Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

familiar with gen IV truck wiring? I need E38/6L80E wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default familiar with gen IV truck wiring? I need E38/6L80E wiring help

2009 5.3/6L80E E38, came from a 2wd Silverado. I am putting it into a 4x4 Wagoneer.

Here's the wires I am having issues with:

#1 ) Underhood fuse block, X2 connector, as seen in the picture here:
http://lt1swap.com/pictures/4_underhood%20fuse%20block%20connector.jpg

There is a large purple wire on the far right side, I'm not sure what the pin is labeled as (F1? G1?). This wire goes out to a single wired connector - what is this connector and do I need it?

#2 ) Underhood fuse block, X2 connector, same one as above.

There is a green wire in position D4. It goes out to a 2-pin connector, which the other pin is a ground wire. What is this connector/circuit, and do I need it?

#3) Underhood fuse block, X2 connector, same one as above.

There is a PINK/WHITE wire in position N4. It goes to the plug on the transmission, pin #12. Is this a key on 12v+? Battery 12v+? Something else?

#4) Underhood fuse block, X2 connector, same one as above.

There is a RED/WHITE wire in position N3. It goes to the plug on the transmission, pin #4. Is this a key on 12v+? Battery 12v+? Something else?

#5) ECM X1 connector, Pin # 2, 4WD LOW - this wire is NOT in my harness, I assume because my donor was a 2WD. However, I am installing this into a 4WD vehicle and need it to know when I am in 4WD LOW. Do I need to add a pin/wire in this terminal? If so, where does it terminate? Does it go to a Transfer case switch that sends signal when in 4-Low? I am running an NP241-C transfer case, manually shifted - I believe it has a indicator switch and may have others.
Also, does this need to be modified in the ECM/TCM tune?

#6) ECM X1 connector, Pin # 3, AXLE SWITCH SIGNAL - this wire is NOT in my harness. Does it need to be added? Does anything need to be modified in my ECM/TCM tune for it?

#7) ECM X1 connector, Pin #18 Accessory Wake-Up Serial Data. Ive seen pinout how-tos that say to remove this. Do you tune the ECM/TCM so that it is not looking for this circuit? I've read that removing this can cause no-start issues.

#8) ECM X1 connector, Pin #27, circuit 2501, Tan wire, HIGH SPEED GMLAN SERIAL (-), goes to trans connector pin #11. Is this for tap up/tap down shifting, downshift (-)?

#9) ECM X1 connector, Pin #28, circuit 2500, Tan/Blk wire, HIGH SPEED GMLAN SERIAL (+), goes to trans connector pin #15. Is this for tap up/tap down shifting, upshift (+)?

#10) ECM X1 connector, Pin #'s 37, 38, & 41 - these are MAF wiring circuits. LT1SWAP.COM pinout has 37,38,41 as going to location D,E,A respectively on the MAF connector. My harness has them going to location B, A, C respectively. Is this going to be an issue? Is there a specific MAF sensor I need? (I do not yet have a MAF - need to buy one, not sure which yet)

#11) ECM X1 connector, Pin #57, missing - I do not have a vehicle speed sensor circuit in my harness. Is this because I have a 6L80E (VSS is inside trans)? Is this wiring likely in the trans connector?

#12) ECM X1 connector, Pin #59, powertrain relay control. LT1SWAP.COM pinout highlights say to remove this. Do you tune the ECM/TCM so that it is not looking for this circuit? I've read that removing this can cause no-start issues.

#13) ECM X2 connector, Pin #'s 43, 53, 58 - these are MAP wiring circuits.dumLT1SWAP.COMdumpinout has 43,53,58 as going to location C,A,B respectively on the MAP connector. My harness has them going to location 1, 2, 3 respectively. Is this going to be an issue? The MAP sensor installed is the one that came with the truck/engine/wiring harness. I Just wasn't sure if this would effect you on the tuning side (different MAP sensor may make a difference)

#14) X109 Connector, location B5 - black/white wire, I assume it's ground - Needed?
#15) X109 connector, location B6 - dark blue wire going to a 2-prong connector. What is this, and do I need it?

