Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G-body guys. Check out this turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default G-body guys. Check out this turbo kit

This is a kit that seems to be designed for trucks. However, I've been staring at it for a day or two and I can't see why it wouldn't fit on my '87 Regal. I already have the Drivers side truck manifold and I think I have the room to even use this down pipe.

Can anyone think of a reason this wouldn't work in Gbody? It would be great for me because I have almost no room at all to run the hot side forward on the drivers side because of the LS3 accessory system

http://www.shop.trickperformanceprod...-hot-pipes.htm
Old 03-17-2015, 02:42 PM
Teching In

I have looked as similar but to me it looks like the manifold would put the turbo too high for a stock hood. I have been looking at how to do mine, most seem to think that doing your own is the way to go to get the right fitment. Honestly though if you do not already have a welder than the cost would probably be similar.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blackbuick 1987
I have looked as similar but to me it looks like the manifold would put the turbo too high for a stock hood. I have been looking at how to do mine, most seem to think that doing your own is the way to go to get the right fitment. Honestly though if you do not already have a welder than the cost would probably be similar.
I remember being 25 and my time belonged to me. Now i'm 33 and I have 2 kids and 2 jobs and it's a lot different. Anything bolt on for me is just a major plus. I do work in a commercial manufacturing shop so I could have the Turbo flange mounted lower if needed. Or I could just send it to a chassis shop and say give this back to me 2 inches lower. Truth is though, with the Holley mounts, My engine sits very low. I may give it a try. If it works out, It would be a green light product for the G-body guys.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am building a similar setup hotside for my regal. Like said in a previous post, the truck setup sets the turbo too high to clear the hood. If you check out a recent thread by Denmah, he posted a 5.3 turbo regal that he tuned that had a log manifold built by kbracing. Kbracing builds turbo kits for gm trucks as well and he is willing to modify the manifold to suit your needs. In the build mentioned, he just lowered the flange a few inches so the turbo would clear the hood.

I also had KBracing build me a log manifold. I had him move the turbo farther forward and down. Here is what I'll be using..

Old 03-18-2015, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks exactly what I am looking for..... What did you do for a crossover?
Old 03-18-2015, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Streetracer09
I remember being 25 and my time belonged to me. Now i'm 33 and I have 2 kids and 2 jobs and it's a lot different. Anything bolt on for me is just a major plus.
I know how you feel, the struggle is real lol. Full time job, full time student, 2 kids and one coming very soon. Time is a premium for me right now as well. Would love a bolt on solution.

Bigmandengo that setup looks perfect for fitment. Did kbracing send you that directly or did it need work after you got it. Only thing issue I see is placement of the wastgate but I guess the pipe to turbo could be extended to fit one in.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blackbuick 1987
I know how you feel, the struggle is real lol. Full time job, full time student, 2 kids and one coming very soon. Time is a premium for me right now as well. Would love a bolt on solution.

Bigmandengo that setup looks perfect for fitment. Did kbracing send you that directly or did it need work after you got it. Only thing issue I see is placement of the wastgate but I guess the pipe to turbo could be extended to fit one in.
The manifold is unmodified, however it is not the standard turbo log built for trucks. The turbo flange is lowered and brought forward a few inches.

As far as the wastegate goes, there looks to be room to attach the wastegate onto the log right before the turbo flange. Lately I have been thinking about plumbing the wastegate into the crossover under the car to clear up come clutter in the engine bay. This configuration worries me about boost creep but the truck guys seem to have good luck with this configuration in low boost applications.

Originally Posted by WSLN 6
That looks exactly what I am looking for..... What did you do for a crossover?
I have not finished the crossover yet but the plan is to weld a v-band on to a drivers side truck manifold and attach 2.5" stainless tubing crossing under the transmission and into the log.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bigmandengo
I am building a similar setup hotside for my regal. Like said in a previous post, the truck setup sets the turbo too high to clear the hood. If you check out a recent thread by Denmah, he posted a 5.3 turbo regal that he tuned that had a log manifold built by kbracing. Kbracing builds turbo kits for gm trucks as well and he is willing to modify the manifold to suit your needs. In the build mentioned, he just lowered the flange a few inches so the turbo would clear the hood.

I also had KBracing build me a log manifold. I had him move the turbo farther forward and down. Here is what I'll be using..

Just curious. Where did you get the intake and elbow for that? What brand?
Old 03-19-2015, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Streetracer09
Just curious. Where did you get the intake and elbow for that? What brand?
The intake pictured is an Edelbrock Victor Jr and an edelbrock elbow. I have since swapped back to a stock truck intake since the edelbrock is so lazy down low. There was a significant seat of pants improvement switching to the plastic truck intake. In my opinion, don't waste your money on one unless you are doing it just for the appearance.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bigmandengo
The intake pictured is an Edelbrock Victor Jr and an edelbrock elbow. I have since swapped back to a stock truck intake since the edelbrock is so lazy down low. There was a significant seat of pants improvement switching to the plastic truck intake. In my opinion, don't waste your money on one unless you are doing it just for the appearance.
Thanks for the reply. That edelbrock looks really good and I usually don't like that look on LS motors. Here's the issue I have. It's not really an issue but more like something that's annoying me. lol

With the Hooker mounts my motor sits extremely low in the compartment. It's makes it pretty apparent that the motor doesn't really belong. I'm wondering if a taller intake would fill that void. I really like the Holley Mid Ram but IMO, no LS intake really gets me super excited. HEre's a pic.

Quick Reply: G-body guys. Check out this turbo kit