Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone used stainless steel flexible radiator hoses?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Has anyone used stainless steel flexible radiator hoses?

I am trying to plumb the radiator hoses in my originally aircooled Porsche from the front to the engine in the back.

There are some areas with tight/weird bends. Has anyone used those flexible stainless steel radiator hoses? Is it a good option to try and go with?

-Don
Old 03-23-2017, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Yes i have them on my LSx swapped Kia Sorento! They are AWESOME but pretty expensive! At least the ones i got from Summit Racing. They were almost $80 each. I also used the Mr. Gasket stainless flex hoses for my heater hoses as well. If you would like pictures of how tight they can bend i can get some for you. I got them in red. They work fantastic and do NOT leak.
If you have any other questions about them just ask!
Old 03-23-2017, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea, pictures would be awesome if you can post some up. Comparing the costs between regular molded hoses and the flex hoses actually isn't too bad. Some of the molded hoses I was trying to look at were already $15 - $30 each, and I may have needed more than one to complete the path I was trying to route them through.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

My only gripe is the red powder coat hasn't held up the best.
I am running a 2010 Camaro water pump because my Ly6 has VVT and I needed it to clear the cam cover. You can see how little clearance there can be depending on your drive setup. I am using truck brackets on mine.

Not sure why it shows double pics. I can't fix that from this app though.
I wish they used Tapatalk.

Has anyone used stainless steel flexible radiator hoses?-forumrunner_20170323_142226.png

Has anyone used stainless steel flexible radiator hoses?-forumrunner_20170323_142106.png

Has anyone used stainless steel flexible radiator hoses?-forumrunner_20170323_142117.png

Has anyone used stainless steel flexible radiator hoses?-forumrunner_20170323_142127.png
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone used stainless steel flexible radiator hoses?-forumrunner_20170323_142057.png  
Old 03-23-2017, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Seems like this may be another good alternative, since gates is usually fairly well known for their radiator hoses.

Originally Posted by BadRabbit
My only gripe is the red powder coat hasn't held up the best.
I am running a 2010 Camaro water pump because my Ly6 has VVT and I needed it to clear the cam cover. You can see how little clearance there can be depending on your drive setup. I am using truck brackets on mine.

Not sure why it shows double pics. I can't fix that from this app though.
I wish they used Tapatalk.

How is the radiator side of the hose clamped down?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Nguyen
Seems like this may be another good alternative, since gates is usually fairly well known for their radiator hoses.

That's what I used and it worked for me. I don't have any good pictures of the bottom one.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by squarles67
That's what I used and it worked for me. I don't have any good pictures of the bottom one.

Is it the gates brand or another brand? Seems like Dayco also makes something similar for half the cost, and is apparently slightly more flexible as well.

From what I was reading, people said that the Gates hose is suppose to harden moreso into the shape that you bend it into once it has gone through a few heat cycles? Is that true somewhat in your experience with your hose?
Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I honestly don't remember the brand, I'll look tomorrow and see if it's on there. I bought them at the local NAPA auto parts.

I haven't had them off yet so I can't comment how well they hold their shape. They were certainly a whole lot cheaper than those stainless ones.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Don Nguyen

The radiator has the same clamps but they are just hidden under the beauty covers.

If that is the ribbed rubber flex hose with the spring inner lining that stuff is utter CRAP for small radius bends. That is the only hose available for the Pontiac Fiero (another passion of mine) and they have some tight bends. Those always end up kinking. After a while and a bunch of heat cycles they always kink even with the steel spring inside. It just bends the spring wherever the tightest spot of the radius is. They also are not too pretty if you want a show or OEM look to it. No offense to anyone that uses them and likes them but they have been the subject of MANY curse words from my mouth.

Quick Reply: Has anyone used stainless steel flexible radiator hoses?