Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IAC and Cable Throttle Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IAC and Cable Throttle Conversion

My father and I just entered the wonderful world of LS engines. We plan to do a budget turbo junkyard 5.3l engine. We already have the engine, and it is a 2003 engine which means it is drive by wire. We did not pull the gas pedal and TAC module, and I would like to swap to cable throttle anyways. I want this to be a super simple setup on the stock PCM since it is a race only car. Therefore I want to do cable throttle without an IAC.

I have done some research on LT1swap.com and found that my PCM is supposedly not compatible with this conversion, but the only reason that was given was that it would not be able to drive the IAC. I don't need the IAC, so will I still be able to convert to cable throttle without issue? I plan to use HPtuner if that is relevant.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

What ECU do you have? Why wouldn't you want a IAC? Even race cars have to idle...LOL

Andrew
Old 05-03-2015, 06:51 PM

Just for simplicity. From what I understand you can just turn up the idle a bit to solve that problem. I'm a complete noob though. I really need to just go back and grab the throttle pedal and TAC module in case I run into problems, but I am at school away from home, and have not gotten a chance to get there.

The PCM is out of a 2003 Suburban Serv. No. 12582605.

Last edited by theV8kid; 05-03-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Switch to a IAC compatible PCM, problem solved
Old 05-05-2015, 01:18 PM

Unfortunately that does not solve the problem. My father and I are trying to do this on an extreme budget for Grassroots Motorsports Challenge. I will not say that spending $50-$100 on another PCM is not an option, but I would like to strongly avoid it. My question still stands. Can the oil level sensor port be converted to the TPS port in a DBW pcm and work correctly.

Another possible solution is using the original TPS sensor port that is a part of the DBW PCM. I don't know if that might work either. From what I understand the DBW setup has two TPS's. One that goes to the PCM and one that goes to the TAC module. Can I tell the PCM to not do all the throttle adjustment stuff and just read the TPS like a DBC PCM?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Use the pins on the PCM and load a DBC tune on it, yes, but no on the rest

You're better off switching PCMs or running DBW. Not sure what class that is but if its a "you have X budget to build the car" and you blew most of it on the engine already, then you might try desoldering the IAC drivers from a free junk PCM and soldering them to the board of yours
Old 05-05-2015, 09:11 PM

I'm going to see if the junkyard has crushed the car yet, and if not I'll grab the pedal and TAC, and if so I'll try to make it work without.

I still haven't purchased a tuner.

Do I have to spend credits to unlock my PCM, and then spend credits on the tune I want to put on? How does that all work?

I understand that efilive has a custom OS that you can install. Does hptuner have that too?
Old 05-06-2015, 06:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

With hptuners once you put the 2 credits to your pcm you can do whatever you want as many times as you want to that pcm. When you buy hptuners you get 8 credits and most pcms are 2 credits per pcm. So you can program 4 different cars before you need to buy more credits. I don't know anything about Efi live.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:16 AM

Do I need the VIN of the car the PCM came out of to have access to my PCM?
Old 05-06-2015, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keeping the dbw throttle and the components that came on your engine will be easiest , and cheapest , then change one thing at a time if you must after its running and driving
Old 05-07-2015, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by theV8kid
Do I need the VIN of the car the PCM came out of to have access to my PCM?
The vin is already in the pcm. When you connect hptuners to your pcm you can read the vin in calibration details.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:17 AM

Awesome! Thanks everybody for your input. I have a recent development. My father just located another engine that I will be taking the harness and pcm off of. It is a 2002 motor, so of course it is DBC, just like I wanted. I will be keeping the IAC as suggested. Here is a picture of the progress so far.

Thanks Again!

Quick Reply: IAC and Cable Throttle Conversion