Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just been through this thread, and found it to be quite informative. I like the idea of having a complete, integrated series of parts, so that the entire swap can be done with a minmum of fuss.
The only thing that I found that you didn't go into much, was the electronics side of this conversion. Did you use a stock controller for the engine and transmission? Was there a custom wiring harness involved? Are there details on this aspect of the conversion in another area of this site, and I just missed that?
I enjoyed the photos and videos that are posted here. It looks like the engine runs very smoothly, it sounds great, and the installation looks very clean and well thought out.
Please keep the updates coming. Looking forward to the videos with the smoky burnouts.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by clean8485
I've just been through this thread, and found it to be quite informative. I like the idea of having a complete, integrated series of parts, so that the entire swap can be done with a minmum of fuss.
The only thing that I found that you didn't go into much, was the electronics side of this conversion. Did you use a stock controller for the engine and transmission? Was there a custom wiring harness involved? Are there details on this aspect of the conversion in another area of this site, and I just missed that?
I enjoyed the photos and videos that are posted here. It looks like the engine runs very smoothly, it sounds great, and the installation looks very clean and well thought out.
Please keep the updates coming. Looking forward to the videos with the smoky burnouts.
Thanks for reading through the thread, I hope the information will be helpful to you. I don't normally include detailed information about the non-Hooker branded Holley components, with the exception of the oil pans, as they are supported by other individuals under Holley's roof and we produce so many LS products that I would have a full-time job posting about all of them here. We did use the Holley Dominator EFI system on this project and a Holley wiring harness to get everything wired up. If you want more specific details regarding that aspect of our Monte project, let me know and I'll get someone at Holley to post a response.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Default Hooker G-body "tire test"

For those who enjoy displays of blatant tire abuse in a G-body, this example of such behavior comes to you by the way of Holley's CEO. No animals were harmed in the filming of this video.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Thanks very much for your quick response to my post. A more detailed idea of the electronic aspect of this swap would be greatly appreciated. If that's not convenient, even an idea of where to look to find more info would be helpful. Are the electrical parts listed on the Holley site?
I'm quite comfortable with the mechanical side of jobs like this, but not quite so comfortable with the electrical side.
As I looked through the thread, I got the impression that you and the folks at Hooker and Holley have gone to great lengths to create an integrated group of parts, that are all designed and manufactured to work together, to allow this swap to be performed fairly easily. It just seems natural to me that there should be a similiar group of parts available, to allow the electrical part of this swap to be performed with the same ease.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Using the Holley Dominator or HP EFI seems like a no brainer. Many people complain about the cost but if you look at everything they are capable of the cost difference of adapting a stock harness and computer starts to shrink. The self tuning feature is a huge plus that could save you a lot of money on retunes if your car is like most and is constantly evolving after the initial swap is completed. If your car is going to have a manual transmission and just be a basic NA street car the HP EFI system would probably fit your needs, but if you're going to use a 4L60e or 80e, or a building a n2o or FI car them the added features of the Dominator efi make it the better choice.

One more thing you may want to look into joining #TeamTick so you can shop at TickWholesale.com I've looked at their prices vs Summit and you can save ~$100 on the Dominator controler alone. I think it cost ~$60 to join unless you're current or former member of US military, a current Police, Fire or EMS worker, or a past customer of Tick Performance who has spent $1,000.00 or more prior to the launch of #TeamTick.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks very much for your quick response to my post. A more detailed idea of the electronic aspect of this swap would be greatly appreciated. If that's not convenient, even an idea of where to look to find more info would be helpful. Are the electrical parts listed on the Holley site?
I'm quite comfortable with the mechanical side of jobs like this, but not quite so comfortable with the electrical side.
As I looked through the thread, I got the impression that you and the folks at Hooker and Holley have gone to great lengths to create an integrated group of parts, that are all designed and manufactured to work together, to allow this swap to be performed fairly easily. It just seems natural to me that there should be a similiar group of parts available, to allow the electrical part of this swap to be performed with the same ease.
Thanks again for your help.
There are quite a few guys on the Holley Tech Service team who possess in-depth knowledge of the Holley EFI systems and that would be happy to answer any technical questions you have about them before or after you decide to make a purchase.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Awww yissss....

