Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyg
What did u put in for a trans? Also what is the rear gear ratio? My bet is on rear end going before trans if u went with 4l80 that is.
It is the 4L80 that came as part of the LS9 take-out package we purchased for the project...both have 125K miles on them and the trans pan exhibited quite a load of clutch plate material in it when we serviced the trans.

The rear end is a upgraded 12-bolt unit with a 4:10 gear set, so my vote is for the trans going south first.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steve40
Any word on the stainless long tubes? I have a set ordered and I'm itching to install a set!
X2 on the stainless long tubes. Ordered and (im)patiently waiting.

Also, any word on the trans crossmembers? I've got one of those
ordered as well.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dave_62
X2 on the stainless long tubes. Ordered and (im)patiently waiting.

Also, any word on the trans crossmembers? I've got one of those
ordered as well.
I don't have much to do with the on-the-shelf timeline of these components once I finish up the development phase and hand them over to manufacturing, but I'll send out a couple of emails and see if I can get some updates for you guys.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I don't have much to do with the on-the-shelf timeline of these components once I finish up the development phase and hand them over to manufacturing, but I'll send out a couple of emails and see if I can get some updates for you guys.
Unfortunately, my buddy placed the order around the 1st of December for the cross member and the headers but with no ship date in sight. The shipping date has moved three times so far from Summit racing so not really sure what is going on.

Fortunately for him, he is still not ready for them since he has just been stock piling parts. So I feel for you guys that actually need them at this time, lol.

Hope that they get shipped out soon!
Old 12-11-2014, 06:58 PM
TECH Junkie

I've not heard anything back on the stainless headers yet, but I was informed that the first production batch of crossmembers was received at our facility yesterday from our supplier, which means they can be shipped out as soon as they can get them boxed up.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've not heard anything back on the stainless headers yet, but I was informed that the first production batch of crossmembers was received at our facility yesterday from our supplier, which means they can be shipped out as soon as they can get them boxed up.

Sounds good to me. Sad thing is he probably will be on the road when mine will be and i have had mine in the lsx swap for almost 2 years. Lol. Kid gets a credit card and works his butt off and spoils himself by buying top notch parts, lol.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
Unfortunately, my buddy placed the order around the 1st of December for the cross member and the headers but with no ship date in sight. The shipping date has moved three times so far from Summit racing so not really sure what is going on.

Fortunately for him, he is still not ready for them since he has just been stock piling parts. So I feel for you guys that actually need them at this time, lol.

Hope that they get shipped out soon!
I hear you. Distributors set there own schedules for how and when they choose to list products they sell, which sometimes has no connection as to when they will actually be available from the manufacturer. I always title these types of threads as a "product preview" as the projects are usually not far enough along to be able to give any reliable product release dates at the initial time of posting. All I can do when guys here ask is give them my best guess based on my previous experience with these types of products and the amount of work that has to take place in order to see them come to life as actual parts. The guess usually gets within 15-45 days of the actual on-the-shelf date and some actually get released before the estimated date. This project was fairly large in scope as the number of products being released for this swap totaled 28.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do u have to use corvette ps pump with holley front drive? Or will another type 2 pump fit bracket maybe one with a .750 shaft? I found a 5 in pulley dorman 300-202 it's from a Buick Lucerne im just trying to use front drive with vvt in my cutlass . I bought the pass side r4 Ac bracket and the spacers, the camaro wp, r4 compresser and all the tensioners etc. dirty dingo relocation for idler and using truck bracket for pass side it just I don't really like the alt location .the holley set up just looks better so still trying to fig out ps/ steering box interference
Old 12-12-2014, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Do u have to use corvette ps pump with holley front drive? Or will another type 2 pump fit bracket maybe one with a .750 shaft? I found a 5 in pulley dorman 300-202 it's from a Buick Lucerne im just trying to use front drive with vvt in my cutlass . I bought the pass side r4 Ac bracket and the spacers, the camaro wp, r4 compresser and all the tensioners etc. dirty dingo relocation for idler and using truck bracket for pass side it just I don't really like the alt location .the holley set up just looks better so still trying to fig out ps/ steering box interference
Hey jimmyg. The design of the Holley alternator bracket will only accept the Corvette pump, which was done for a specific reason but I cannot recall what it is at this time as I did not work on the development of that component. We equipped the Holley Monte Carlo SS with the complete Holley accessory drive and were able to do so by using a different collection of parts than what you have. When using the Hooker engine brackets, the Holley accessory drive will only install in a G-body when using the Corvette spacing configuration and when the car is equipped with the Saginaw 700 series quick ratio steering box (factory Monte/Grand National box); it will not work with the 605 steering box. You'll need to swap out the balancer and water pump of your truck engine with the Corvette specific components as we did. You will also need to swap out the PS pump pulley for the CTS V pulley, which has a smaller diameter. This scenario may not be compatible with your desire to retain maintain the VVT functionality of your engine, so someone else with more knowledge of that system will have to chime in with more info. This image shows the Holley accessory drive set-up as it sits in the engine compartment of our Monte Carlo SS. I can get a clearer shot if you need it.

