Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorter SBC engine mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Shorter SBC engine mounts?

I know there's an SBC sub-forum but I think this is more of an engine swap question...

Back when I first did my swap, I used regular rubber engine mounts from the parts store. I don't remember the interchange or part number. They seem to work pretty well. I now want to add A/C to my car, and the bottom of the mount (RED BOX) is covering one of the holes I need (GREEN ARROW). That wedge in bottom of the mount doesn't seem to do anything. Can I get a mount without that part at the bottom so I can bolt up my A/C bracket?

I think I want to stick with rubber for now. I found these on the Jegs website but I'm not sure if they'll fit or not. I'm not sure if they interchange or what.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Trans+Dapt/969...VAUaAsCa8P8HAQ

What is the purpose of the wedge on the motor mount - the part I have outlined in red?
Attached Thumbnails Shorter SBC engine mounts?-img_3983_diagram.jpg  

Last edited by FastKat; 07-14-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unsure about the answers you are looking for, but I will say that I have solid mounts in my car and you can't really feel the engine vibrating. The LS motors have a different firing order that reduces the vibrations compared to the old school motors. If you absolutely must switch to solid mounts, you won't really notice the change.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Hm. I've been thinking about that, but it's an old Jaguar. I'm trying to keep the luxury thing going with softer motor mounts. When you say solid, you mean poly, right?
Old 07-15-2014, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

no when I say solid I mean all steel without any rubber at all.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sub'd... I am in the same boat right now, I want AC lol
Old 07-15-2014, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you post a picture of the mount face on. Take a look at the EnergySuspension catalog page 15.. see if that has a lower profile.

But if you using standard type plates, the mount is still not going to resolve you problem. The plate will still cause contact. I made a plate with both the stardard and early BRP bolt pattern to see what will work.. and yes, the standard made contact with the compressor/bracket. I the went with the early BRP style of plates.

BC
Old 07-16-2014, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

For the mounts in your pic, what is the distance between the two ears that the mount bolt goes thru? What is the height of the mount (mounting surface to the block to the center of the mount bolt hole)?

The look like the short and wide SBC mounts and the ones on the Jegs link look to be the short and wide version too. They should be interchange number 2142...
Old 07-17-2014, 07:35 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I am going to hold off on the solid mounts for now. My new engine is a 408 so it's going to have some torque, but I want to try to keep the car as luxury / comfortable as possible.

I remember the part about the wide vs thin mount, but I won't be close to the engine any time soon to take a pic or measure.

aggie, that 2142 part number was just what I needed. I can get a single mount at the local parts store for $6 to try out. If it works I'll keep it and move on.

Thanks again guys!
Old 07-20-2014, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

I got the smaller 2142 engine mount on and I modified the truck A/C bracket to fit. Let me start by saying that mount is a little wimpy compared to the original mount I had. I believe the original mount was the "350/454" mount and the new mount is the "350" mount. It's on the passenger side so at least it won't be holding the engine down.

Here are some pics of the smaller mount and the trimmed truck A/C bracket. I tested it with a busted compressor and it all seems to bolt up and fit great. The only catch is that the engine mount blot will need installed from the rear, not the front.
Attached Thumbnails Shorter SBC engine mounts?-img_0035.jpg   Shorter SBC engine mounts?-img_0039.jpg  
Old 07-20-2014, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

You can use "clam shell" style mounts slightly modified, with the truck compressor also...

Old 07-21-2014, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that with setback or no setback with the stock clamshell?
Old 07-21-2014, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by N20zuki
Is that with setback or no setback with the stock clamshell?

Those are "no setback"style mounts.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Ah. Is there any real benefit to the clamshells over the ones I used? Or just a different style?

Originally Posted by CattleAc
You can use "clam shell" style mounts slightly modified, with the truck compressor also...
Old 07-22-2014, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FastKat
Ah. Is there any real benefit to the clamshells over the ones I used? Or just a different style?

I don't see any benefit...I used these because they were the mounts my 1986 C-30 came with and I wanted it in the original position...

In that application it worked out very well. I got to keep my factory 6.0L AC comp in the stock location with no mods to the bracket.

Quick Reply: Shorter SBC engine mounts?