Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank Pulley Clearance Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Pulley Clearance Issue

I finally got my LS3/4L65E combo sitting in my 69 Camaro! Biggest problem is that I have very little clearance (about 1/8") between the crank pulley and the front sway bar. I used Dirty Dingo Sliders with Energy Suspension 3-1114G motor mounts. But, I'm thinking at this point I need taller motor mounts to get me a little more clearance.

Has anyone else run into this situation? How did you solve the problem?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

You could switch to an underdrive pulley. I had considered one on my build (not a camaro), but decided to move my motor mounts instead to help in other areas also.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Do you know how much smaller the underdrive pulley is than the stock crank pulley?
Old 11-23-2014, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

With the truck set up I was looking at, the stock pulley was 8" diameter, the underdrive units typically said a 25% underdrive, meaning 25% less belt rotation, so 6" diameter. Should give an inch more clearance.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you not put spacer blocks under the swaybar mounts to lower it? Or use longer/shorter links to move the center?
Old 11-24-2014, 08:05 PM
Teching In

glitchz71: Definitely worth looking into, thanks for the info! I'm not that familiar with underdrive pulleys, are there any drawbacks to using one?

A friend of mine suggested using a different front sway bar, one with a larger center bend. He suggested the Detroit Speed one, does anyone know how deep the center bend is?
Old 11-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

I know there's a number of guys running underdrive pulleys on performancetrucks.net without any issues. When running one, it slows down the rotation of all your accessories, the biggest issue that can come from this is your alternator not being able to produce the same amperage, so an overdrive pulley on the alternator (also smaller, so it spins more often per belt travel) might also be wise if the car will have aftermarket stereo and accessories. There may be other, better, ways to work around the issue that guys who have done the 1st gen Camaro swap would be more familiar with. The pulley is just what came to mind for me, and I don't hear it discussed much when these problems arise (probably because they typically will have similar clearance issues with the oil pan at the same time).
Old 11-24-2014, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Can you not put spacer blocks under the swaybar mounts to lower it? Or use longer/shorter links to move the center?
I hadn't thought of that, but that seems like potentially a very cheap solution! Thanks, I will take a look at that.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by glitchz71
I know there's a number of guys running underdrive pulleys on performancetrucks.net without any issues. When running one, it slows down the rotation of all your accessories, the biggest issue that can come from this is your alternator not being able to produce the same amperage, so an overdrive pulley on the alternator (also smaller, so it spins more often per belt travel) might also be wise if the car will have aftermarket stereo and accessories. There may be other, better, ways to work around the issue that guys who have done the 1st gen Camaro swap would be more familiar with. The pulley is just what came to mind for me, and I don't hear it discussed much when these problems arise (probably because they typically will have similar clearance issues with the oil pan at the same time).
I'm glad you suggested it, if I'm going to spend more money I might as well get some horsepower out of it. I'm seriously considering the ATI Super Damper (917246), just wish it didn't cost so much!
Old 11-24-2014, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

I've had an underdrive on my LM7 for 2 years without issues. You will need a shorter belt.

Quick Reply: Crank Pulley Clearance Issue