Last edited by Toddoky; 12-12-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Any part #s available yet for the 3" stainless out the back Monte SS exhaust? Also, do you know what heater control valve was used?
Old 12-12-2014, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 86slicksilverss
Any part #s available yet for the 3" stainless out the back Monte SS exhaust? Also, do you know what heater control valve was used?
I don't have any part numbers I can release at this time, but I will be able to post them a couple of weeks before they get released next month. The heater valve is reported to be a stock replacement part for that specific application that was purchased from our local O'Reilly parts store.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car is an 83 cutlas calias it has a saginaw 800 quick ratio box with the front and rear sway bars ,bucket seats Rally gauges etc. it's basicly a hurst olds with out the Lightning rods I don't know the difference between a saginaw 700/800 box .my motor has a mast motorsports vvt package so I have to keep truck spacing .
Old 12-12-2014, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

My car is an 83 cutlas calias it has a saginaw 800 quick ratio box with the front and rear sway bars ,bucket seats Rally gauges etc. it's basicly a hurst olds with out the Lightning rods I don't know the difference between a saginaw 700/800 box .my motor has a mast motorsports vvt package so I have to keep truck spacing .
The Saginaw 800 boxes were used on trucks, which were attached to the outside of the frame. The 700 series boxes are what we're used on cars and is more than likely the box you have. If you post a picture of it I can confirm what box it is.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

Tod,
What air intake are you using in the engine picture you posted?
Old 12-12-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie86
Tod,
What air intake are you using in the engine picture you posted?
One of our lab techs made it out of aluminum tubing and coated it with some type of wrinkle black paint. It has a K&N filter hanging on it to perform the filter duties.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

Looks Great. I'd like to replicate that or buy one if I can find one that will work.

No MAF sensor in the intake?
Old 12-14-2014, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes your right it is a 700 . It looks like yours .I had read it was an 800 off of another forum.im going to stick with my 1/2 truck/holley set up .but I was wondering , how does the exhaust sound? Can we get u to post a clip?dying to hear it thing must fly!!!!
Old 12-14-2014, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes your right it is a 700 . It looks like yours .I had read it was an 800 off of another forum.im going to stick with my 1/2 truck/holley set up .but I was wondering , how does the exhaust sound? Can we get u to post a clip?dying to hear it thing must fly!!!!
I think you are taking a sensible approach to your accessory drive set-up and one of the great side benefits to the engine location provided by the Hooker brackets is it lets you install a truck configured engine fully under the hood to get your package running and allow changes to things like the intake and accessory drive at a later day to spread out the cost of the project over time. We have plans to take some video clips tomorrow (inside and outside the car), so I should be posting those up by the end of the day for all to see and hear.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed in an earlier pic that it looks like you had the truck intake with the engine cover in. If so, did the cover fit under the hood?
Old 12-15-2014, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

The crossmember add-on bracket kits for the 4L60 and 4L80 transmissions made it onto the shelf this morning, so the crossmembers should be close behind.

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie86
Looks Great. I'd like to replicate that or buy one if I can find one that will work.

No MAF sensor in the intake?
No MAF, the Holley Dominator EFI is a speed-density system.

Originally Posted by Kansas Bu Wagon
I noticed in an earlier pic that it looks like you had the truck intake with the engine cover in. If so, did the cover fit under the hood?
The intake was unfortunately swapped out before the hood was reinstalled, so I don't know if the truck intake cover will clear the hood or not.

Quick Reply: New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview