Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Have stock manifolds fit in a 1st Gen with Hooker 12618HKR Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

Default Anyone Have stock manifolds fit in a 1st Gen with Hooker 12618HKR Mounts?

Hey LS1tech,

I'm looking to see if there are possibly any stock manifolds out there that will fit with Hooker's 12618HKR engine mounts. They are the re-designed mounts that sit the motor lower in the frame. So far I have tried 98-99 and 00-02 Fbody manifolds, as well as LS3 manifolds from the GMPP 430 HP engine. I believe the are the same as the 5th gen Camaro. Both have fit on the passenger's side, but hit on the power steering box.

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck? I don't have any, but I have heard that possibly the C6 (not LS7) or TBSS manifolds may work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I want to get the car moving under it's own power to make things much easier when my wife and I move at the end of November.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 10-13-2016, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

For what it's worth, the 00-02 passenger side fits perfectly.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone had luck with the CTS-V manifolds?
Old 10-18-2016, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS1's

Old 10-18-2016, 09:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this set.How bout these?
Old 10-18-2016, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I tried those Hayabusa, and unfortunately the driver's side hits the steering box pretty badly. Thanks though.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought I would update this thread for anyone else in my position. I was able to get the 00-02 Manifolds to fit, but it took some major modifications. Not bad if you have the tools. I had to cut off the O2 sensor boss and smooth off the driver's manifold. The problem is it only clears by about 1/8". I think it should be enough, but does anyone have any feedback?

I preheated the manifold before I welded it, so hopefully it is a good weld. For me they are going to be a temporary until I buy the headers from Hooker.

De-burred inside with my carbide.

Now it was hard to get a good angle, but this is the clearance that I have for the steering box.

For those interested. They clear, but barely.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any updates on this? What did you weld it with?
I am going to use the same manifolds for now until I build a turbo kit.
I'm going to lower the car a bit so full length headers may be a no go for me also.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Take that to a machine shop and have them angle mill the mounting flange,will move the outlet away from the steering box.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's funny that you replied back because I just finished figuring out my header situation. I decided that with a gasket that the fbody manifolds will just be too close for my comfort. And if I clearance them for fitment and weld in another piece, it was going to be too much of a reduction in flow.

A buddy had a set of the cheap stainless steel shorty swap headers from eBay and that is the route that I opted for. The passenger side fits perfectly, but the driver's side had the typical steering box clearance issue. I decided to finally pull the trigger and slightly dent the primary tube, and it surprisingly fit with minimal distortion.

I ended up cutting off the 3 bolt flange and welded on a set of vband's for the likely turbo in the future. Finished product, not the best welds, but my first time welding stainless.

And the finished product. The dent in the tube looks much worse than it really is.

And here is how the passenger side fits. Works perfectly with zero modifications.

I can post better pictures later. I am going to cut the flange off and weld on a vband when I get it in the mail.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just put a set of fbody manis on my swap.
I don't wanna spend money on headers if my ultimate goal is a single turbo.
I tried fbody shorty headers and they don't fit the driver side at all.
The driver side without the shield is very close, I'm still going to use it as I don't think any other stock mani will fit at all with a stock steering box.
I do wanna weld up or plug the o2 sensor hole.
Do you know what those headers came off of?
I wonder if you could have cut the tube at the flange a bit, then pushed it in and reweld at the flange to get the #1 tube away from the box.

Also you tig welding ?
Old 08-07-2017, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm assuming that you are running the Holley mounts since this is what I started this thread for. Once I welded it up, the manifold was just too close for comfort with a gasket on the motor. I didn't test it, but guarantee that when the motor rocked side to side that it would contact the steering box. The only way to get the Fbody manifold in there is to weld up the 02 bung. I just welded mine with a regular mig argon/c02 mix with .023 wire. Another reason that kept me away from the stock manifold was the longevity of that weld. No visible cracks, but with heat cycles who knows.

The headers that I ended up using are the ones that are on eBay sold as universal shorty headers. They are around $160 shipped which is incredibly cheap.

I actually have the same goal as you which is why I added a vband to my driver side header. I plan to build a turbo log for the passenger side and bring the crossover from the driver's side leaving it in the standard position.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes sir I have the holly mount setup also.
I mounted my fbody mani and it didn't hit, it's close though.
I need to cut n weld up the bung also

Quick Reply: Anyone Have stock manifolds fit in a 1st Gen with Hooker 12618HKR Mounts?