Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM A body LSX swapped with factory air box

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GM A body LSX swapped with factory air box

Most of the Chevelle and GTO lsx swaps I see are deleting the AC box off the firewall or are factory heat only cars. What about you guys that are keeping the AC box on the firewall?

How are you fitting your LSX engine in the engine bay? 1 inch forward plates? Indenting the box using heat?

Trying to decide what I should do.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am using the Factory suit case.. I have my engine sitting pretty far rearward also.

The header does come very close to the box. I cut a 3" x 3" lower corner out, flipped it inside out and glassed it back together. By doing this it gave +1/2" more clearance and enough room inside the box for the internals. Pretty much indenting it as you questioned.

BC
Old 06-26-2014, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used the Dougs plates and Energy Suspension mount pads. I have plenty of room around the AC box. I did upgrade to a POA eliminator, much larger parallel flow condensor and custom hoses on the pressure side. All in all after I finally got a working compressor everything is working according to plan.
Since the picture was taken I have changed the connector and wiring to the POA eliminator (green wire and connector). This also shows the first attempt pressure hose.
Attached Thumbnails GM A body LSX swapped with factory air box-new-underhood-3.jpg  
Old 06-26-2014, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

That looks nice and clean. I just have some eBay plates that allow 1 inch back, stock location, or 1 inch forward. I just got some short wide frame mounts from summit. No motor mounts yet. I need to add a 1\4 inch plate under the frame mounts to raise it also I guess. To account for the tie rod zerks.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Where mine is mounted the box fits fine, just have to take half off to mess with some things in that area of the engine bay sometimes.

I put my pcm inside it though, not using a/c
Old 06-27-2014, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess a lot will depend on the pan you use for fore aft placement. In any event you should still have plenty of room for the AC box. In my opinion the only issue will be getting to the bell housing bolts on that side. If you go the mid position with the adapters you can get them all from the bottom.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would also add that it will be tight going on changing plugs on the back two plugs on the Right side (#6 and #8) if the Factory Box is utilized. I end up going from the bottom to get to those two plugs.

I also glue a sheet of installation to the box as I stated before, my Headers are very close.

BC
Old 06-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

You guys are a great help. Thanks.

Im trying to get all my ducks in a row before I pull my poncho engine out. I'd like to get this as close to right the first time if possible. I'd like it even more if I do not have the tie rods hitting or have to cut my drive shaft! I will eventually run the AC so thats why I was concerned with that. That will be another project after the LSX is in a running. Im not doing any engine mods until that sucker is in and running good. I don't want to present unnecessary problems to start with.

This will be a 5.3/4l60 swap using the F body pan, truck accessories, F body manifolds, truck intake manifold. I have already worked out my 5.3 harness.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

Oldgoat69, I have a question about your AC setup. I was mocking up my plate, motor mounts and frame pads to the engine last night on the engine stand. I noticed my motor mount covers up one of the holes in the block that was used for the Truck AC bracket. So my question is, what compressor & bracket are you running and did you notch the frame so you could use a low mounted compressor?

Thanks, John
Old 06-28-2014, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

For you A body guys that are on facebook check out this page I recently started for A body guys with LSX swaps. Love you have you guys on there.

If this is not allowed here mods please delete this post.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6463.../?notif_t=like

Quick Reply: GM A body LSX swapped with factory air box