That exhaust sounds great! Poor tires. Haha.

I think I will be replacing my mounts with the Holley System this week.

Sorry for my confusion, but are the 4L80e crossmembers available at this time?
Old 12-19-2014, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BanditDave
Awww yissss....

That exhaust sounds great! Poor tires. Haha.

I think I will be replacing my mounts with the Holley System this week.

Sorry for my confusion, but are the 4L80e crossmembers available at this time?
I'm really glad to hear that BanditDave. Remember when searching for a place to purchase the parts that all these swap parts are actually Hooker branded products with the exception of the oil pan, not Holley.

I received an update from our facility yesterday stating that the crossmembers (part number 12644HKR) were in the process of being boxed up. The cantilevered 4L80 adapter bracket you need is part number 12656HKR and the frame extension kit for cars that did not come from the factory with a 2004R is part number 12647HKR...both of those are on the shelf already.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Doing a smoky burnout video is a lowdown & dirty sales pitch method of selling parts.
Just Kiddin;;; results speak.
Recently recommended a few people on other forums doing ls g-body swaps to look into this system, rather than brp mounts mixed with hoe hoe brand headers or whatever. I did my swap the hard way 12 years ago. Nothing wrong with bolting together something that someone smarter than you developed.
Guess I'm still old fashioned , hard headed, & dumb, now starting to make my own g-body tri-y headers from recycled Kooks Nascar headers. I may be smart enough to look into the Holley 3" tailpipes for el camino use, if they're available by themselves???
Old 12-19-2014, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jlcustomz
Doing a smoky burnout video is a lowdown & dirty sales pitch method of selling parts.
Just Kiddin;;; results speak.
Recently recommended a few people on other forums doing ls g-body swaps to look into this system, rather than brp mounts mixed with hoe hoe brand headers or whatever. I did my swap the hard way 12 years ago. Nothing wrong with bolting together something that someone smarter than you developed.
Guess I'm still old fashioned , hard headed, & dumb, now starting to make my own g-body tri-y headers from recycled Kooks Nascar headers. I may be smart enough to look into the Holley 3" tailpipes for el camino use, if they're available by themselves???
Uh oh, you've really bruised my engineer's ego by referring to me as a salesman, but I shall recover and gladly accept credit for sales that come Holley's way by means of my exchange of information here . All kidding aside, your observations mean a lot to those of us here who've invested so much effort and expense to bring this system of parts to the market. We are pleased that you can distinguish the difference between our methodology and everything else that's been available to this point and are grateful for your efforts to help spread the word about our products.

There are no plans at this point to sell the tailpipes as stand-alone items, but we will be seeing an El Camino in here soon to develop a 2.5" and 3" exhaust system specific to its longer chassis.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Thanks for posting the burnout video Toddoky. It looks pretty impressive. So that's what can happen with an LQ4 and 4L80E that has 125,000 miles on it? As I said, it looks pretty impressive.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for posting the burnout video Toddoky. It looks pretty impressive. So that's what can happen with an LQ4 and 4L80E that has 125,000 miles on it? As I said, it looks pretty impressive.
It's an LQ9/4L80 combo with 125K miles on both...yes, I still get impressed with the results you can get dropping a used bone-stock LS/Vortec truck engine into a worthy car. I can't see myself ever doing another project involving the use of a SB or BB Chevy.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:30 AM
Teching In

I live in an area where I would have to maintain emission legality on my vehicles. If I were to do this type of swap, I'd have to install catalytic converters in the exhaust system. In order to do this, it looks like I'd need to either get a mid length header, or go with an exhaust manifold, in order to position the cats in a normal stock type location. Are there provisions for the installation of cats in the Hooker system, or is this something that would be up to the individual vehicle owner to look after?
Any photos available of the mid length headers yet? Thanks very much.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:51 AM
TECH Junkie