Seems like a lot. Otherwise, I've got the wiring done.

Any input appreciated
Old 11-19-2014, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can't find these pin outs, you can subscribe to all data and have access to all the connector views and schematics.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Item 1 Violet wire is to the start solenoid on starter
Pin 4 on trans is b+
Pin 9 and 12 are ignition
x1-59 is the output to the powertrain relay coil. we use it as intended for one button starting
x1, 18,19 are used as key in
Old 11-20-2014, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#8 & #9 are not tap shift, they are communication bus between modules.

#5 correct, #6 the ECM/TCM is probably expecting that to be valid. Never done a 4x4 but I would assume you'll need to simulate the axle switch for proper 4low operation.

#7 Leave unless there is a valid reason to remove. If you ever decide to integrate BCM or other power mode sensitive modules will be needed.

#11 may be easier to to use ECM X1-71 (replicated TOSS) to get VSS. X1-57 is usually a 128k output not 4k.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Teching In

Excellent info - this should get me pointed in the right direction.

I have searched and searched, and can't find much info on Gen IV 4x4 swaps.

Do any of yall have a source or website that may have more info I can read and search through? I Hate having to post everytime I have a little question, especially when it is one I'm confident has been solved before (but I can't find in a search).

Thanks again
Shawn
Old 11-20-2014, 11:34 AM
Teching In

I incorporated your answers, and added some I found on ALLDATA (Thanks for the heads up on ALLDATA, BTW! There's a coupon code, FALLDIY, saves $6 on a year).

I'll try to apply these and see what happens. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

For now, I am typing these here and posting them so I can reference them later as needed.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
#1 ) Underhood fuse block, X2 connector, as seen in the picture here:
http://lt1swap.com/pictures/4_underh...0connector.jpg

There is a large purple wire on the far right side, I'm not sure what the pin is labeled as (F1? G1?). This wire goes out to a single wired connector - what is this connector and do I need it?

This is Starter Solenoid Crank Voltage, circuit #6. Connector plugs into starter

#2 ) Underhood fuse block, X2 connector, same one as above.

There is a green wire in position D4. It goes out to a 2-pin connector, which the other pin is a ground wire. What is this connector/circuit, and do I need it?

This is AC Compressor clutch, circuit #59. Connector plugs into AC Compressor and has a ground wire also attached

#3) Underhood fuse block, X2 connector, same one as above.

There is a PINK/WHITE wire in position N4. It goes to the plug on the transmission, pin #12. Is this a key on 12v+? Battery 12v+? Something else?

This is an ignition voltage wire, key on + voltage, circuit #2139. Connector plugs into transmission connector, pin #12

#4) Underhood fuse block, X2 connector, same one as above.

There is a RED/WHITE wire in position N3. It goes to the plug on the transmission, pin #4. Is this a key on 12v+? Battery 12v+? Something else?

This is a battery positive wire, battery + voltage, circuit #1840. Connector plugs into transmission connector, pin #4

#5) ECM X1 connector, Pin # 2, 4WD LOW - this wire is NOT in my harness, I assume because my donor was a 2WD. However, I am installing this into a 4WD vehicle and need it to know when I am in 4WD LOW. Do I need to add a pin/wire in this terminal? If so, where does it terminate? Does it go to a Transfer case switch that sends signal when in 4-Low? I am running an NP241-C transfer case, manually shifted - I believe it has a indicator switch and may have others.
Also, does this need to be modified in the ECM/TCM tune?

This is a 4WD LOW Signal Wire, circuit #1694.Waiting to figure out how to incorporate this. It may need to be added to my harness and incorporated into the NP241C transfer case

#6) ECM X1 connector, Pin # 3, AXLE SWITCH SIGNAL - this wire is NOT in my harness. Does it need to be added? Does anything need to be modified in my ECM/TCM tune for it?

