Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is BCM necessary if you don't reprobram PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is BCM necessary if you don't reprobram PCM?

I've done a lot of searching and have not found clear answers to these questions:

1. Does anyone sell a device that will send the fuel enable signal to the PCM if you don't have a BCM?

2. Correct me if I'm wrong but there are two ways to get the engine to run. Reprogram the PCM or run a BCM (of course dealing with the VATS issue).

Brian
Old 08-11-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 914turboford
I've done a lot of searching and have not found clear answers to these questions:

1. Does anyone sell a device that will send the fuel enable signal to the PCM if you don't have a BCM?

2. Correct me if I'm wrong but there are two ways to get the engine to run. Reprogram the PCM or run a BCM (of course dealing with the VATS issue).

Brian

1) yeah....a relay.....

2) BCM is for interior stuff.....air bags, windows, security system, etc......PCM is the engine controls......
Old 08-11-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
1) yeah....a relay.....

2) BCM is for interior stuff.....air bags, windows, security system, etc......PCM is the engine controls......

1) umm, no. dude, the "Fuel Enable" signal is a signal.. not power...
depending on the year, it could be expecting a squarewave pulse at a specific frequency, or it could require a serial data confirmation.

2) is correct... you do not need the BCM to run

Brian

1. yes, however, if you can use it or not depends on your setup. like i said above, some systems use a pulse. a box can be bought to output this pulse. others use serial data. this isnt easily duplicated.

2. assuming you use a pulse, and not serial data, using the box mentioned above will make it run. however, you need to get it programmed anyway. alot of people dont realize this, and they waste money on boxes and other misc things to get it to work.. the PCM has codes that will be thrown.. most likely, you dont have a gas tank pressure sensor... or one of 100 other things that its looking for. all this is EASILY taken care of with a program like HPtuners, or by sending it to someone who has a program like that. but it needs to be done anyway. honestly, i wouldnt consider doing a swap like this unless i owned a laptop and software like HPtuners. heres a screenshot of how easy it is when you have the software:
just click it off.... lol
Attached Thumbnails Is BCM necessary if you don't reprobram PCM?-vats.jpg  
Old 08-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a cheap alternative until you get your pcm reprogramed. You can get everything at Radio Shack.
Attached Thumbnails Is BCM necessary if you don't reprobram PCM?-passkey.jpg  
Old 08-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

so would this work http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-VA...QQcmdZViewItem ?????
Old 08-11-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 79ls1
yup... as far as bypassing the VATS goes.

you'll still have other codes thrown.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Default Im am a sponsor, its not posted yet.

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
ok, ive had it with you.

if you're going to suggest yourself as a solution in every post, either become a sponsor, or get the fug out of dodge. im reporting your post, and i suggest others do the same.

and FYI, the same 50Hz VATS modules that worked in the late 80s are still working today.
I am a sponsor, as of this morning.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Default Thank you

Please re-read the wording, the relation in design, is not in signal but in the voltage supplied to the aftermarket vats modules. In please keep in mind, the material I quote is verifiable in any GM Schematic. I thank you for doing you job.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Will the coads throwen effect the performance untill it gets tuned? thanks for the info I get alittle sketchie on ebay.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Default Codes

If you have the vats signal either present, ok for factory vehicle or have the vats removed, unless the computer is set up right, it will not run at full potential. What are you using this vehicle for.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

its pure enjoyment im just a budget builder that cant afford the programing yet. It would be nice to have hp tuners for the 79/01 project and my 99 h/c daily driver. I was just wondering I have o2 sims for the back and I understand that its going to throw some egr codes and a fule pressure, just wondering if ill be able to fire it up only buying the vatsby pass,with the wiring harness that I have already cut up and spliced to fit. I just want to back it out of the driveway and do a cuple of burn outs!!!!!! untill I can do it right Thanks
pj

Last edited by 79ls1; 08-11-2005 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

Thank you for all the input. I'm the guy that asked the original two questions. BTW, I'm not doing an LS1 swap. I'm putting a 1997 Camaro 3.8 V6 in a '75 Volvo that is now four wheel drive. I started it for the first time today and it ran for a second or two as I would expect without the fuel enable signal. Does the fact that I'm using the '97 3.8 effect the answers to the above questions?
Brian
Old 08-12-2005, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Thank you for all the input. I'm the guy that asked the original two questions. BTW, I'm not doing an LS1 swap. I'm putting a 1997 Camaro 3.8 V6 in a '75 Volvo that is now four wheel drive. I started it for the first time today and it ran for a second or two as I would expect without the fuel enable signal. Does the fact that I'm using the '97 3.8 effect the answers to the above questions?
Brian
nope.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

I bought one of these from Baker on Ebay. $28 shipped. Plugged it in and the car started right up. Hope it keeps working for a while. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-V...Qcmd ZViewItem
Old 08-26-2005, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Not to hi-jack but I'm having the same problem. But my issue is that if I get the VATS tuned out how do I get everything else to read such as my power-windows, radio, a/c, fuel gauge, etc. Because I'm running a stand-alone wiring harness for the motor. Is their some way I can wire it into the harness to get it to work. (LS1 into a 2001 Jimmy) Any help appreciated because I'm to far along and to much money invest and this has me in a deep hole.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2005, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

I don't pretend to be too knowlegable here but if the BCM from your Jimmy sends the same fuel enable code couldn't you just keep VATS active? I think it would send the same code.
Brian

Quick Reply: Is BCM necessary if you don't reprobram PCM?