Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring E38 ecm/58x + Lincoln Mk8 fan + air conditioning?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring E38 ecm/58x + Lincoln Mk8 fan + air conditioning?

I'm at the point where I need to ask some questions to figure out where to even begin.
As the title says, truck harness (believe its an '08) with E38 ECM, Gen IV 58x motor. The harness and engine did not from the same vehicle. I have aftermarket A/C (classic auto air) and a single Ford lincoln MKVIII cooling fan. I also have a good R4 compressor that I plan to initially run and a sanden in the box for down the road unless this is a really bad idea.

Will this current collection of parts work (easily)?
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the Ford fan?

I've read various posts that use dual fans like a windstar or camaro. Not sure if I wire the 2 speed Ford fan like a high and low on a dual fan.

Unrelated (I think) - I have labeled in my harness passenger and driver side O2s and Injectors. Does it matter which side they are really on as long as the injectors and O2s are on the same side/bank?

Last edited by ErikSOCAL; 03-11-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The E38 ECM is set up to run up to 3 fans. J1-58 is for fan #1 and a J1-17 is for fan #2. I used relays for each output which in turn powered the fans.

I used a Sanden SD5( I think) for my set up. I don't think the brand really matters as long as the pulley aligns correctly and it fits into your mounting bracket. Also has enough capacity. Which/what compressor is the R4?

You need to search the internet for a wiring diagram. They are very helpful.

You will have to use the E38 ECM because of the 58 notch reluctor. The earlier ECMs are set up for the 24 notch refuctor.

I think you can run the Taurus/Lincoln style fan but it has to be wired up correctly. Of course the dual fans will work.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I updated the question in my post to clarify what I'm trying to get my nugget to understand.. which is now:

Will this current collection of parts work (easily)?
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the Ford fan?

I've read various posts that use dual fans like a windstar or camaro. Not sure if I wire the 2 speed Ford fan like a high and low on a dual fan. I'd like to avoid buying a different fan if possible..
Old 03-11-2015, 06:05 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I would use the Sanden compressor out of the box. Overall, its a better unit hands down. I've had 3 good R4's on my car in attempts to keep it factory stock.....All of them leak oil and refrigerant.

Your 2 speed Lincoln fan throws a lot of air. Many have used it. I chose a V6 set up from a Stratus / Sebring for my car.

Here's a decent write up on how to install the Lincoln fan with an aftermarket controller. You don't need the controller...only some good relays to handle the current draw.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/10/Mark8Fan/
Old 03-11-2015, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. I'd prefer the ECM to control the fan. That's were I'm lost with this set up.

After reading that article, if there was a way to incorporate the ECM with a PWM controller that would be pretty "cool".
Old 03-11-2015, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ErikSOCAL
Thanks. I'd prefer the ECM to control the fan. That's were I'm lost with this set up.

After reading that article, if there was a way to incorporate the ECM with a PWM controller that would be pretty "cool".
The E38 ECM is setup to run PWM. You just check a box in the program. It can go either way.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

ok.. I'm definitely getting into mission creep here but do have a DC Controls PWM from when the car was a good old fashioned Gen 1 SBC.

Is PWM a programming function or part of the system in wiring everything together?

If its a programming function, I'll get to that when I get everything installed.

So do I change my question on how to wire the ford fan, pwm, a/c, and E38 pcm together? OR
Is the question still how do I wire in the MKVIII single 2 speed Fan

Well, you can see why I'm asking these questions to get pointed in the right direction. I don't really need the a/c for start up but I'm beginning to run everything on the harness to their connection points so I figure now is a good time. And I need the fan to cool the engine anyways.

Last edited by ErikSOCAL; 03-11-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:49 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Erik, read this thread- http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthre...m+control+fans Tons of info on what you are looking for.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

wow, that was a ton of information. Thanks Chris!

Think I am going to get the car running first. For the time being, let the DC Controls PWM run the fan standalone and leave the a/c disconnected for now until I can get my noodle around all that info.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

I agree, that is a good link. If I ever decide to convert to a PWM controller I will visit that site again.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worth mentioning you can use a Mopar PWM fan module instead of the pricey Vette module.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...connector.html

Had planned to do PWM but the dual fan on mine is near silent at low speed and has never kicked to high. The Mark VII fan was a good piece in it's day but after using dual fans in series/parallel config I'll never go back unless space dictates it.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Check out the Derale 16795 stand alone pwm fan control module. I think I am going to get one for my car. It might work for you. Handles up to 65 amps. So you can have 1or as long as the total amperage does not exceed 65.

Quick Reply: Wiring E38 ecm/58x + Lincoln Mk8 fan + air conditioning?