Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L83 power steering pump bracket

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default L83 power steering pump bracket

I am still looking for a way to mount a power steering pump to my 2014 l83. Anyone making a bracket yet? I have been looking at electric pumps but I am not sure they would have enough power for a full size pick up. I tried speed and performance but he doesnt know when he will get around to it.

I am sure that one of yall guys with engineering skills has figured it out by now.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Street and Performance has a complete accessory drive kit with power steering for the LT1, don't know anyone that just has an add-on piece yet.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

James said it wouldnt fit, that the l83 is a completely different block.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been waiting for one too. I finally sold my SBC 350 crate engine in my 72 El Camino and I'm ready to pull the trigger on an L83. I finally settled on doing electric power steering. The swaps on youtube have people retrofitting their manual steering cars with electric power steering motors from a Saturn VUE and a controller to adjust how much assist you want from a seller in portugal.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:34 AM
Staging Lane

Can you send me a link to that?
Old 10-10-2015, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by frige
Can you send me a link to that?
Here's the link

Old 10-22-2015, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Default L83 Power Steering

I talked to Dirty Dingo today and was told the they have a new line of brackets for the L83. It is ready and sales will start in 2 weeks. I was told that they have a power steering system and other options soon to be available. I'll post pics as soon as I get my parts.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

I called them and it might be out of my budget. You basically have to replace everything on the front of the motor. Water pump, alternator, a/c compressor, etc. I think I will have to go with the electric option.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep us posted! I've been waiting to find out who finally provides a pump first!
Old 11-28-2015, 01:01 PM
Launching!

I built a bracket that mounts the PS pump under the alternator. works great.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Hello. Finally got the Dirty Dingo (DD) LT serpentine system. As advertised it adds power steering pump to the L83, and L96 GEN V new GM engines. The information and some grade A pictures can be seen in their website. I used the LS3 crate engine water pump GM12604630 (DD instructions call for a corvette water pump ) my pump works perfectly. Also I was able to used the factory small case alternator that came with my L83. I went for the 1995 chevy truck power steering pump with a factory stile pulley. It's my experience that the factory vacuum pump doesn't clear the DD lower part of the aluminum brackets. When deleting the trucks vacume pump I notice that the corvette LT1 block has the provisions for the mechanical vacuum pump just like the truck blocks, but it is just plug with 2 threaded plugs (the high pressure of the 2 holes could make for the ideal location for an after market oil pressure sending unit ). I talked to my wiring company and they told me that the 4 cylinder shot down program can be left out of the PCM, thus rendering the need for the mechanical vacuum pump unnecessary. In summary, you will need to source a Corvette or LS3 Gen IV water pump ($200), a power steering pump with pulley($50+$20), AC compressor($160), and V-velt ($45). In addition to DD alluminum conversion kit about $500. Total cost is about $1000 for the conversion.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Default Dirty Dingo LT power steering pump installed.

Here you can see the Dirty Dingo Gen V kit installed. They developed a set of patented water pump adapters (spacers) which relocate a Corvette or Camaro Gen IV water pump to the center of the Gen V engine. Once the new water pump is installed, the billet aluminum adapter plates are installed allowing the
mounting of the Power Steering Pump and other accessories.
Attached Thumbnails L83 power steering pump bracket-l83-full-kit1.jpg  
Old 01-25-2016, 08:33 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

mzrico,
Thanks for outlining and picturing your accessory work.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Default New GM engines Gen V are excellent for swaps.

Thank you jmd. I would not be able to do any of the many projects I've done over the years without the excellent information many other guys and girls post here. As with LS family engines, the new Gen 5 engines will become the predominant power plants of many future swaps. I hope to help others by sharing my Gen 5 first swap.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mzrico
Here you can see the Dirty Dingo Gen V kit installed. They developed a set of patented water pump adapters (spacers) which relocate a Corvette or Camaro Gen IV water pump to the center of the Gen V engine. Once the new water pump is installed, the billet aluminum adapter plates are installed allowing the
mounting of the Power Steering Pump and other accessories.
Ahh, at least I can finally pull the trigger on an L83, now to get the Oil Pan issue solved so it can fit in my 72 El Camino
Old 01-28-2016, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Default Gen 5 LT1 L83 power steering pump.

As expected, the after market is quickly responding to the new Gen V engine family. Now we have choices of systems to adapt a power steering pump to the Gen V engines. 1st the very well designed Dirty Dingo System, and now the awesome ICT Billet system became available.
The ICT system retains the factory location for the water pump and AC compressor, and it does not interact with the factory truck vacuum pump . It works by slightly relocating the factory alternator as the brackets add a perfect location for the new power steering pump.
The ICT system is a more economical one, since it only requires the purchase of their brackets (about $200), a power steering pump, lines, and belt (about $200). So ballpark ICT total cost $400 vs Dirty Dingo $1000.
Now keep in mine that Dirty Dingos estimate price includes the 508 Sanden stile AC compressor ($165). I read that the factory Gen V AC compressor can not be used when swapping the engine. If this is true (maybe someone can clear this AC compressor deal soon), we must factor that into the total cost. The other important factor to keep in mine is that the Dirty Dingo nicely relocates the AC and alternator to the top. Many of us know about frame notching on many cars to fit the LSx engines lower factory AC location. In terms of radiator fans to water pump space ICT set up allows more clearance.
It is good to have choices. Since every swap is different, it is awesome to have multiple alternatives to best fit the needs.
The photos show ICT Billet system. Thanks to Jared from ICT for the awesome information on their products.
Attached Thumbnails L83 power steering pump bracket-l83-tci3.jpg   L83 power steering pump bracket-l83-tci1.jpg   L83 power steering pump bracket-l83tci2.jpg  
Old 05-23-2016, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

Hello Mzrico. Looks like you are just about there! I'm assuming you have test fit the engine a time or two. Do you think the AC compressor would have cleared in its original location on the motor? Thanks
Old 05-28-2016, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Hello. The AC compressor does not clear in the stock location. I'm using the upper mounting location for mine. Also there is information that the factory compressor on Gen 5 engines works at lower than 12 volts. I'm not 100% sure if it could even be used on a swap. I'm hoping an expert on AC will give us an explanation soon.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:44 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks. I'm assuming there was some slight interference at the cross member. I will be going into a second gen F-body and will mount the engine as far forward as possible and do expect to have to notch the cross member in at least one place.

Just for those that want to know. I bought the ICT brackets to relocate the alternator and add a type 2 GM PS Pump. Everything fits together nicely. I also bought their motor mount plates. They look nice put the passenger side won't fit with the a/c compressor in the stock location. Oddly the a/c compressor is located where it is with their alternator/power steering pump brackets. Seems like ICT would have made these parts fit together. I'm getting back into it later today to see if I did something wrong so be sure to reserve judgement on their brackets until I report back.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bamabob
Thanks. I'm assuming there was some slight interference at the cross member. I will be going into a second gen F-body and will mount the engine as far forward as possible and do expect to have to notch the cross member in at least one place.

Just for those that want to know. I bought the ICT brackets to relocate the alternator and add a type 2 GM PS Pump. Everything fits together nicely. I also bought their motor mount plates. They look nice put the passenger side won't fit with the a/c compressor in the stock location. Oddly the a/c compressor is located where it is with their alternator/power steering pump brackets. Seems like ICT would have made these parts fit together. I'm getting back into it later today to see if I did something wrong so be sure to reserve judgement on their brackets until I report back.
Yes Bamabob please keep us posted!!!

Quick Reply: L83 power steering pump bracket