Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jlcustomz, If you are looking for just 3" tailpipes you might want to check with Torque Tech in Valdosta, Ga. I bought a set of 3" mandrel bent tailpipes from them for my 87 Buick T-Type but I don't have them installed because of the jerking around that Hedman is giving me on the problem I am having with the BRP designed headers that are manufactured by Hedman. They have had my right side header since JULY 7th. I repeat JULY 7th. Torque Tech might have what you need but not in Stainless Steel. Rich
Old 12-21-2014, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Rich, will keep that as an option. May just get a few take off truck factory tail pipes & cut into what I need, since I have my custom wrap around / tuck up & turn into 4 c-7 vette looking tailpipes to connect back into.

I've heard several too many complaints on brp/headman headers to recommend them to anyone. Had a set of hooker super comps years ago for a factory v-8 chevy Monza that turned spark plug changing from a pain with the factory manifolds into easy with headers, so Hooker gets my header fitment vote.

Recommended a couple more people this weekend look into the hooker g-body system. Bout damn time someone has a complete setup. For someone with good skills, doing a swap cheaper with more labor still may not be be too bad of a thing to do, but for everybody else, a little less confusion is in order.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Default Hooker G-body application listing

I figured I post this attachment for guys to help you fully understand what is available to you from Hooker for swapping an LS into a G-body. This document brings into full view the amount of options you have.

On a side note, the crossmembers began shipping last week, so those that have ordered them will receive them shortly. The 1-3/4" long tubes are making it onto the shelf now.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
201412220954.pdf (897.2 KB, 1155 views)
Old 12-22-2014, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Thanks very much for posting that link Toddoky. Its good to see all of the available parts on one document, and it does help to fill in the blanks.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by clean8485
Thanks very much for posting that link Toddoky. Its good to see all of the available parts on one document, and it does help to fill in the blanks.
No problem, I'm glad it helps paint a clearer picture.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Toddoky - does Holley sell a Corvette crank pulley?

I saw the PS pulley and tensioner assembly on the site but no Corvette crank pulley. Do you have a GM part number from the one you used with this build or are there any plans for Holley to sell one to make it complete?

Ive got a truck 6.0L with a truck pulley so I will certainly have to change it in order to make everything line up Corvette style like your install.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I figured I post this attachment for guys to help you fully understand what is available to you from Hooker for swapping an LS into a G-body. This document brings into full view the amount of options you have.

On a side note, the crossmembers began shipping last week, so those that have ordered them will receive them shortly. The 1-3/4" long tubes are making it onto the shelf now.
Well this will greatly simplify my next swap; thanks!
Old 12-25-2014, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HOTSIX
Toddoky - does Holley sell a Corvette crank pulley?

I saw the PS pulley and tensioner assembly on the site but no Corvette crank pulley. Do you have a GM part number from the one you used with this build or are there any plans for Holley to sell one to make it complete?

Ive got a truck 6.0L with a truck pulley so I will certainly have to change it in order to make everything line up Corvette style like your install.
We do not sell crank pulleys as of this moment, so you'll have to find another source for that part. Glad to hear you've got a game plan worked out.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Ok thx...I'll figure that part out.

Just ordered the mounts, X-Member and accessory drive set complete with alt, and PS pump/pulley and bracket! Jacked to get these parts and get rolling on my swap!

This stuff is currently on sale at Summit so I saved $120 total.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Alrighty! Ordered up the 302-2 pan, engine mounts, trans crossmember and associated brackets for the 4L80e today...VERY good deals on this stuff currently. Will be ordering the 1 7/8" longtubes in a couple weeks since I am officially broke from the holidays...got a bonus check coming then as well!

I'll post up pics as the parts arrive!!!
Old 12-30-2014, 02:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BanditDave
Alrighty! Ordered up the 302-2 pan, engine mounts, trans crossmember and associated brackets for the 4L80e today...VERY good deals on this stuff currently. Will be ordering the 1 7/8" longtubes in a couple weeks since I am officially broke from the holidays...got a bonus check coming then as well!

I'll post up pics as the parts arrive!!!
Couldn't wait...ordered the 1 7/8" headers today! Couldn't pass up he deal!!!

Name:  image_zps8dbcc04d.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  43.2 KB

Last edited by BanditDave; 12-30-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Toddoky, any word on the 302-2 pans and the stainless 1 7/8" long tubes? Summit told me pan was on back order and no update on the long tubes for a while.

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2015, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Toddoky, any word on the 302-2 pans and the stainless 1 7/8" long tubes? Summit told me pan was on back order and no update on the long tubes for a while.

Thanks!
I'll look into it in the morning and see if I can find out anything for you regarding dates.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Thanks!
I was also curious about a timeline for the 1 7/8" stainless headers, as summit just keeps asking for confirmation if I'd like to keep my order placed. well duh lol
Old 01-05-2015, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Relative to the location of the stock engine, where is the LS engine placed using the 12643HKR mounts? I ask because I have exhaust & driveshaft for 1" setback configuration & would prefer to keep that.
Thanks
Old 01-05-2015, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by samckitt
Relative to the location of the stock engine, where is the LS engine placed using the 12643HKR mounts? I ask because I have exhaust & driveshaft for 1" setback configuration & would prefer to keep that.
Thanks
My best guess on the forward relocation of the transmission/engine mating surface would be 1/4" to 3/8". We used the engine mounting brackets to swap LS engine/TH350 combos into two A-body wagons during the engine swap challenge at last year's LS Fest and we reused the stock crossmembers and driveshafts with them both. That's not to say that the yoke protrusion into the trans tailshafts was ideal, as it was not checked too closely at the time due to the temporary nature of the assemblies.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I'll look into it in the morning and see if I can find out anything for you regarding dates.
Sorry for being a PITA, but any luck on this? Able to get a ship date on the oil pan from Summit but afraid they may not stick (January 16th ship). No info on Header Shipment though (but they did take my money which usually means things shipped according to them )

I have 4 boxes coming from UPS today...all related to this stuff. Hoping they sent the headers in there and just didn't tell me.

Dave
Old 01-07-2015, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Looking forward to photos of the parts when they arrive.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Teching In

I ordered my headers on November 21 and the exhaust on December 18. Still no word on when they may arrive . I have received my oil pan, mounts, and crossmember .
Old 01-07-2015, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by clean8485
Looking forward to photos of the parts when they arrive.
Absolutely, I'll be updating this thread and my Cutlass thread. Probably in the Gbody Swap thread as well.

Originally Posted by 86slicksilverss
I ordered my headers on November 21 and the exhaust on December 18. Still no word on when they may arrive . I have received my oil pan, mounts, and crossmember .
I hear ya man...bummed out as it sounded like they are ready to go from this thread. Hoping Todd will be able to shed some light. I need the oil pan worse than the headers at this point so when I pull the engine and replace it, I can stab it back in. Its 8 degrees out now so I am not in a huge rush...just annoyed they took my money with no delivery date mentioned.

Dave

Quick Reply: New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview