Sponsored by:

CAUTION!! When buying LS engines & harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAUTION!! When buying LS engines & harnesses

Most everyone who reads this site has heard that when you buy an engine or
engine and transmission, be sure to get the harness and ECM or PCM. Let me reiterate that it is very important that you make sure you do get everything, especially if you are buying a Gen 4 drive by wire setup or something that requires a TCM (trans control module). As these engines and transmissions have evolved, some of them have a TCM attached to the wiring harness. Some salvage yards seem to think that isn't part of buying a complete engine/trans/ECM/harness. Check if a TCM is supposed to be there, because it can be difficult to xreference some of them...and expensive to get later. Some of the newer ones have it incorporated in the transmission, but be sure before you pay your money. In addition to that, if you are getting a drive by wire combo, check to see if the ECM/PCM controls the throttle, or whether there is a separate TAC (throttle control actuator) that must be part of your harness.Trust me when I say that trying to get specific info especially on a transition year vehicle can be difficult. Also if you are looking for some free wiring diagrams check out "Wilson Auto Electric).
Old 02-09-2015, 07:58 PM
Teching In

You make a good point. I often wonder this as I currently have an engine from a 2011 Escalade.

I would like to keep the VVT that the engine has, so I wonder if it was possible to use a Camaro Wire Harness with the Escalade ECU.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Gen IV engines don't use a TAC.

Andrew
Old 02-09-2015, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by guitaraholic
You make a good point. I often wonder this as I currently have an engine from a 2011 Escalade.

I would like to keep the VVT that the engine has, so I wonder if it was possible to use a Camaro Wire Harness with the Escalade ECU.
Probably with a few modifications. The alternator for one thing is not in the same location. Maybe some other items but it can be made to work. The main wiring is all the same. Just that some items are not in the same location.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
Probably with a few modifications. The alternator for one thing is not in the same location. Maybe some other items but it can be made to work. The main wiring is all the same. Just that some items are not in the same location.
Good to know. All the stuff is going to be in totally different places anyways...lol. I'm building an SLC,, so OEM fit is out the window.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...e-monster.html
Old 02-09-2015, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Make sure you get the wiring harness for the L99 Camaro as it has VVT. The LS3 version does not have that plug and you would have to add it and the wiring.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Default CAUTION!! When buying LS engines & harnesses

After hours of searching on line,visting a dealers parts department,and finally locating a same year (2007 New) 3500HD with 6.0 and 6L90, I was finally able to confirm what I have and what is needed. Be aware that its not as simple as saying that all changes are made by year. There are overlapping situations where 24x reluctors are used in some GM vehicles during the same year 58x reluctors are used in other vehicles. I think I am correct to say that anything with a drive by wire Gen IV engine will use a 58x reluctor. In the case of the 2007 Silverado, previous year vehicles used a 4L60 transmission and had a TAC module and an underhood transmission module with the 6.0 engine. I "believe" these were carried over into 2007 and called "classic" because the sheetmetal was still the 2006 style. Any 2007 with the LY6 engine in 2007 received the alum heads like an LS3 engine has. This was coupled to a 6L90 or 6L80 transmission in the heavy duty trucks and the TAC module was incorporated in the ECM rather than being separate. The transmission control module is located inside the 6L90 transmission but still connected to the ECM. The empty electrical connectors I was concerned about appear to connect to the fuse panel. My original point is that what ever you buy, be sure whether/or not you need a TAC or Trans module before plunking your money down. They have to be specific for your conversion and new ones aren't cheap. Hope this saves someone some headaches. One last thing...I think all the newer (2008 up) ones probably don't have the external modules. SCREAMING HALT....NEW INFO
If you are dealing with 2010 and newer vehicles, your ECM will require you to have the correct VIN number input in order to operate it...and thats from a pretty good source.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Default ID engine

Any time I get a driveline component I also get the VIN. Of course there are times when this can't happen BUT if it's an engine/trans just laying on the ground in a junkyard maybe the best idea is to pass. Didn't use to worry about that before fuel injection but as advancements are made with more sophisticated electronics the more of a requirement it is.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2009 l92

Hi Guys,

I just bought a low mileage L92 from an Escalade complete with harness, ECM and pedal. I hope to use it with a 4L80E in my G body Cutlass.

Does anyone know if the TCM is part of the ECM on an 09' Escalade or was it a separate unit? How can I tell....?

Thanks

EDIT: Looks like just answered my own question. The TCM is a separate unit that was not included with my purchase.....DOH!

Amazon.com: OEM General Motors Transmission Control Module, TCM Computer Unit- 2009-2012 Chevrolet Avalanche, Tahoe / Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT - #24256861: Automotive Amazon.com: OEM General Motors Transmission Control Module, TCM Computer Unit- 2009-2012 Chevrolet Avalanche, Tahoe / Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT - #24256861: Automotive

Next question is, what do I need to control a 4 speed (4L80) with my ECM? The Caddy TCM is set up for a 6 speed trans anyway....

Thanks
Old 02-12-2015, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Did not the Escalade come with the 6L80 tranmission? The TCM is internal on the 6L80. You are going to have to find a combination that uses the L92, 4L80E and a 58x reluctor unless you want to take the motor apart and change the reluctor to a 24X. It is on the crankshaft. You have some research to do.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Does anyone know if Chevy put 6.2 w/VVT on anything that was a manual? I have a 6.2 from an Escalade, and putting in my SLC. I'm going with a manual transmission so all the auto trans stuff is not applicable.

