Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1965 Cadillac Eldorado LSx conversion- need help/recommendation needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1965 Cadillac Eldorado LSx conversion- need help/recommendation needed

I am new at this game, so need help and recommendation for 1965 Cadillac Eldorado LSx conversion.

I want to avoid going the most expensive road and buying Corvette/Camaro engines. So, my question would be which engine/tranny combo should I be looking into.

Should I choose one of the truck engines such as 6.2 L from Escallade or GMC Denali?

Should I instead be looking at 5.3L truck engines?

Should I go for any of the 5.3L car engines?

What tranny should I be looking for?

What about wire harness?

What about all the accessories - A/C compressor, alternator an so forth?

Just want to mention that I want something newer with low miles. Picking up from junk yard and/or eBay is not a problem

Also if anyone can recommend a modern type frame for 65 Caddy it would be super. I know Schwartz performance makes awesome frames but they don't make it for 1965 Cadillac Convertable

Any help would be highly appreciated
Old 01-01-2017, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like you want to go cheaper route. I would suggest a express van or Silverado 2wd for a donor. Buy a wreck with lower miles and get what you need. Sell or scrap left over parts. Wiring can be from donor. Lt1Swap.com has great wiring info. 4.8--5.3--6.0 is available in trucks/ suvs/ vans. Go 2wd so tranny go in no hassle of rear shaft changing. Happy searching
Old 01-01-2017, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Thank you 76larkman. I was wondering on the figment. How does Express van engine would fit under the Caddy's hood?

It doesn't have to dirt cheap. I also want horsepower to be close to 400hp stock
Old 01-01-2017, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you should also look for something with a 4l80e trans, so at least 3/4 ton.
Is the frame bad on the car?
Old 01-01-2017, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your wanting 400 "stock" then you will have to do 6.2.
As far as hood clearance with truck intake, you will have to see how low you can set your motor

Last edited by slocaddy; 01-04-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Slocaddy, thank you. That is what I thought. I know 6.2L makes minimum 403 hp in stock form in a Caddy or Denali. And newer versions are all the way up to 420hp. The question I have if it makes sense to do it or just grab some nicely rebuilt or crated engines with already done modifications an increased horsepower.

Expense wise what one would have to spend in comparison of getting already upgraded engine?

Thanks about tranny info.

Frame is fine but I want to modernize the ride. So, I thought something similar to Schwartz performance frames and suspension

If someone has more details that can be shared, it would be awesome

Last edited by Falcolion; 01-02-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I put a crown Vic front end under my caddy, made my swap much easier and got me all the modern upgrades.
How bout finding a 2wd escalade motor and trans? It has would be your 6.2 and a 6l80e trans, and would be suitable I imagine the 6l80e will take more trans tunnel mods, but even the 4l80e in mine required some work
Old 01-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Teching In

I just finished a 6.0/4L80E in 68 Coupe de Ville. Had to modify the trans tunnel, but no other major problems. Owner is very pleased with power and drivability.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are a few companies that can help you out with a modern frame,check out these guys:

https://www.artmorrison.com/homepage2.php

As others have suggested,nothing wrong with getting a solid good running truck engine,there are plenty of choices for front accessory mounts from Holley,Kwik and others,the stock truck stuff does require some height under the hood.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hotrod51
I just finished a 6.0/4L80E in 68 Coupe de Ville. Had to modify the trans tunnel, but no other major problems. Owner is very pleased with power and drivability.
So where are the build pics???? Wanna see!
Old 01-03-2017, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hotrod51
im in the process of putting a 4l60 in my 64 coupe. how much did you need to cut out to fit the 4l80? it looks like I have to trim by the upper bell housing bolts. did you have to cut around the servo to fit it in the 65?
Old 01-03-2017, 09:39 PM
Teching In

68 has an almost flat floor, due to the engine being pushed forward. Now the trans tunnel looks like a normal car.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tfi racing
There are a few companies that can help you out with a modern frame,check out these guys:

https://www.artmorrison.com/homepage2.php

As others have suggested,nothing wrong with getting a solid good running truck engine,there are plenty of choices for front accessory mounts from Holley,Kwik and others,the stock truck stuff does require some height under the hood.
Thank. I actually planning to call Art Morrison as well as Roadster Shop

Since I got 1965 Eldorado convertible I think Roadster shop might be a better choice. The problem is that hey only list up to 1964. From what I found 65-66 only had some minor frame mod. So, hopefully their frame would fit right in.

BY the way 1965-66 and I think 64 with 429 CI had 3 speed THM-400.
THM400 was later succeeded by 4L80E and later by 4L85E.

Based on my research bellhousing are very close if not identical but the newer trannies are about 1.5 inches longer at the tail. So, shorter driveshaft might be needed or maybe engine/tranny assembly could be moved forward just a bit.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Falcolion

Since I got 1965 Eldorado convertible I think Roadster shop might be a better choice. The problem is that hey only list up to 1964. From what I found 65-66 only had some minor frame mod. So, hopefully their frame would fit right in.

Based on my research bellhousing are very close if not identical but the newer trannies are about 1.5 inches longer at the tail. So, shorter driveshaft might be needed or maybe engine/tranny assembly could be moved forward just a bit.
The old caddys used turbo 400's, but they do have a different bell housing shape/bolt pattern.
My caddy had a long tail shaft th400, so the 4l80e was actually shorter and required a longer driveshaft
Old 01-04-2017, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

If you have the budget for a custom frame, why are you even talking about junk yard engines? Seriously?

What is it with the newbies lately...

Andrew
Old 01-04-2017, 02:49 PM
Launching!

that's what I was thinking....you price out the Schwartz chassis yet? LOL

keep your Cadillac a Cadillac please...the only suitable LS would be a CTSV LSA swap.
otherwise buy a chebby to cut up and mod.

Last edited by A_VAS; 01-04-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Who said I want junk yard engines? I think crated engines from Chevy performance are a good way to go. If you lucky you get very low mile engine for around $4+ kthen adding all updates you are closer, if not higher, then Chevy engines.

I did priced Schwartz. Not cheap but excellent.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am new at this game, so need help and recommendation for 1965 Cadillac Eldorado LSx conversion.

I want to avoid going the most expensive road and buying Corvette/Camaro engines. So, my question would be which engine/tranny combo should I be looking into.

Should I choose one of the truck engines such as 6.2 L from Escallade or GMC Denali?

Should I instead be looking at 5.3L truck engines?

Should I go for any of the 5.3L car engines?

What tranny should I be looking for?

What about wire harness?

What about all the accessories - A/C compressor, alternator an so forth?

Just want to mention that I want something newer with low miles. Picking up from junk yard and/or eBay is not a problem

Also if anyone can recommend a modern type frame for 65 Caddy it would be super. I know Schwartz performance makes awesome frames but they don't make it for 1965 Cadillac Convertable

Any help would be highly appreciated
You might as well go big. If you are going to get a modern frame, why not an engine bigger than the 5.3? The 5.3 car engines won't work since they are transverse, avoid those, those are called an LS4. If you want a 6.0 car engine then get one from Pontiac G8 GT, that's an L76. You can also find a 6.0 from a Caprice PPV, that's an L77, same as the G8's except it can accommodate E-85. You should probably get a 4L85E. You can probably get away with the truck accessories if your hood will clear the truck manifold.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Launching!

truck manifold and accessory drive most likely not work with the low hood line of a 65 cad.

If it were mine, I'd probably either do a supercharged LSA engine (if budget is big)....or if budget smaller get a 6.0 or 6.2 truck engine with square port (ls3 L92 type) heads, put a 4" stroke rotating assembly in it...and top with a car LS3 intake. This will give great low end torque and get the heavy car with very little gear in it = moving along quick. Similar result to the supercharged engine.
The LS3 car intake will give good low hood clearance.
Accessory drive you can mock up corvette or fbody accessories and see if close...or look at the many aftermarket solutions out there now. This will be a trial and error portion as I doubt you will find info on what fits the engine cradle/steering etc.

if you can mount the engine low and push it back towards the firewall, then you might have room for a truck intake and I'm sure the truck pulley spacing would work..just maybe not the very high mount of the alternator with the standard truck bracket, I'm pretty sure this would hit the hood.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Didn't the 65 have like a 429 big block/TH400 from the factory? As I recall that motor was huge, Would it really be that tight to drop a 2wd LQ9 engine and tranny package in ? Other than the tunnel room of course... The 6L80 is a bit bigger at the tail.

Cant wait to see how this one goes.. I'd think the truck package would be perfect for a 5000 lb car.. The 6L80 would make it quite a cruiser..

Quick Reply: 1965 Cadillac Eldorado LSx conversion- need help/recommendation needed