easy,we just pre heated mine with a rose bud torch and welded it up with a mig and kept some heat on it alittle bit afterwards and no problems at all.i did have to grind off the heat sheild lugs to get it to fit and its close to my motor mount frame stand and frame but maybe im wrong and a chevelle doesnt have more room like i thought.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the flipped up truck manifolds on my car. It rubs the bolt on the joint closer to the firewall but I changed the nit and bolt to a smaller one and that fixed it. I also just used a mig welder to weld the pipes and flanges to the cast manifolds. Haven't had any cracking issues in the 2 1/2 years its been together.

Flipped forward manifolds and welding cast iron,techniques ?-dscn1267.jpg

Flipped forward manifolds and welding cast iron,techniques ?-dscn1268.jpg

Flipped forward manifolds and welding cast iron,techniques ?-dscn1266.jpg

Flipped forward manifolds and welding cast iron,techniques ?-dscn1265.jpg

Flipped forward manifolds and welding cast iron,techniques ?-dscn1262.jpg

Flipped forward manifolds and welding cast iron,techniques ?-dscn1271.jpg

Flipped forward manifolds and welding cast iron,techniques ?-dscn1272.jpg

Flipped forward manifolds and welding cast iron,techniques ?-dscn1280.jpg

Flipped forward manifolds and welding cast iron,techniques ?-dscn1284.jpg
Old 03-22-2014, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

cut them weld vband on it , looks alot nicer ,, loses some unwanted weight , easier clearing stuff . [IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

this is a camaro. but as you see, it wouldnt matter what it goes in .. i personally do not like the looks of the manifolds flip unside. down , i did it on my first build .. 70 chevelle . .ive also done log setup on 70 chevelle , i now stick with with them facing foward and down with 2" crossovers,, , like the looks alot more .. easier to get to spark plugs etc .. dont have to move coils underneath or make plug wires longer etc , burning plug wires ... next build im doing is 68 chevelle i just picked up.. im prob getting the shorty swap headers , flipping them forward and down.. lighter and $200 isn that bad still not 100% is they will clear the powersteering box. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-77-Chevelle-LS1-LS6-LSX-Stainless-Shorty-Chevrolet-Engine-Swap-Header-Pair-/161235489355?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item258a62524b&vxp=mtr

Last edited by chevellepowered; 03-22-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

This is how mine is done but for a twin setup and i have no room for a downpipe on driver side but if your running a single on passenger side you will be good to go.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
This is the flipped up truck manifolds on my car. It rubs the bolt on the joint closer to the firewall but I changed the nit and bolt to a smaller one and that fixed it. I also just used a mig welder to weld the pipes and flanges to the cast manifolds. Haven't had any cracking issues in the 2 1/2 years its been together.
Did you pre and post heat? if so,how and how long?
Old 03-22-2014, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chevellepowered
cut them weld vband on it , looks alot nicer ,, loses some unwanted weight , easier clearing stuff .

this is a camaro. but as you see, it wouldnt matter what it goes in .. i personally do not like the looks of the manifolds flip unside. down , i did it on my first build .. 70 chevelle . .ive also done log setup on 70 chevelle , i now stick with with them facing foward and down with 2" crossovers,, , like the looks alot more .. easier to get to spark plugs etc .. dont have to move coils underneath or make plug wires longer etc , burning plug wires ... next build im doing is 68 chevelle i just picked up.. im prob getting the shorty swap headers , flipping them forward and down.. lighter and $200 isn that bad still not 100% is they will clear the powersteering box.
Did you pre and post heat as well? if so,how and how long? I already cut mine almost exactly the same! What works better when welding cast,short and low temp or hot and fast feed wire? I personally dont like the up and forward look either. Def like the look for all reasons stated.^
I was lookin for some shorty headers like these but in mild steel so i could weld them myself,know of any?
Old 03-23-2014, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just turn my mig welder way up on heat , and focused more of the weld into the manifold .. reading somewhere they have quite abit of steel in the manifolds ..
Old 03-23-2014, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Thats weird, usually you cant weld cast iron like that...they must be made from a high grade steel to be able to weld cast with a MIG and not have cracking, especially with a turbo sittin on one end like that. Its good to know though
Old 03-24-2014, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

I used a driver side truck manifold facing down on my passenger side and another driver side truck manifold facing up on the driver side on my 69 Chevelle. . I canted the pipe that I welded to the pass side slightly to clear the frame.
The drivers side is where I put an extreme slash cut section of pipe to face almost straight forwarded.
I preheated the manifolds in front of a jet heater to 450 degrees before I hit them with a torch then welded them with a wire mig. After welding them I put them in front of the jet heater again for about 10 minutes before I let them cool. Then back in front of the heater again. These things weld surprisingly well.
I'd love to post pics but i haven't had any success at it.

Just wanted to add that so far I've retained the factory A/C which has made this build a MF.

Quick Reply: Flipped forward manifolds and welding cast iron,techniques ?