Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Easiest/cheapest swap platform?
GM A-body
85.71%
GM X-body
14.29%
Other 60's/70's era muscle
0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

A-body vs X-body, which is the easier/cheaper swap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 06:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A-body vs X-body, which is the easier/cheaper swap?

So I've decided to give an LS swap a try. I love the 6.0 in my wife's '03 Escalade and used to have a 70's pickup that I thought could use fuel injection so I first started thinking about an LS swap into that old truck, but now that I have a family, a usable back seat for the kiddo is a must for my project.

I am at the point of trying to find the right car to swap into. I am leaning towards these two late 60's/early 70's platforms, though I am open to other suggestions from this era if there is an easier/cheaper route to go.

I am hoping to find a driver so that I can work on sourcing the engine/tranny and hop-up parts for the engine (cam, heads, intake and put this all together in the garage) as well as the items needed for the swap (motor mounts, cross member, wiring harness, aftermarket LS compatible gauge cluster, fuel delivery pieces, drive shaft, etc.) While still being able to use the car up to the point of the swap. I know my limitations, so ultimately I will have the swap install and tune done by a shop.

Recommendations for Denver or Colorado Springs LS swap shops is also appreciated.

Thanks all.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Really it will all come down to the price of the car you intend to do. The swap costs will be pretty much equal since most of the same parts will be required. My guess is that a 68-72 Nova or Pontiac Ventura or later Buick/Olds will be less expensive initially. What body style do you like most?
Be sure to check the stickys for build threads. Do your research and pay attention to parts compatibility. Ask lots of questions, the group here is quite knowledgeable and willing to help.
Welcome aboard and most of all have fun in the process.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Although I've never done one, I would think the A body would be a little easier due to more engine room and the front steer suspension. I'm pretty sure the factory A/C (if you get a car with it) will clear a little more easily too, not to mention more room inside. X body I have done and they are pretty tight in the engine bay and the back seat isn't comfortable for very long periods of time either.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have done both. Pretty much the same as far as cost and installation. I voted A Body as you noted, just be cause of the roomto work around with.. The trans cross member was an easier to do on my Chevelle as compared to what I ended up with my Nova... But that was me being different and not being just satisfied with how thing came out forme personally.

you should add a option for able the same LOL...

BC
Old 06-20-2014, 02:24 PM
Teching In

I have done the x body (73) which is my personal car, and currently doing a 65 a body. My vote is for the X body. My choice for x body only if using the holley LS swap parts. I can honestly say the holley parts fit with absolutely no mods, hammering, beating, drilling, or massaging into place. The quality is excellent! Trying to find the right combo for the a body has taken alot of research, I know there are a thousand ways to do it, just have not chosen a route yet.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When we were mocking up a 66 chevelle it seemed easier to me.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Default related follow up question

Are there significant differences, in terms of LS swaps, of a 65/66ish A-body vs a 70/71ish A-body?
Old 05-09-2015, 10:22 PM
Teching In

I just finished my 71 Ventura swap with a carb. It was all straight forward and pretty easy ! Best money Ive ever spent on a car !!!!! Love it !
Old 05-09-2015, 10:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished a swap on my 66 chevelle. With motor mount adapters the engine dropped in with plenty of room, even fit a 4L80 with slight hammering of the trans tunnel
Old 05-10-2015, 01:23 AM
On The Tree

Duh. A body of course!

I've done a couple videos on the stuff that generally gives the a-body folks the most trouble. At least for the path I choose. There is also a thread over on Team Chevelle I started on oil pan fitment. Its worth a look for some specifics on what folks have used. Always nice to have some confirmation of fitment before you spend the money.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717386

Quick Reply: A-body vs X-body, which is the easier/cheaper swap?