Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alt charging question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alt charging question

Well i got my 5.3 with ls6 accessories and 02 vette ecu and wiring harness installed in my 70 Chevelle.

The alt is charging at 14.9. I have the original wire from alt with resistor running directly to the batery. Is there a better way to run it. Or is 14.9 normal. It is the 3 wire connector.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:39 AM
On The Tree

14.9 is a little high but its not too bad (13.8-14.2 is ideal). If you have a dry cell battery i doubt there would be any problems. However, if you are using a normal lead/acid battery, the acid could potentially boil over from the excessive heat
Old 09-27-2015, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Yep, thats a little high for my taste. Sounds like you've got a voltage regulator on the fritz.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:46 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Certainly not an internal engine question, let's stick this here in conversions.

Good luck!
Old 09-27-2015, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Why would you run that wire directly to the battery? It is seeing power all the time. It needs to be going to a switched sours so that it is only getting power when the ignition switch is in the RUN position. You should also wire the S terminal to your main power distribution point.

Andrew
Old 09-27-2015, 02:18 PM
Teching In

So should I just run it back to the starter like it was originally done?
Old 09-27-2015, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FearReborn
So should I just run it back to the starter like it was originally done?
Why doesn't your Vette harness have an alternator plug?

Andrew
Old 09-27-2015, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Why would you run that wire directly to the battery? It is seeing power all the time. It needs to be going to a switched sours so that it is only getting power when the ignition switch is in the RUN position. You should also wire the S terminal to your main power distribution point.

Andrew
Andrew,
How and where should the alt. charge wire be run? Do they require the resistor wire as the OP mentioned? Or is that not needed? What guage wire should be run from the alt. to the........... starter/ batt.bulkhead or batt. + terminal?

Since you have successfully swapped 2 conversions, what did you do?

thanks,
JIm
Old 09-27-2015, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Andrew,
How and where should the alt. charge wire be run? Do they require the resistor wire as the OP mentioned? Or is that not needed? What guage wire should be run from the alt. to the........... starter/ batt.bulkhead or batt. + terminal?

Since you have successfully swapped 2 conversions, what did you do?

thanks,
JIm
LMAO.....So yeah....I must have been drunk...For some reason I was thinking that he was talking about the alternator plug....when in reality he was talking about the output wire......Yes, I was being a moron and I admit it!!!

When running the output wire from an alternator I take it to the starter on GM vehicles. On the Cougar it is connected to the hot side of the starter relay. I have never seen or see any reason to have a resistor in that wire.

When the vehicle is running the alternator is serving all the electrical needs of the vehicle. The alternator in my Cougar is 130 amps and I combined 3 10 gauge wires together.

*edit* I just reread the original post and it definitely sounds like he was asking about the alternator plug, not the output wire...So maybe I wasn't drunk...LOL

Maybe the OP will dive back in here and clarify what he is actually asking about....

Andrew

Last edited by Project GatTagO; 09-27-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Why doesn't your Vette harness have an alternator plug?

Andrew
I do have the plug. The one terminal comes off and I have that running with the alternator into the battery. I thought the other two were controlled by the computer
Old 09-28-2015, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I am glad this is getting straightened out. I still need to address this in my bros basket case Camaro.

Andrew,
I wasn't being a smart azz I am seriously wanting to know what is considered "acceptable" I want to run it to the battery bulkhead just above the starter.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FearReborn
I do have the plug. The one terminal comes off and I have that running with the alternator into the battery. I thought the other two were controlled by the computer
Please be more descriptive in your posts. I see three wires but I have no idea which ones you are referring to with respect to going to the battery or to the ECU...

Andrew
Old 09-28-2015, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
I am glad this is getting straightened out. I still need to address this in my bros basket case Camaro.

Andrew,
I wasn't being a smart azz I am seriously wanting to know what is considered "acceptable" I want to run it to the battery bulkhead just above the starter.
I didn't think you were being a smart ***...no worries.

By "Battery bulkhead" do you mean a power distribution block? If so, then that is totally acceptable, since presumably the high load circuits will draw their power from this point.

Andrew
Old 09-28-2015, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Here is the question reworded... So I know the 14.9 is pretty high... Here is how it's installed .. So does it sound like the wiring is in the right place? Post from alt straight to battery... Battery positive voltage wire with fusable link straight to the battery.... Grey pin is the " generator field duty cycle sig" other red in pin is the generator turn on signal" both are controlled by the pcm.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Wiring/Part2/

Andrew

Quick Reply: Alt charging question