Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 Mustang 6.0 Turbo (eventually) Lots of pics.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Mustang 6.0 Turbo (eventually) Lots of pics.

So after long and hard thinking out the build in my head, Ive decided to go with a GM engine.

This is my 1993 Ford Mustang 2.3 car. Came with no interior other than a dash. The stock trans was sitting in the floor board and the 2.3 engine was resting in the bay with nothing hooked up. Perfect for me because it was all coming out anyways.

We started off ripping the 7.5" rear out and welding up the torque boxes, adding torque box reinforcements, and a set a Steeda subframe connectors.

You get the point....
Gonna be filling in some of the holes in the engine bay simple for aesthetics.

BTW, i have another late 80's coupe for sale with title, has some body issues, no interior, runs & drives. 2.3 auto. 600$

Ive known i was gonna go LS motor (even though im full pretty religious to ford) for awhile now. I waited to start a thread simply because i didnt have a motor yet. Well a couple days ago i finally acquired my motor and trans. I bought 2 chevy trucks for a good deal and sold one of them to my friend (he got an extremely good deal on it) and ended up with the motor and trans for my mustang for free. Its 05 LQ4 187,xxx miles, 4L80E trans.

My buddy is gonna get the crew cab back on the road, needs the rear out the truck im takin the motor from and a few other parts as well. The crew cab has 293,xxx miles and still runs strong.

We got pretty much everything pulled out the way last night to ****** the motor and trans tonight.

so originally i was plannin to build the 6.0 engine with forged rods and pistons. Now that i see the truck only has 187k and runs like a top.. Im fighting myself to lean one way or another. stock bottom or build it. Im not made of money so it was just take longer if i build the motor... i was lookin into texas speed at some rod and piston kits.. or leave stock...
Either way its getting a single turbo and gonna be tuned on e85.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

There should be a section in conversions and hybrids just for Mustang swaps. There was some talk of it awhile back.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 64post
There should be a section in conversions and hybrids just for Mustang swaps. There was some talk of it awhile back.
there definitely should be
Old 08-22-2016, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 64post
Originally Posted by Nali6.2
there definitely should be
I agree!!!!

OP, looks like you're making some progress! I would just go with a SBE and get that puppy running! They can take some abuse.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:28 PM
9 Second Club

abuse!! my 6.0 SBE gen 4 sees 300 hp regularly. tuff motors. good luck on your build
Old 08-23-2016, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bowtiedford
abuse!! my 6.0 SBE gen 4 sees 300 hp regularly. tuff motors. good luck on your build
Im plannin on the ole girl seein more than 300HP.
Ive decided not to go SBE. Im gonna rip it down this week, at the bare minimin she is gonna get forged pistons and new bearings but i think im gonna go with forged rods, pistons and new bearings in the bottom considering it has to be balanced either way. Hopefully if i do it right first time and keep mild boost on her ill only have to do it once...
Putting mild LS9 cam, LS2 front cover, trick flow double roller timing set, GM lifters, GM oil pump.
Im gonna call up texas speed and see what they suggest for pistons and rods. I dont know exactly what i should get as far as 6.098 or 6.125 rods. If they recommended 6.125 rods then a different CC piston will be needed to keep the ratio low. I want to keep the same stock 9.4:1 compression ratio. Gonna be runnin the 317 heads.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:51 AM
9 Second Club

sounds good, I have a fully built 428 with LS3 heads, 102 Fast intake and LLSR cam from Tick, my 6.0 makes just around 500hp so then I add my 300 shot lol. It's been running too good still for me to change out yet. I've gone 9:80's on a 150 shot and that's on a single stage and not the second stage. I've always liked the longer rod for better rod angle but when you get into strokers sometimes the wrist pin hole sits too high into the ring land. But that's another debatable subject lol.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:02 PM
Teching In

sounds good, I have a fully built 428 with LS3 heads, 102 Fast intake and LLSR cam from Tick, my 6.0 makes just around 500hp so then I add my 300 shot lol. It's been running too good still for me to change out yet. I've gone 9:80's on a 150 shot and that's on a single stage and not the second stage. I've always liked the longer rod for better rod angle but when you get into strokers sometimes the wrist pin hole sits too high into the ring land. But that's another debatable subject lol.
300 shot on SBE, thats pretty impressive.. especially in the 9's.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:02 PM
Teching In

and liftoff...