If not,, would going with a manual transmission with an automatic harness (and possible ECU) cause issues? Can the ECU be flashed/programmed where this isn't a factor?
Old 02-12-2015, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ekimneirbo1
I think I am correct to say that anything with a drive by wire Gen IV engine will use a 58x reluctor.
LS2's are DBW Gen IV and came in both 24x (GTO, TBSS, SSR) and 58x (Corvette).

Tipsy
Old 02-12-2015, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by L92 OLDS
Hi Guys,

I just bought a low mileage L92 from an Escalade complete with harness, ECM and pedal. I hope to use it with a 4L80E in my G body Cutlass.

Does anyone know if the TCM is part of the ECM on an 09' Escalade or was it a separate unit? How can I tell....?

Thanks

EDIT: Looks like just answered my own question. The TCM is a separate unit that was not included with my purchase.....DOH!

Amazon.com: OEM General Motors Transmission Control Module, TCM Computer Unit- 2009-2012 Chevrolet Avalanche, Tahoe / Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT - #24256861: Automotive

Next question is, what do I need to control a 4 speed (4L80) with my ECM? The Caddy TCM is set up for a 6 speed trans anyway....

Thanks
When you start mixing and matching parts like this, you are asking for trouble. If you want to make this swap as painless as possible, I would contact Speartech. John can make you a proper harness that will work with your L92 (which never came with a 4L80E) and integrate it with a proper TCU to work with a 4L80E.

Another option is to use the Holley Dominator which will easily run both the L92 (sans VVT) and the 4L80E. This will give you full user programability of both engine and transmission parameters.

Andrew
Old 02-12-2015, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
When you start mixing and matching parts like this, you are asking for trouble. If you want to make this swap as painless as possible, I would contact Speartech. John can make you a proper harness that will work with your L92 (which never came with a 4L80E) and integrate it with a proper TCU to work with a 4L80E.

Another option is to use the Holley Dominator which will easily run both the L92 (sans VVT) and the 4L80E. This will give you full user programability of both engine and transmission parameters.

Andrew
Thanks for the info. I was hoping to avoid going with a custom harness and ECM solution as they are very pricey. I already have a complete harness and ECM so at this point I only need to figure out how to interface a 4 speed trans. In either case, John should be a good resource. Thanks
Old 02-12-2015, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to avoid going with a custom harness and ECM solution as they are very pricey. I already have a complete harness and ECM so at this point I only need to figure out how to interface a 4 speed trans. In either case, John should be a good resource. Thanks
Look at GenIV vans for clues. Looks like in 2009 vans with the 4.8L engine got the 4L80E trans...

https://archives.media.gm.com/us/pow...09/09truck.htm

Andrew
Old 02-13-2015, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Amazon.com: OEM General Motors Transmission Control Module, TCM Computer Unit- 2009-2012 Chevrolet Avalanche, Tahoe / Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT - #24256861: Automotive

Thanks
This is exactly why I posted this thread. I bought a 2007 LY6 6.0 with a 6L90 and harness. I went thru an exhaustive search for the answer to trans and tach module needs. It turned out that the 6L90 has an internal trans module and the tac module is contained in the ECM. If you are not going to use the 6L90 your ECM can be reprogrammed, but you might want to check out Moates.net They have experience with this and are pretty friendly. They sell a computer that is optimized for more hp with no changes other than headers and works with the 4L80 trans. From what I have gathered, it is of no consequence to change to a 4L80 or any other electronic controlled trans except having your ECM reconfigured. Going to an automatic with no electronics or a manual trans is also easily done as the computer only has to input torque converter lockup/release when braking or deal with a clutch disengagement for a manual trans.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by guitaraholic
Does anyone know if Chevy put 6.2 w/VVT on anything that was a manual? I have a 6.2 from an Escalade, and putting in my SLC. I'm going with a manual transmission so all the auto trans stuff is not applicable.

If not,, would going with a manual transmission with an automatic harness (and possible ECU) cause issues? Can the ECU be flashed/programmed where this isn't a factor?
Yes, GM put manual 6 speeds in some Caddys. Going to a manual trans is easy as it just reduces the things that the ECM deals with. You will need to have your ECM reprogrammed to get rid of the things you probably won't need in a conversion.....like VATs, EGR, Purge system, and they can change the tranny info at the same time, so its probably not going to cost much if any more to have them change trans requirements at the same time.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ekimneirbo1
This is exactly why I posted this thread. I bought a 2007 LY6 6.0 with a 6L90 and harness. I went thru an exhaustive search for the answer to trans and tach module needs. It turned out that the 6L90 has an internal trans module and the tac module is contained in the ECM. If you are not going to use the 6L90 your ECM can be reprogrammed, but you might want to check out Mast Motorsports. They have experience with this and are pretty friendly. They sell a computer that is optimized for more hp with no changes other than headers and works with the 4L80 trans. From what I have gathered, it is of no consequence to change to a 4L80 or any other electronic controlled trans except having your ECM reconfigured. Going to an automatic with no electronics or a manual trans is also easily done as the computer only has to input torque converter lockup/release when braking or deal with a clutch disengagement for a manual trans.
I originally said Moates.net and meant to say Mast Motorsports.

Quick Reply: CAUTION!! When buying LS engines & harnesses