Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any good or bad reviews on Tanks Inc EFI tank?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any good or bad reviews on Tanks Inc EFI tank?

I've purchased 2 Rick's tanks in the past and I'm currently buying one for my 78 Impala. I've got nothing but good things to say about the Rick's tank. I just recently caved and bought a 73 Firebird that I'm going to do a budget LS swap on. So far a lot of my funding is going towards the Impala that's getting an LSA Crate. So, the Firebird is getting an LS, but a used one. I've heard a lot of problems with the Spectra Tank. Tanks Inc has a new EFI tank for $255 and I was wondering if anybody has used their EFI tank on their set up.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW Spectra has made some changes and I decided to go with them for my '69 Firebird. I will say that while the supplied fuel pump models an AC Delco unit, I decided to swap out the supplied one with a brand name one. Everyone has got a preference, but if you are going budget, Spectra might be the way to go. I assume the Tanks Inc one is $255 w/o the fuel pump and pickup?
Old 05-05-2014, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sprech
FWIW Spectra has made some changes and I decided to go with them for my '69 Firebird. I will say that while the supplied fuel pump models an AC Delco unit, I decided to swap out the supplied one with a brand name one. Everyone has got a preference, but if you are going budget, Spectra might be the way to go. I assume the Tanks Inc one is $255 w/o the fuel pump and pickup?
Yes, $255 without sender and fuel pump and pickup. So how does the revised Spectra tank work for you? Any fuel starvation issues?
Old 05-05-2014, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1975delta88
Yes, $255 without sender and fuel pump and pickup. So how does the revised Spectra tank work for you? Any fuel starvation issues?
Car is not up and running yet so I don't quite know.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tanks Inc is good stuff.

I have used many of their products with great success.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

I just bought a tanks inc tank for my 67 GS. Don't have the car running yet but the tank looks great and fast shipping. I ordered the tank along with pump and all the other stuff for the fuel system on a Sunday morning, and had it by Thursday. I have see a bunch of people on here running there tanks.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:40 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Tanks Inc does make good stuff. There is usually some work to be done with the 2 modules though. The sender will have to be shortened, sometimes cut to length. Its also a PITA to get the float on the sender. You have to put the sending unit in first, and then attach the float to it inside of the tank.

Other than that, everything goes on/in without a hitch.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

I used the spectra tank. It worked fine and fit fine. No fuel starvation issues that I noticed. I only drove it for a couple months before I tore the car down for a turbo build.
I've since abused the spectra sending unit for a dual walbro setup, which I'm basically going to toss to build my own hanger assembly.

Bottom line: if you're going to stay with a single pump, the spectra works great.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1967BuickGS400
I just bought a tanks inc tank for my 67 GS. Don't have the car running yet but the tank looks great and fast shipping. I ordered the tank along with pump and all the other stuff for the fuel system on a Sunday morning, and had it by Thursday. I have see a bunch of people on here running there tanks.
x2.. Just bought the set up for my '62 Bel Air swap. Nice looking tank, even powdercoated inside and out.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:10 AM
Staging Lane

bought a Tanks Inc for my project
not installed yet
looks really and high quality
buy from vendor on ebay
shipping will be free than.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Winmon
x2.. Just bought the set up for my '62 Bel Air swap. Nice looking tank, even powdercoated inside and out.
Just a side question, but is it safe for the inside of a gas tank to be powder coated? With todays ethanol blended gas can't the gas eat the paint and cause problems?
Old 05-06-2014, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rickyzZ28
Just a side question, but is it safe for the inside of a gas tank to be powder coated? With todays ethanol blended gas can't the gas eat the paint and cause problems?
I'm not certain, but I would expect powdercoating to hold up to almost anything, it isn't the same as paint.

I have the Tanks Inc FI tank in my '70 Chevelle. Pretty much looked exactly the same as the stock tank except this one has the provisions for an in tank fuel pump. I didn't look too much inside but there is a baffle and the car has yet to run out of fuel, even when accelerating hard with 1/4 tank. I had a little bit of trouble getting the fuel pump unit in and out of the tiny hole, but it was doable.

For the price I am very happy with it.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Tanks, tank in my 64Nova. Have about 9k miles on it in a years time. No problems, I love it. I currently have TBI 350 in but when the time comes to go LS, it will be a simple conversion. I plan to swap out the pump and run a Corvette regulator.

For the price it's a nice piece.

Tim
Old 05-06-2014, 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not certain, but I would expect powdercoating to hold up to almost anything, it isn't the same as paint.
Brake fluid laughs at this statement. And I'd leave the inside of the tank clean - no need to find out whether pc would gum up fuel pump/filter/injectors
Old 05-06-2014, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
Originally Posted by LSChevelle
Brake fluid laughs at this statement. And I'd leave the inside of the tank clean - no need to find out whether pc would gum up fuel pump/filter/injectors
I agree with hookemdevils22, I've witnessed brake fluid's powers over powder coat.

The only thing I've ever done to the inside of a tank was the Eastwood tank sealer. When all you have is an old tank, no one makes a reproduction and you don't have the means to build or have a custom tank built it's the only way to go. Otherwise I'll take new every time - especially with fuel injection.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input guys, looks like I'll be buying this for the 73 Firebird. After I added up all the numbers for all the parts that I need for this build, I realized I had to come back down to earth. I've got a used LQ4 now, but now I have to find a used intake manifold, fuel rails, harness, ecm and trans. I wanted to use all Hotchkis TVS II suspension set up, but it looks like it'll be all Summit Racing branded suspension components. I wanted Wilwood discs all around, but it looks like it'll be just Wilwood Calipers in the front and a budget rear disc conversion for the rear. I will also repurpose some parts I've got lying around from my other projects.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1975delta88
Thanks for the input guys, looks like I'll be buying this for the 73 Firebird. After I added up all the numbers for all the parts that I need for this build, I realized I had to come back down to earth. I've got a used LQ4 now, but now I have to find a used intake manifold, fuel rails, harness, ecm and trans. I wanted to use all Hotchkis TVS II suspension set up, but it looks like it'll be all Summit Racing branded suspension components. I wanted Wilwood discs all around, but it looks like it'll be just Wilwood Calipers in the front and a budget rear disc conversion for the rear. I will also repurpose some parts I've got lying around from my other projects.
Do what you have to do to get it on the road! That was my motto haha.

Also, I know you don't want to hear it right now.. but I added and readded everything for my build up 50 times and I still managed to spend 1.5x the budget.

Thanks for the heads up on brake fluid and powder coating!
Old 05-06-2014, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Been looking into buying one of these tanks for my el camino to replace the sump I just installed, I've read nothing but good things about them.

Side note, look into an fbody 4th gen brake swap. It's a Big Bang for the buck for 4 wheel disk. Easy to do too.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSChevelle
Do what you have to do to get it on the road! That was my motto haha.

Also, I know you don't want to hear it right now.. but I added and readded everything for my build up 50 times and I still managed to spend 1.5x the budget.

Thanks for the heads up on brake fluid and powder coating!
Knowing me, I'll end up changing several things after it's complete. But I must resist the urge to do that because I've got 3 simultaneous projects. Well 4 really, but the El Camino is not getting any more new parts until I finish wiring up the American Autowire.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:48 AM
TECH Resident

On the topic of ethanol corrosion, I am building my own pump hanger plate and was wondering if bare steel and ethanol were a bad combination or aluminum would be a better choice?
I'm not sure I can find stainless in the right size for this.
Or is there some coating or playing I can do to it?

Quick Reply: Any good or bad reviews on Tanks Inc EFI tank?