Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0/4L80e into '94 Firebird V6

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0/4L80e into '94 Firebird V6

I know I've probably picked the hardest possible swap within the same body style that one could think of but I'm looking into this and I'm trying to get an idea as to what it would actually take to perform this swap, Can anyone give me any info at all on doing this swap ??

I'm specifically looking for:

* Engine fitment issues (other than the truck intake...I know about that one)
* Transmission fitment (other than driveshaft length and u-joint)
* Accessory and bracket compatibility
* Wiring harness issues
* Gauge cluster compatibility
* Fuel pump and line compatibility

Thanks in advance !!!
Old 07-09-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

if you find any wiring schematics for the 94 model year (v8 is what im really looking for) could you please pass the info a long? i havent been able to find it yet.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

http://home.att.net/~subzero350/94CamaroLT1.zip

Try that.....

Now answer MY question
Old 07-09-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Yelo
http://home.att.net/~subzero350/94CamaroLT1.zip

Try that.....

Now answer MY question
thats exactly what i was looking for!

ok for your questions..

the swap will be easiest from what i know if you:

1. switch the oil pan out for an ls1 fbody pan

2. switch all front accessories out for ls1 fbody accessories (or see if you can just get the fbody mounts to work with the truck parts)

3. it would be easiest to get a 99+ harness and ecu from an fbody and then just get a 99+ gauge cluster. im not sure why that cluster wouldnt just swap right into your firebird dash seeing as the dashes didnt appear to change in style from 93-02.

3. swap out your tank with a 99+ unit and i would upgrade to a walbro 255lph at the same time that way you have enough pump and you would be able to use stock fbody lines as well

4. for tranny fitment and harness mods check the auto tranny forum here as it would be just like swapping an 80e into a stock ls1 fbody from this point so the mods should be the same.

ok that should get you started. im not sure if all this is the best way to go or if the gauge cluster idea would even work, but it should get you started in the right direction.

thanks again for that harness info!
Old 07-09-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks !!!

I plan on using a Walbro 255 external pump instead of relying on an in-tank pump (also simplifies the swap a little as I can leave the stock takn in place)

I'm already looking for an f-body oil pan and accessory brackets...hopefully all of the accessories off the 3.4 will bolt to the f-body brackets (something's got to be easy about this swap, right ??)

I already have a complete harness and PCM from an '00 f-body (was for another project that never got off the ground) and I'm looking for an '00 gauge cluster as we speak, my concerns here lie around the swap from OBDI to OBD II and whether I'm going to have to rewire the ENTIRE car to make this swap work (might not be feasible)

Tranny swap looks like it'll be fairly painless...at least according to what I've read on here, I'll have to use a custom .bin file and harness adapter to make it all talk

Anybody know if the 3.4 uses a return-style fuel system ???

Last edited by Yelo; 07-09-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you are curious about the OBD I to OBD II swap, look no further than the LT1 section on cz28.com. lots of guys over there go back and forth so it should be pretty well mapped out.

i would ASSume that the 3.4 uses a return style fuel system as it would have been cheaper for gm to do so and you know how car companies are about saving a dime or two.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:45 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Make sure to get the windage tray, pickup, dipstick and dipstick tube for an f-body.

You will also have to change to an f-body intake, injectors and fuel rail so that it clears the hood and alternator.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Got all that....
Old 07-09-2006, 11:21 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Got all that....
Engine fitment issues (other than the truck intake...I know about that one)
I was on that one, I didn`t reread the original post today.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

hopefully all of the accessories off the 3.4 will bolt to the f-body brackets (something's got to be easy about this swap, right ??)
I wouldn't count on that!

GM's so wacky that even parts that look like they ought to fit don't. For example, the 145 amp truck alternator doesnt' mount up to the C5 alternator bracket. The pulley is in the correct spot, the alternator fits in the location (and everything lines up properly), but the two bolt holes don't match up. Miss by about a hole diameter (about 3/8" or so). Ask me how I know....

So, I would say don't plan on the 3.4l parts fitting or it being easy. Maybe somebody knows for certain, but I would expect them to not interchange.

Also, the truck water pump and harmonic balancer are different than f-body pieces. They're both about 2" longer (closer to the radiator / further away from the block) which means they won't work with f-body access either.

'JustDreamin'

Quick Reply: 6.0/4L80e into '94 Firebird V6