Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Temp Sensor Location

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant Temp Sensor Location

On the coolant sensor that's located on the left head at the front; can it be relocated to the opposite head at the back? I'm concerned that the flow isn't the same at that area thereby causing problems.

BTW, is this sensor just for the computer or is it also for gauges?
The following users liked this post:
gilberjm (08-31-2019)
Old 04-26-2014, 01:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 891 Posts

Originally Posted by 69-er
On the coolant sensor that's located on the left head at the front; can it be relocated to the opposite head at the back? I'm concerned that the flow isn't the same at that area thereby causing problems.

BTW, is this sensor just for the computer or is it also for gauges?
What problems do you think it is causing? All OEM LS applications have that sensor mounted in the front of the driver's side head.

Andrew
Old 04-26-2014, 03:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Cant imagine it would be dramatically different. I run my gauge off the block plug location and it reads the same as the ecu.
Btw, the 98 f body uses a 3 wire sender. 1 wire for ecu, 1 for the gauge. All others use a 2 wire where the sender feeds the ecu, then the ecu operates the gauge.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
What problems do you think it is causing? All OEM LS applications have that sensor mounted in the front of the driver's side head.

Andrew
I'm thinking of moving it as I'd like to run the power steering hoses in that area.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by garys 68
Cant imagine it would be dramatically different. I run my gauge off the block plug location and it reads the same as the ecu.
Btw, the 98 f body uses a 3 wire sender. 1 wire for ecu, 1 for the gauge. All others use a 2 wire where the sender feeds the ecu, then the ecu operates the gauge.
Thanks Gary!
Old 04-27-2014, 12:16 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I run mine in the back to clean up the wiring.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question while we are on this subject. Can I tap my 2 wire sending unit to run my digital temp gauge? It's an Itellitronics unit that came with a sending unit which I have hooked up but it reads different than my scanner, example, scanner reads 190* and gauge reads 140*. The sending unit is mounted in the lower left corner of the radiator. If I can tap the stock sending unit, which wire do I tap? Motor/ECU & harness are from an 04 Avalanche 5.3.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99MUSTANG5.3L
I have a question while we are on this subject. Can I tap my 2 wire sending unit to run my digital temp gauge? It's an Itellitronics unit that came with a sending unit which I have hooked up but it reads different than my scanner, example, scanner reads 190* and gauge reads 140*. The sending unit is mounted in the lower left corner of the radiator. If I can tap the stock sending unit, which wire do I tap? Motor/ECU & harness are from an 04 Avalanche 5.3.
I believe that the lower left is the cool side ( out from radiator ) so the temp should be different than engine temp. Well at least you know that your cooling system works, lol.Can't say to much about tapping the sensor wire tho
Old 04-27-2014, 11:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Probably not without screwing up the reading for the ecu. The sending units likely don't even work in the same resistance range.
You can get a 98 Camaro 3 wire unit and use the appropriate wire for the gauge. If it's in the wrong resistance range for the gauge, you can correct to some extent with a resistor.

Originally Posted by 99MUSTANG5.3L
Old 04-27-2014, 05:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks. Yes I am pleased with the way the system works, I just kind of wanted to read the temp in the motor like the scan tool does. I may try the 98 Camaro sender or a reducer to use the Intellitronix sender in the passenger side head.

Quick Reply: Coolant Temp Sensor Location