Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can this be done!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can this be done!?

So im running a corvette accessory drive on my 5.3 but I need to use the truck alternator bracket for a new setup im building, can the back of the bracket be milled down to move the alternator far enough back to line up with the corvette balancer? from what I gather it needs to be milled down 1-15/32 to line up. can this be done?
Old 09-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made my own accessory brackets, which allowed me to put stuff wherever I wanted. Even reused the AC compressor and PS pump from the original engine.
It's so easy to do, I shake my head at folks buying the high dollar reloaction brackets etc.
Brackets bolt to the front of the motor/heads, and then the accessories bolt to them.
I needed the alternator on the passenger side, up top. And like I said, reused the Rover ac comp etc.
Can this be done!?-ls6-intake-wiring-web.jpg
Martin
Old 09-05-2014, 10:55 PM
Launching!

didn't really answer my question though...
Old 09-05-2014, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've read at least a couple of times where people have run brackets like these through a bandsaw. Off the top of my head, I can't think of why it wouldn't work - although "Measure (AT LEAST!) twice, cut once" would seem to be a good suggestion here...

But since you have the ability to mill the material off, I'd think that you'll probably be fine.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:50 AM
12 Second Club

You may have to modify #1 coil bracket for alt clearance. But the big question is... Will the p/s pump fit between front of block and bracket? Just by looking at a factory one without measuring. I'd say it would be very tight to a NO it won't work for P/S. Grab a scrap bracket at the Junk yard. I got one to cut on out of their scrap aluminum pile and paid 5 bucks for it(Scrap price).

If you are just wanting the corvette water pump for outlet and have plenty of room in front, Just buy the space kit for the water pump.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

I'd expect it to be easier to space the rest of the accessories to match a truck balancer.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by i r teh noobz
I'd expect it to be easier to space the rest of the accessories to match a truck balancer.
Me too, thus my post about just making brackets.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:46 PM
Launching!

I need to run the truck bracket because im using a vette balancer to run my belt driven fuel pump and am planning to use up and forward headers for a set of twin turbos. the motor is in my fox body right now but is going into my S10 pickup

Old 09-07-2014, 05:40 AM
12 Second Club

What about these?

mounts Ford p/s and alternator
http://www.scramspeed.com/scram-spee...-mustang-swap/

or
Corvette style with truck pump and alt. Just trim down spacer. or give them a call an they could send the corvette spacers with that style bracket.

http://www.kwikperf.com/lsx_alt_ps.html
Old 09-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Launching!

the one from kwik will hit the turbo headers im using and the one from scram uses a truck balancer, I don't think that the scram will clear the head because the back of the alternator will hit it if I move it rearwards
Old 09-07-2014, 11:36 AM
12 Second Club

Are you going to use that truck manifold with v bands welded on? Because if you are, you can cut and clock the end of it to go around the pump. Truck manifolds weld up pretty easy. Have looked at ls3/g8 manifolds for your setup? ls3 manifolds should put your cross over pipe under the front of the oil pan instead.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

I just read the part about it going in a s10. Ls3 would dump right on the gear box.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:52 AM
Launching!

ill get home on tues but what im planning is getting a hyrdoboost from an astro to give me the clearance I need, removing the inner fenderwells and make my own bracket to fit a smaller power steering pump
Old 09-07-2014, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

I found these guys the other day. Lots of options, simple, and decent price. I'd imagine they could make something work for you if you give them a call.

http://goatbuilt.com/gm-ls-power-steering-brackets/
Old 09-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

I ran into a similar problem with my build. I do not believe it will work.

Here is the issue I ran into: when I measured an alternator with relation to a truck balancer, I had enough room for a GM alternator to fit. But when I installed my ATI corvette balancer and bought a corresponding corvette alternator, the corvette alternator sits on top and to the right of the valve cover. But thats where my up and forward turbo manifolds were located. So we ended up having to find a smaller footprint alternator and building a custom bracket to install it. Its a tight fit and will work, but its completely custom on our end.

Be mindful of where the alternator will be compared to your turbo headers. It needs to move back quite a bit to work with the corvette balancer.

Quick Reply: Can this be done!?