Made a huge mess... had to wash out the garage two nights in a row...

pulled the trans off.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:55 AM
Teching In

lots of sludge.
Everything in the motor looks decent. Gonna get a set of 4.005 pistons.
Im looking at buying Lunati Voodoo H beams and Wiseco K444X05 pistons with stock crank. Pistons are -11cc dish and rods are 6.125". should Put my compression ratio between 8.9:1 - 9.5:1 depending on how much material is taken off the face of block and heads. any input from the knowledgeable would be appreciated.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Ill get the crank out tonight. hopefully order the pistons and rods soon then get it off to the machine shop for balancing and hone.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Been working on the 93 a little bit here and there, just havent had time to post. So i bought a 90 convertible with an 8.8, 373 gears, c clip eliminators, ford posi trac unit, 5 lug axles, not sure what spline.. Paid 500$ for the whole car. Turns out the interior is real nice, got these bad as* white leather seats im gonna use in the car as well as the brand new carpet and gonna use all the dash, center console as well.
Got the rear out the car, busted it open and looked inside, all is well. Bought a Moser cover for it. royal purple 75-90 and ford modifier.
Got everything above the axle sanded and painted with Por-15. BTW, por-15 is some sweet stuff if you have never used it.
Rear end mounted with UPR upper and lower control arms, strange 10 way adjustable shocks, Team Z drag springs., anti roll bar installed too.
Bought a comp engineering cage as well, got the rest of the interior removed for that install, but i havent started that other than tackin in the main hoop plates to check it out. Got the front windshield removed by a professional so i didnt have to by a new one when i broke it... haha he charged me 40$ to remove it unbroken. Im sure forgetting some but Ill try to get back on more often.

thats the rear stance without spring isolators. itll fill the wheel well more when i get some 28's on her.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

Looks good. When you weld the tourque boxes do you add plates to the inside of them? Im working on an 87 and was planning on doing thisas well
Old 09-30-2016, 06:32 AM
9 Second Club

my torque boxes I just welded up along the perimeter. been holding fine for years. Mine is an auto so easy launches then a stick. Like all the suspension pieces you have. Same as mine but later I went to the DA Vikings in rear for more adjustability.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:35 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by joe8mx
300 shot on SBE, thats pretty impressive.. especially in the 9's.
150 shot gets me 9:60's
300 gets me well a lot faster lol
Old 09-30-2016, 06:40 AM
9 Second Club

I would get a nice cam for it, your leaving a lot of power with that cam. There are plenty of LS cams out there that have good drivability and make great power. Unlike the Ford 302 when doing a cam change you pickup maybe 25-40 hp. The LS motors respond well to cam changes. They can pickup 70-80 hp due to the cylinder heads. I'm not talking about race cams either, just a good hydraulic roller. My 9 sec car gets over 20 mpg with my cam and runs 10's NA
Old 09-30-2016, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by waltsfastz
Looks good. When you weld the tourque boxes do you add plates to the inside of them? Im working on an 87 and was planning on doing thisas well
We welded up the perimeter of the boxes while underneath there. The boxes from the factory are just spot welded.
The torque box reinforcements are sold to be welded in but they give you bolts to bolt them in place, then weld up afterwards. the upper toque box reinforcements i believe are a huge waste of time. I honestly dont see how they can add much extra rigidity, i personally think they just added weight... but i did install them then realized they aint much. The lowers def are gonna add way extra support to the boxes on launchin.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:16 PM
Teching In

I would get a nice cam for it, your leaving a lot of power with that cam. There are plenty of LS cams out there that have good drivability and make great power. Unlike the Ford 302 when doing a cam change you pickup maybe 25-40 hp. The LS motors respond well to cam changes. They can pickup 70-80 hp due to the cylinder heads. I'm not talking about race cams either, just a good hydraulic roller. My 9 sec car gets over 20 mpg with my cam and runs 10's NA
U are 100% correct. I more or less had the ls9 cam in mind for the cost and because i dont know anyone personally with the set up and wanted to see how it did. I may buy a more performance cam. I havent made it that far yet in the build. Im tryin to finish the body, then ill move the fun part, the heart and soul of the car...
Are any of your cars forced induction?
Old 09-30-2016, 01:58 PM
9 Second Club

Not sure if you had some.Mustangs before, but it's the uppers that get the most abuse and get pulled out. We have done over maybe 10 over the years and mostly uppers is what gets damaged. The uppers are being pulled away on the launch, pulling on the torque boxes. The lowers are pushing in on the torque boxes. So pull apart or push in if you can imagine how it works.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:32 PM
Teching In

havent worked on the car in awhile but steady buying parts.
I been messing with it again past could days, pulled spindles/brakes off a 95 mustang v6, i kept the axle with the disc brakes in case i deside to use those too.
i got all the cage in the car cept for the back bars and door bars, as i need a bender to finish them.
Got K member in car, and mocked up the engine with the 4L80E, cut the tunnel out.
I got heads cleaned up, disassembled them, reassembled one with new springs and seals. Now ive decided to take it back apart and port them.

Quick Reply: 93 Mustang 6.0 Turbo (eventually) Lots of pics.