This is a AXLE SWITCH SIGNAL WIRE, circuit #1695.Waiting to figure out how to incorporate this. It may need to be added to my harness and incorporated into the NP241C transfer case

#7) ECM X1 connector, Pin #18 Accessory Wake-Up Serial Data. Ive seen pinout how-tos that say to remove this. Do you tune the ECM/TCM so that it is not looking for this circuit? I've read that removing this can cause no-start issues.

This is a SERIAL WAKEUP DATA Wire, circuit #5985, not required unless you use a BCM

#8) ECM X1 connector, Pin #27, circuit 2501, Tan wire, HIGH SPEED GMLAN SERIAL (-), goes to trans connector pin #11. Is this for tap up/tap down shifting, downshift (-)?

This is the serial data chain and should run from ECM=TCM=BCM=DLC. It should terminate at the OBDII port (and MAY need a 120ohm resistor, although I don't think so)

#9) ECM X1 connector, Pin #28, circuit 2500, Tan/Blk wire, HIGH SPEED GMLAN SERIAL (+), goes to trans connector pin #15. Is this for tap up/tap down shifting, upshift (+)?

This is the serial data chain and should run from ECM=TCM=BCM=DLC. It should terminate at the OBDII port (and MAY need a 120ohm resistor, although I don't think so)

#10) ECM X1 connector, Pin #'s 37, 38, & 41 - these are MAF wiring circuits. LT1SWAP.COM pinout has 37,38,41 as going to location D,E,A respectively on the MAF connector. My harness has them going to location B, A, C respectively. Is this going to be an issue? Is there a specific MAF sensor I need? (I do not yet have a MAF - need to buy one, not sure which yet)

According to ALLDATA, for a 2009 truck, my wiring is correct. LT1Swap.com wiring may have been for a different vehicle (hence different pin locations). MAF from a truck should be just fine. Verify wiring pins on MAF when received.

#11) ECM X1 connector, Pin #57, missing - I do not have a vehicle speed sensor circuit in my harness. Is this because I have a 6L80E (VSS is inside trans)? Is this wiring likely in the trans connector?

Waiting to verify need and whether or not it is indeed a part of the Trans

#12) ECM X1 connector, Pin #59, powertrain relay control. LT1SWAP.COM pinout highlights say to remove this. Do you tune the ECM/TCM so that it is not looking for this circuit? I've read that removing this can cause no-start issues.

This is used for 1-touch start/push button start. I don't intend to use this, but will leave just in case I add later.

#13) ECM X2 connector, Pin #'s 43, 53, 58 - these are MAP wiring circuits. LT1SWAP.COM pinout has 43,53,58 as going to location C,A,B respectively on the MAP connector. My harness has them going to location 1, 2, 3 respectively. Is this going to be an issue? The MAP sensor installed is the one that came with the truck/engine/wiring harness. I Just wasn't sure if this would effect you on the tuning side (different MAP sensor may make a difference)

According to ALLDATA, my MAP sensor is wired correctly

#14) X109 Connector, location B5 - black/white wire, I assume it's ground - Needed?

This is a ground wire and can be used or removed.
#15) X109 connector, location B6 - dark blue wire going to a 2-prong connector. What is this, and do I need it?
This is the AC Low pressure sensor, circuit#204. In 4x4 applications, B6 is circuit #1553 Motor Control Orange wire (I assume to control motorized shift Transfer Case).
Old 04-11-2020, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Does anyone have the pinout for the X2 connector, as well as the interior 40 pin connector (it's only using 32). I have a 2013 LC9 5.3 and am in the same boat. There is nowhere near the info on the gen4 stuff like is available on the gen3. Anything can help. Thanks
Old 04-14-2020, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Alldata should have what you need.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (04-14-2020)

Quick Reply: familiar with gen IV truck wiring? I need E38/6L80E wiring help