I live in an area where I would have to maintain emission legality on my vehicles. If I were to do this type of swap, I'd have to install catalytic converters in the exhaust system. In order to do this, it looks like I'd need to either get a mid length header, or go with an exhaust manifold, in order to position the cats in a normal stock type location. Are there provisions for the installation of cats in the Hooker system, or is this something that would be up to the individual vehicle owner to look after?
Any photos available of the mid length headers yet? Thanks very much.
I understand your situation completely. In order for you to put together a set-up that will meet the pollution controlled vehicle emissions requirements of California, or any state that has adopted those requirements, you will have to carry over the cats AND the manifolds from the donor vehicle. The only headers you'll be able to use will be those that have received a CARB EO exemption for the donor vehicle application.

By the details of the law, you will also be limited in your selection of a donor engine that you can legally install in your car, as you cannot transplant an engine certified by an OEM for truck applications into a car or vice versa.
This means you cannot legally swap any of the Vortec truck variants into your G-body and must use one of the LS1, 2, 3, 6, 7, or 9 variants and the entire emissions system that came from the donor vehicle to be legal.

We have created all adapters needed to allow you to install the Hooker cast iron manifolds or new mid-length headers into a G-body and connect either of them to the Hooker exhaust systems, but they are also intended for competition use only as they do not meet the requirements for legal installation/use a on pollution controlled motor vehicle.

Yes, I do have photos of the mid-length headers and will post them for you on Monday morning when I get in to the office.

Last edited by Toddoky; 12-20-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you live in California the laws have gotten so strict you really only have 2 options. Buy a E-Rod motor/kit from GMPP or move out of the Republic of California and back to the USA.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Fry_
If you live in California the laws have gotten so strict you really only have 2 options. Buy a E-Rod motor/kit from GMPP or move out of the Republic of California and back to the USA.
I was going to suggest the E-rod as well, but when I check the GM website this morning to confirm the scope of it's legal status I noticed a disclaimer stating it was intended for 1976 and earlier cars.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wonder if thats something new. Last I knew it had a CARB EO# that made it legal for use in any 95 or older car or light truck.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Fry_
I wonder if thats something new. Last I knew it had a CARB EO# that made it legal for use in any 95 or older car or light truck.
I was under the same impression and was surprised to see that note. I'm going to dig a little deeper into that little mystery next week.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:57 AM
Teching In

In my case, my concerns aren't based on California regulations, or regulations in any other state for that matter. I live in southern Ontario in Canada, not far from Toronto. Here, you could swap an engine from a truck into a car. The thing is, that you have to have the correct emission control equipment present for either the vehicle, or the engine, whichever is newer. I have a friend who has an '88 Monte SS with a newer Corvette LS engine in it, and he has the correct emission controls for the newer Corvette engine, and has passed our mandatory emission test on several occasions, both on the visual inspection, and on the tailpipe test. The Corvette engine actually has fewer emission controls on it (no EGR or A.I.R. pump), than the original 305HO small block that came in the car. Here in Ontario, if you're stopped for a roadside inspection, your car needs to pass a visual for the necessary emission controls. You can be liable for a fine of up to $365.00 per item of emission controls that's missing.
That's why I'm asking about provisions for installing cats in the Hooker exhaust system.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking at the exhaust layout on page 10,it looks like there would be sufficient space between the heads & the first bends in the pipes to cut out a section & slip in aftermarket high flow cats. Modern high flow cats are pretty small, low restriction & don't take up much space, especially compared to the boat anchor pellet cats that came on g-bodys.

So the main question you'd need to find out from your area is if aftermarket cats are ok & also if headers are ok. Hooker headers should be , since you won't need the air attachment.

Quick Reply: New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview