Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 swap into mustang experts please enter

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 swap into mustang experts please enter

So I'm wanting to build a single turbo street car 6.0 fox or sn95 starting soon.. Can you guys give me some tips? What Auto trans works best 4l60 or 80? What all has to be changed? I want to run A/C and power steering. Anyone know a good place to find a truck wrecked or engine to pick up? What kind of power are these 6.0 motors capable of stock, or with stock bottom end? What should you upgrade on these motors? Any and all recommendations are welcome. Looking for the best budget reliable way to pull this off. Thanks in advance
Old 08-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Note: Youll have a dozen guys come in here and bash my response and say I JUST THREW A 200K MILE LONGBLOCK IN AND IT WAS FINE. That is the cheapest way to go about this and by all means has worked in the past. If you want to avoid having issues down the road, best bet is to freshen up your motor before doing anything else. You can find guys that build fresh 5.3's and 6.0s and give up on their projects. Most sell for $1200-1500 with all new hardware.

Originally Posted by 92sprayed50
So I'm wanting to build a single turbo street car 6.0 fox or sn95 starting soon..

Can you guys give me some tips?
Patience and $$$

What Auto trans works best 4l60 or 80?
Street car run an 80, strip car TH400 or a glide

What all has to be changed?
On what exactly?

I want to run A/C and power steering
No you dont, manual rack and windows down!

Anyone know a good place to find a truck wrecked or engine to pick up?
craigslist, ebay, junkyards in your area, $700-1000 for a complete 6.0 will be a good deal.

What kind of power are these 6.0 motors capable of stock, or with stock bottom end?
Stock bottom end with the right parts 800-1000hp on many setups has been achieved.

What should you upgrade on these motors?
Buy a junkyard motor, replace rod bearings, main bearings, file fit new piston rings, ARP rod bolts and headstuds (or equivalent....pro comp: ebay) and all accompanied gaskets. This is for those HIGH mile pickups.

Optional: Boost cam, new lifters, pushrods, valvesprings, trunion bearing upgrade

Any and all recommendations are welcome. Looking for the best budget reliable way to pull this off. Thanks in advance
Old 08-19-2014, 04:49 PM

Hey im all about getting it running then freshing it up later on down the road.. What all has to be changed on the 4l80,to hold that power. And what Has to be changed to the mustang?
Would you run a stand alone CPU?
Old 08-19-2014, 05:02 PM

What all needs to be changed on the motor? Heads, intake? Ect..
Old 08-19-2014, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Have you read a single thread or post on this forum? Nobody is going to hold your hand and give you an instruction manual. Every single thing you have asked has been answered 50 times and half of it is covered in the first 3 pages. What do you mean "what has to be changed on the mustang?" That is the most vague question. The k member the motor mounts the oil pan the exhaust the transmission cross member the driveshaft the gauges the ecu the shifter the fuel pump etc etc.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mangler
Have you read a single thread or post on this forum? Nobody is going to hold your hand and give you an instruction manual. Every single thing you have asked has been answered 50 times and half of it is covered in the first 3 pages. What do you mean "what has to be changed on the mustang?" That is the most vague question. The k member the motor mounts the oil pan the exhaust the transmission cross member the driveshaft the gauges the ecu the shifter the fuel pump etc etc.
Calm yourself. If you have nothing positive to add then just ignore the thread!
Old 08-20-2014, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by mangler
Dang man wasnt trying to get under your skin. Was just trying to get helpful tips to avoid problems.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 92sprayed50
Dang man wasnt trying to get under your skin. Was just trying to get helpful tips to avoid problems.
His point is that you will not find many people willing to give helpful answers if you ask questions that are already answered in other threads.

It's kinda like walking into a restaurant and sitting at our table, interrupting us and asking about the menu.

There are probably 75 threads on this site specifically on Mustang swaps. Just read through a few of them and you'll have 90% of your answers.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LoganTHMotorsports
Calm yourself. If you have nothing positive to add then just ignore the thread!
He is right though man. I trolled the LT1 section for 3 years before I even started in on my first car. It helped me narrow down my part selection and even find my mechanic to help me work on it(read: do it for me). The subforums are for help yes, but if youre asking questions like these, its obvious you havent even looked at the first two pages before asking your question.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:02 AM

Ok I see your points. Thanks guys.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:17 AM
TECH Regular

The 4L80e fits with minimal trans tunnel massaging. You'll have to fab a trans mount, I don't think anyone offers one for the 80e, I bought one for a 60e swap and moved the mounts back to accommodate the longer 80e, simple enough.

Power steering is easy, 1 adapter fitting on the GM pump, 1 adapter fitting on the rack and a hose between them, you're done.

Buy a standalone harness from BP Automotive if you are going to use a stock ECU. I bought one and it fits perfectly. The main trunk is just long enough to mount the ECU under the passenger seat.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:20 AM
TECH Resident

This thread would be a good one to look at for a beavy of ideas. Probably one of the most comprehensive fox swap threads ive seen on the web.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ack-build.html
Old 09-08-2014, 11:41 PM

Sorry to revive a older thread, I've got a 6.0 with 4l80e for free and plan on doing a swap to a sn95. I was going to use the 4.6 k member with 4.6 motor mounts with 1/4" adapter plates from reading that also works. What else would I need to keep AC and PS. And should I fab a cross member for the l80 or just buy the l60e cross member and move it back like the earlier post said. The 6.0 comes with all electronics too. I was going to also use that.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Launching!

please find my build thread, some helpful tips in mine!
Old 09-10-2014, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

I'm going to make adapter brackets to bolt my Ford A/C compressor and Ford power steering pump to the LS. That way I can keep power brakes and steering.

For the A/C, will I need to keep the stock computer ('99)? I'm using the Holley Dominator EFI to control the engine/trans.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tvanlant
I'm going to make adapter brackets to bolt my Ford A/C compressor and Ford power steering pump to the LS. That way I can keep power brakes and steering.

For the A/C, will I need to keep the stock computer ('99)? I'm using the Holley Dominator EFI to control the engine/trans.
Seems like an awful amount of work to retain the power steering when all you need is a $15 fitting and modified F-body pressure line but, do as you wish.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by boostnut
Seems like an awful amount of work to retain the power steering when all you need is a $15 fitting and modified F-body pressure line but, do as you wish.
I'd have to buy the pump as well. Drilling and tapping a few holes in a block of aluminum shouldn't be too bad.

Quick Reply: 6.0 swap into mustang experts please enter